Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I got this recently instead of Team Fortress 2.

Earth Marines vs. Strogg in events that take place between Quakes 1 & 2.

It is a TF-style game, except with mission/goals thrown in to give it more than a "kill everything that moves" vibe. Stuff like "Deploy a radar," protect that vehicle, etc. Missions are vital to winning maps... it isn't just body count that determines the winning team.

Problem is.... the game seems too hectic to get stuff done. When I'm killed i usually never even see the guy who did it.... reminds me of Counterstrike in that respect. Hard to have total awareness of what is around me to stay alive when I have to hack an enemy turret by standing still facing it for 8 seconds at a time.

It is a multi player game but you can play AI until you get comfortable with it. The AI is painfully stupid when it comes to running missions, though.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

The game is much more coherent on an actual server with people.... the server I just played for a couple hours had people actually accomplishing missions and stuff.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Some servers with a heavy guild presence sort of suck... death comes swiftly and unexpectedly when groups of people on the other team are actually organized.

I'd push peeps here to get it so you can join my [TKV] guild but I've been down that road before, and it's lonely.

I'd also like to see the engineer class given more leeway as to where they can mount turrets. As it is, they can't put a turret in enemy territory,a nd your team can't claim the territory until enough people are in it, or a spawn point is captured, or something. An engineer plopping down a turret could go a long way toward halping that happen. At least they made the fiction fit the rules.... when an engineer places a turret, it gets airdropped in. I guess it makes sense that we would not send a cargo plane into unsecure territory.

But still.

It is Marines vs. Strogg, and some maps are offense and some defense for each team. There's a few maps I've played 20 times, and I've never seen the Marines beat the Strogg defense on those maps. There may be balancing issues.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Oh, I almost forgot!

I've seen in-game billboard advertising Intel processors. I don't know yet if stuff like that is dynamic and updatable.

It's not distracting. Maps are all on earth, and therefore it doesn't kill immersion to see billboards here and there. And they aren't there a lot.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

You pick the wrong games to try to rally a [TKV] clan. The last one was AvP2 which maybe 63 other people in the world played. Pick a popular game, and renting a server and having it be busy would be viable. You really should give CS another chance. Get use to it. Lots of people play it and having a clan would be alot easier. Or Call of Duty 2. That's another good/popular game.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Any given time there are at least 300 servers out there, no password, 10+ people on them. And jumpiong on a server is as easy as it was in TFC.... just filter the list how you like, and dbl-click.

So far I always have at least 50 servers running the options I want. Including Punkbusters.

And I dobn't really care about having a dedicated TKV team, I just throw that tag on my name to see if anyone recognizes it.

Edited By GORDON on 1195325886
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

So... how old does a kid need to be before you have time to play games again?
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote:So... how old does a kid need to be before you have time to play games again?
Mine has been sleeping 12 hours a night since he was 2 months old, so I usually have a couple hours after 9pm each evening for non-kid activities.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

The younger the better. All you need is a playpen to keep them from getting into stuff they shouldn't. Putting the playpen at the other end of the house helps too so you don't hear them when they need something. It just interupts your gaming.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Another plus about this game is that I can max the graphic settings with my low-midrange PC and still have perfect gameplay.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

GORDON wrote:
TheCatt wrote:So... how old does a kid need to be before you have time to play games again?
Mine has been sleeping 12 hours a night since he was 2 months old, so I usually have a couple hours after 9pm each evening for non-kid activities.
Oh, plus he routinely spends the night at MD's house on Saturdays, so as of 6pm we get more grown-up time. Sometimes we go out with other couples, sometimes we stay in and eat junk food, sometimes I just veg in front of the PC all night.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I've never seen a rocket-jump.

So far.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Word on the street is that peeps who have played this game AND Team Fortress 2 pretty much all say this game is better.

Still haven't seen a rocket jump.

I'm thinking of joing RDH clan. Those guys are hilarious on voice chat.

Edited By GORDON on 1197258823
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Word on the street is that peeps who have played this game AND Team Fortress 2 pretty much all say this game is better.

