Cabela's African Safari

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

So I've got a hillbilly cousin. He's not really a hillbilly, but he lives in Swanton a suburb of Toledo affectionately called "Swantucky".

Anyway, he had this game and I tried it at his insistence. He's an avid hunter and not much a of a game player, so he's the ideal audience for this game.

I'm not. Still, I went ahead and beat the game as it only took a couple of hours and I wanted to be fair in my review. (Plus, I didn't have any other games I was currently playing through.)

So the point of the game is to become a great hunter by killing pretty much every different animal in Africa.

You visit 4 or 5 countries and have a guide, porter, and someone else (maybe a tracker) helping you throughout. The guide gives you a run down of the terrain, which is really pointless. The porter tells you which gun to use. The tracker tells you where the animals are, which is useless since each area is rather small.

The realism is jacked up here though as you have a radar which shows where the animals are, if they're predators or not, their range of detection, and if they've been spooked. Other realistic touches include swarms of red bugs that fly over important animal tracks, animal tracks you haven't found yet appearing on your radar, and all animals' keen ability to know what a gun shot is and where it came from.

Missions varied between kill x, track x and kill it, ride jeep and kill x, or ride boat and kill x.

The kill x missions would very only in the number of animals you needed to kill. They always tell you to look for the darkest and largest beast as they're the best trophies, but they don't say you HAVE to kill only them. I found out during an elephant that this isn't the case. After killing a bull elephant on my elephant hunt, I was docked 100 points and told that it wasn't my target. I then killed a larger bull and was rewarded. Stupid.

Track x and kill it missions require you to go to each animal track location (conveniently shown on your radar) then x will appear and you can pop a cap in its ass.

Ride a jeep and kill x missions are the worst. Early on they start off easy, but later your jeep always seems to be running behind the herd. You will honestly feel like you're in slow motion.

Ride a boat and kill x missions can be completed in about 30 seconds. Really.

Crap.

I know I'm not the core audience this game is intended for, but I am a gamer and I know a shitty game when I see one.

2 out of 10.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Maybe...MAYBE... if you didn't solo every shit game that is released, you'd have more time to stick with a single game and multi with friends? A game like ET:QW?

Seriously, I estimate you finish more solo games every year than the rest of us combined.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Just to set the record straight, I did not hack Gordon's account so I could bitch about Leisher's lack of multi-play. That's Gordon typing my thoughts. :-) They really do read like my posts used to.

Oh, and he finishes more solo games in an average week than I have my entire life. :-) I think I've finished up to 5 games.

Edited By Cakedaddy on 1197307503
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Maybe if the people I played with were more challenging than badly scripted AI gazelles...

For the record, most games I solo aren't shitty. Some are, for certain. However, the majority are good games.

As I pointed out in the other thread, I multi a lot, just not with you all so much any more. I want to but our plans always fall through and/or we can't find a game that all of us want to play.

Our multi game attempts--

Gordon: Let's multi.
Leisher: Ok, what game?
Cake: CS
Gordon: Serious Sam 2
Leisher Ok

Weeks of bug ridden play later...

Gordon: Star Wars: Battlefront
Leisher: Ok.

Fun is had by all for a week or two...

Leisher: DoctorChaos, get this game it's fun we multi all the time.
Paul: (I think it was Paul) I've got it now, let's play.

With no explanation Star Wars: Battlefront is never played again.

Gordon: Star Wars: Galaxies
Leisher: Ok.

A lot of playing and not much fun later.

Cake: CS or EVE
Gordon: EVE?
Leisher (and many on this board): Ok.

Decades of slow torture is endured by all until 2 months later everyone realizes it's not fun to as your virtual character studies.

and on and on and on and on and on.

Part of this all is our fault. We can't find a game everyone agrees on.

Part of this is the general state of gaming's fault as we can't find a game everyone agrees on.

There are several MMOs coming down the pike that I would be interested in trying (Firefly, Star Trek, KOTOR, Marvel, etc.). Not saying I'll jump into them on day 1 as I'd like to hear reviews first, except for maybe Firefly.

We can't multi RPGs unless Hellgate London can do more than 2 peeps in co-op? I'd do that in a heartbeat.

RTSs have sort of sucked lately, although I have heard decent things about World in Conflict (I think that's the one)...

FPSs are a mixed bag as always. I'd like to do more co-op stuff or more involved versus type games rather than just standard death match stuff. BUT (Before Gordon screams out "ET:QW"), I'd also like to know that more than two of us are gettng it. I don't care about playing with a bunch of strangers. That's not fun to me. I fucking hate people. I barely tolerate logging onto poker servers to take strangers' money.

