Master and Commander

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Boring.

2/5 stars.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Saw it last night.

I'd probably give it a touch more in the ratings area.

The film is definately slow, and while there was a lot of character development (which is good), it was hard to keep track of who was who as everyone looks alike, sounds alike, and dresses alike.

I assume the filmmakers were going for ultrarealism, and if so, great. That ultrarealism, however, is what made the movie plod forward and allowed for all the time to develop characters. In other words, that's why it was so boring to some. It didn't help that the battle scenes didn't pay off. You kind of get some great scenes, but the realism keeps the fighting short, and the bad direction keeps the cameras bouncing and makes it hard to see anything. I'm not a big fan of making the camera move to give the impression of chaos. I think its a cheap trick to avoid effects and avoid a bigger scene that the director must not know how to shoot.

Only two characters really kept me interested: the doctor and the little blonde kid whose name I still don't know.

Still, its an interesting take on that period's naval warfare and the boring parts aren't the most boring ever shot, they just seem that way.

If you're an action junkie, skip this film. If you're into the era and character development, then give it a peek.

5 out of 10. Your mood will really be important to your enjoyment of this film.

A better "boat" movie is Das Boot.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

You kind of get some great scenes, but the realism keeps the fighting short, and the bad direction keeps the cameras bouncing and makes it hard to see anything. I'm not a big fan of making the camera move to give the impression of chaos.

Amen.
It's not me, it's someone else.