Wait a second. Are you telling me that peeps who actually play Quake Wars (all three of you) think it's a better game than Team Fortress 2, a game they're not playing? That sir, is a stunning revelation.

Next you'll probably tell me that people working on Hillary Clinton's campaign are going to vote for her too.

Well, just for the sake of argument, here are both games' ranking based on multiple media outlets:
Team Fortress 2
Quake Wars

The word I've heard is that both games are fun, but designed for different audiences.

Truth be told, while I'll get TF2 (as it's in the Orange Box), Quake Wars actually does look more appealing to me.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote:

Wait a second. Are you telling me that peeps who actually play Quake Wars (all three of you) think it's a better game than Team Fortress 2, a game they're not playing? That sir, is a stunning revelation.

Well, that's pretty much exactly what I didn't say.

My quote and your quote couldn't be much more opposite.

The word in the community is that TF2 will win by default since it is packaged with hugely popular HL2. But ET:QW is a better, deeper game. TF2 is just more of the same while ET:QW combines aspects of TF, Counterstrike, and mission based games.

Plus I'm getting really good at driving the big fucking tank. Aint no big fucking tank in TF2.

And at any given time I can see 50 servers with 24/24 people playing, and I only need one. Punkbuster is integrated, and voluntary. SO it's more than "3."

What am I even discussing this with you for... you haven't played a game multi since 2001. In what year did you get married, again?

Edited By GORDON on 1197294602
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

And we're OFF and running on an icy Monday morning....
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Well, that's pretty much exactly what I didn't say.

My quote and your quote couldn't be much more opposite.

Actually, you did indeed say that.

You said "Word on the street is that peeps who have played this game AND Team Fortress 2 pretty much all say this game is better."

Considering you don't own TF2, you didn't hear it from peeps playing that game. However, you do own and play Quake Wars.

Thus, the street you're traveling and hearing words on is a Quake Wars street.

Also, I showed you Quake Wars' average rating (84%) and Team Fortress 2's average rating (93%). Just those ratings alone would indicate that maybe Quake Wars isn't "a deeper, better game".

But, to be fair, I looked at the average user ratings too: Quake Wars - 7.8
Team Fortress 2 - 9.1

So I think maybe, just maybe, the word you're hearing isn't exactly "the word on the street".

But hey, I'm just having fun with you. I thought UO was vastly superior to EQ despite EQ being more popular and getting better ratings. Thus, I completely understand how WQ could be a "better, deeper game" yet get ranked lower across the board.

And at any given time I can see 50 servers with 24/24 people playing, and I only need one. Punkbuster is integrated, and voluntary. SO it's more than "3."

Ok, so there's 1200 people who own it, not 3. Actually, based on your "300 servers with 10+ people on them" comment from earlier that puts the number at say 4500 or so. I apologize to the sea of humanity that plays QW.

What am I even discussing this with you for... you haven't played a game multi since 2001. In what year did you get married, again?

Actually, I have...a lot. With you folks, there's been EVE, a little UO, Serious Sam, Star Wars Battlefront, Total Annhilation, Urban Dead, Aliens versus Predator, Star Wars Galaxies, etc.

Without you folks, there's been online poker and a lot of co-op in various X-Box 360 games. I've played all three Halos through to completion, but haven't played the solo game yet.

I've also played Battlefield with people on the PC, but I don't if anyone else here played...?

Don't be all pouty just because we're not multing on a regular basis right now. Find a game we can all get into and I'm there. As Cake has often bitched about, we need a game that we're all going to enjoy and play awhile. I don't want to spend $50 on a game I'd never buy otherwise only to have us play three times.

Firefly is going the MMO route...
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Typical ET:QW game:

I typically play a rocket soldier, for now. Like TF there are different classes, medic, engineer, soldier, sniper.

Game starts, we've picked teams.

Immediately I, as a soldier, have a mission: use heavy demolitions to take out a barricade so we can drive our mobile command vehicle through and make a forward operating base. I can choose to accomplish my mission, or trust someone else to do it and just shoot at bad guys.