I'd probably pick up ET:QW if I knew our group was going to multi it.

Ditto for Battelfield (not the SW version) or Call of Duty 4 (I hear that's the new big dog on the block), etc.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

EVE was just too much of a job to keep up on all the equipment/skill/ship combos going on. Seriously, I ain't got eight hours a day to figure out how to blow up my opponent half a second before he kills me.

I mean, goddamn, if you'd willing folk, you could turn an appropriately skilled UO character into a respectable PvPer before too long. Once you hit 7x GM, that was it. Your skills were capped. Equipment was pretty much standard & ain't no one willing to waste their vanq kat in a volatile PvP environment. Then those fucking bless deeds came along.

Edited By Malcolm on 1197319828
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I can't see ever doing a MMO game again. Too much time required. I'll probably stick to fast action multi games like C&C3, or strategic FPS's like...oh, ET:QW.

And Leisher's example shows that at least I try to fish around and find a game everyone will play. My SW:BF server ran for almost a year and I could never get more than one person on it at a time.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

The MMO'd've to be insanely well designed. Like, specifically for me. I don't think that market would be that big, so ain't nothing like that e'er getting developed.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Hell, I enjoyed the Alien v. Predator 2 we had running, but peeps stopped showing up to play, probably because of my l33t Pred skillz.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Gordon and I multi games all the time. Many of which you have in your library, but choose to play by yourself, FYI. Neverwinter Nights being one of them. Speaking of which, we need to fire that back up post haste. Look for a phone call about it this week if you are still interested Gordon. Just pointing out that you pass up multi type opportunities all the time.

I don't understand why we aren't playing Supreme Commander. It's a great game.

I don't remember having that many people on the Battlefront server. Wasn't it all bots?

Eve was fun until CCP really started cheating. It had a large learning curve. But it was great because people of all skill levels could participate in large fleet battles. If you wanted to solo Eve, well, then, I dunno. Shortly after you guys all jumped ship, the game became MUCH different due to Troy figuring alot out and we hooked up with IRON. Finding PvP wasn't a 4 hour trip with one bite. It was very much like UO was. You stake out your enemy, jump them, run when they rally their numbers, etc. But, people said they "didn't have time for it". But, they played OTHER games for many more hours!!

Star Wars Galaxies was Trammel UO with different costumes. No looting? What the fuck?

I dunno. When Gordon and I decide to do it, we multi. It's everyone else that we have trouble with. I'm not going to try Quake though cause he won't try CS. :-) Hell, it wasn't all that long ago that we were playing X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter.

I'd like to vote Sup Com for now. We all own it, why the hell don't we play it?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Only problem I have with SupCom is that my machine can't handle it. Give me your old machine from a year ago, and it's probably still faster than mine.

And I gave CS about 10 hours, and I just couldn't find the groove. This was before Punkbusters, though, so maybe the little things that bugged me like being spotted through walls might have gotten fixed... but whatever. Old game.

I see ET:QW sort of a cross, gameplay-wise, between TFC and CS, with missions, and a good assortment of vehicles that actually are useful. You should give it a shot, CAKEDADDY. You might like it. And unlike CS, I enjoy it. You can even get your kid on or whatever.

NO ROCKET JUMPING. That's about the only thing that I didn't like about the original TFC. Goddam strategic bottlenecks getting bypassed completely by retard rocket jumpers.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

And I was having a lot of fun with XvT last year (or whenever it was) before you disappeared.

And I am down with more NWN. Just don't think I'm trying to "make friends." I just enjoy being entertained. It's sort of my entire purpose for playing video games.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Sup Com. Ever try it on a smaller scale? Smaller map? Remember how TA lagged to unplayability during our dial-up days? We'd just scale things down some. My first few games of SupCom lagged out too. But then I got better at it and was able to pretty much defeat the AI before they got too big where my machine would slow down. My machine one year ago was a one year older version of the version I had the year before that. In other words, I'm running on 2+ year old hardware. I believe you have a better CPU than me. I might have a better video card though. Athalon 64 3500+, 1 GB RAM and a GeForce 7800 GT. My first three games were laggy. I haven't had one since.

I'm wondering how many times you were 'seen through walls' and how many times you died cause you just sucked. :-)

My main problem with TFC type games is that death is meaningless. In CS, when you get taken out, you are out for the rest of the round. It kind of forces you to play strategicaly instead of just spaming weapon shots and hitting space to do it again. You can spam your weapon shots and score some kills, but then you are sitting out for the duration. I'm more of a stalker than a spammer.

One of the things I hate most (second only to the rocket jump) is some moron(s) on my team that never participate in achieving the goal. They just rack up kills, which they do very well (in some cases). So, the series ends and our team lost, but those morons claim a personal victory because their kill ratio was so high. I hate that.

The endless weapon spam of TFC style games bores me too quickly. I like my consequences.

I disappeared from XvT cause I absolutely sucked at that game. Couldn't get the hang of it. You'd fly circles around me even when we were in the same ship. Flying co-op helped, cause at least it wasn't you owning me. But I still couldn't kill shit. Maybe the new joystick will help. But I dunno. I'd be willing to give it another try sometime.

But I really think we should try multiplaying SupCom a few times. At least give it a try.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Gordon and I multi all the time. Many of which you have in your library, but choose to play by yourself, FYI

I'm not up to date on your multiing schedule.

Also, I have a LOT of games in my library, it doesn't mean I enjoy playing them. One of the keys here is that we all have to enjoy it. I'm not going to multi something that I don't enjoy playing. I used to get my ass kicked in Total Annhiliation, but I still played it because it was fun.

Neverwinter Nights being one of them

I won't attempt multiing an RPG again. the last time we tried we played for hours and accomplished nothing outside of a team kill. Totally pointless.

Perhaps if you wanted to do co-op Dungeon Siege, Space Siege (coming soon), or Hellgate: London, I might attempt that type of RPG, but I can't do a slow paced one with a group unless I see proof that progress can be made.

I don't remember having that many people on the Battlefront server. Wasn't it all bots?

Battlefront...no (There's a reason it has 4 sequels). Star Wars: Battlefront...a lot of bots, but real peeps mixed in as well.

My main problem with TFC type games is that death is meaningless. In CS, when you get taken out, you are out for the rest of the round. It kind of forces you to play strategicaly instead of just spaming weapon shots and hitting space to do it again. You can spam your weapon shots and score some kills, but then you are sitting out for the duration. I'm more of a stalker than a spammer.

That's one of the things I liked as well. I like things to be more realistic in the games. No rocket jumping, no instant resurrections.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Geez. One chance and we are banned from multiplaying RPGs with you forever!?! I gave Gordon another chance, you might want to consider it too. He's matured alot.

What about SupCom? You left that out of your response.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I gave Gordon another chance, you might want to consider it too. He's matured alot.

Sometimes it surprises me how little people actually know him in spite of how well they think they do. Know. Him.

;-)

It's got to be the right RPG. I'm mostly through NWN and I doubt single player characters transfer over to multi. I'd prefer an action one or one that doesn't require a balancing act with items. That slows down a game, even more so if you're in a group.

As for Sup Com, even though I know I'll get my ass beat, I'd play. I don't think I'm the one you have to convince though.

Edited By Leisher on 1197397663
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I haven't played it THAT much. If you played the single player missions, I bet you've played more than me. However, all I've played are skirmishes, so I might have you there. But not by much.

Gordon probably won't play unless we promise to buy that gay Quake thing. Next he'll want us to play Duke Nuke'm 3D.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Oh, pick a date. Any date.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Cakedaddy wrote:Next he'll want us to play Duke Nuke'm 3D.
Well hell, if we're gonna go back that far, let's try Doom & Hexen whilst we're at it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I haven't played it THAT much. If you played the single player missions, I bet you've played more than me. However, all I've played are skirmishes, so I might have you there. But not by much.

Yeah, but I still suck at resource management.

Gordon probably won't play unless we promise to buy that gay Quake thing.

Hey I'm interested in ET:QW, but now I have to boycott it just on principal. I even have a $25 gift card for EBGames or Gamespot and nothing to spend it on.

Oh, pick a date. Any date.

Let me check my social calendar to see if I'm needed anywhere this weekend. I think I've got the weekend completely open.

Well hell, if we're gonna go back that far, let's try Doom & Hexen whilst we're at it.

Rise of the Triad!
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Then you'll lose. Fix that problem. Or, attack me early while I'm building my infrustructure and weak on defences.

That's where I'm at. Actually, if it was in the $20 range, I'd give it a try. But I don't want to spend $40+ on a game that ain't my thing.

Glad I'm so far down on the list.

Karateka