During this time engineers are calling in for drops of anti-personnel and anti-vehicle turrets, the snipers/covert ops guys are calling in radar towers, and medics are getting assignments to heal/revive troops who are close and fallen.

So I go ahead and blow the obstacle, and then our MCV (mobile command vehicle) gets airlifted in. All this time we're fighting off the bad guys, who get their own missions like "Keep that guy from taking out the obstacle."

Assume we get the MCV in place, then phase 2 of the mission starts: HAck the Slipgate, which is a teleporter and will allow us ti take the fight to their home world. Of course, the Slipgate is near their spawn/base, so the game just got a whole lot harder. Covert ops guys have to get to the slipgate and "hack" it so we can use it... this means standing there unkilled with a "hacking tool" for 20 seconds. Not easy. Need lots of teamwork.

We get a new MCV and our mission is to drive through the gate to establish a base on the other side. The bad guys' mission is to stop us. Again, we can do the mission or just shoot bad guys. Whatever.

The bad guys are setting up massive defenses in front of the gate, and as I soldier I get assigned missions to take them out one at a time. Of course, the bad guys don't want me to, so it isn't as easy as I make it sound. At this point in this particular mission, this is usually a long fight. I've seen timers run out right at this point when the defense was just too strong. Not easy. Lots of teamwork.

We get through the gate, and the MCV has to be driven to another forward staging area. This is also rough, but now, since we're in their territory, they have aircraft bombing the shit out of us at the same time. As a rocket soldier I am helpful here... my missiles lock on. Hopefully the pilot isn't quick with the countermeasures.

Now we're in their world with a forward base, and the mission becomes... blow up some power generator, or something. This means fighting our way through one of their buildings that they are vigorously defending. Confined spaces and concentrated enemy, but at least they can't call in orbital air strikes on us or place an anti-good guy turret...

Anyway, as a soldier I have the demolitions, so if I can get in I plant the charge and stand there for 20 seconds to arm it. Then it has to be defended from getting disarmed for 40 seconds while the timer counts down.

If we blow the reactor within 20 minutes, we win. If we don't blow it within 20 minutes, we lose.

This game has very little to do with body counts. It is team and objective based, and peeps like me don't even need to be on voice to be a functional and useful member of a team objective.

Several types of vehicles from ATV's to Abrams tanks are usually available to us, and an alien equivalent on the other side.

Team fortress.

I've played a shitload of Team Fortress Classic, probably more than anyone else reading this. I KNOW that game. And I'm up to speed on the changes made to Team Fortress 2, even if I haven't played it. Major changes are small tweaks to engineer and medical classes. Upgraded visuals and art style. The game remains basically the same, and that's fine.

The game is capture that flag/hold territory/Kill the President.

+++++++++++++

Try and argue with me now, guy who has never played either, and doesn't really know anything about ET:QW except what I have told him and is really just arguing for the sake of arguing because you can't possibly have an informed opinion about this game. I don't care about the ratings numbers, in this case. It is chess vs. checkers, and nobody is going to claim checkers is a deeper game.

Edited By GORDON on 1197302747
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I haven't even touched on the things that can happen even when you are trying to accomplish a mission:

So there I'll be trying to be sneaky and plant a demo charge on their radar tower (and hoping they only deployed 1), when crap, the enemy captured a forward spawn point, and they are spawning right on top of me. SO now in order to accomplish my mission to blow up the radar, I also need to rally peeps to recapture that spawn point so I'm not getting bumrushed. And during this time there is a fucker sniping at me from a mile away. And another fucker calling in a laser strike from a ship in orbit on me. And an engineer who investigated who his turret's health is going down. And an enemy mech just walking around stomping people.

And yet missions get accomplished... or don't.

Depth.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Oh, and to address your increasingly flippant remarks about player base, I have the server list filtered by sub-75ms ping, PunkBuster-only, and Ranked servers-only. If I unfiltered, I'd see a lot more people online. If I moved to the west coast, I'd see different sub-75ms ping servers.

Edited By GORDON on 1197304119