The end of Lost

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Article.

3 more years with 16 episodes each.

We'll see if it lasts. The Shield was plotted out for only 5 seasons and FX talked the creator into doing 2 more.

Not sure about Heroes, but I think I've heard that they have a set ending too.

I like the concept of shows with a set start point and end point.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

You mean like Law and Order?
Vince

Post by Vince »

The thing I love about Law and Order was the fact they they fucking fired everyone that started getting too big for their britches, bitching about how they should get paid more. And the show goes on and on without them.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I hate Law and Order. I watched it back when Angie Harmon was on and quickly got sick of it being so preachy. It's the same story over and over. It certainly didn't need 84 spin offs either. I hate it even more now than it's in syndication on just about every channel.

ER is another show that's gone on way too long. I think I watched it for a couple of years about 37 years ago.

I know people love The Simpsons, but its own creators have mocked the fact that they done every story possible.

60 Minutes has gone on too long.

I'm sure we could continue on with this list. Shows, as much as we might love them, seem to leave a better memory if they bow out early. Remember how the X-Files dragged on and on? They should've stuck to a specific plan like Lost, told their story and gotten out.

As for firing people with big heads, there's something to how soap operas run too. With few exceptions, they seem to purge their cast every couple of years to make the show fresh.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I watched ER two seasons too long... when John Carter was the only remaining original main character.

Is it still on?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Vince

Post by Vince »

I watch Law and Order because it's the only place you can find Fred Dalton Thompson until he's President.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:Is it still on?
I believe it lives still.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I watched ER two seasons too long... when John Carter was the only remaining original main character.

Is it still on?

ER was good when Eric LaSalle, Noah Wyle, George Clooney, Anthony Edwards, and Julianne Margolis (sp? on all those) were the core of the show. The best episodes that I remember was the season finale and following season opener involving Carter getting stabbed. Who was the girl who was also stabbed and killed? I think she was partly famous? I remember the stabber was also mildly famous for a teen based sitcom or movie or something like that.

Beginning with Clooney's departure that show started to loose all its steam. I believe LaSalle was next followed by Margolis, and then Edwards. Wyle might still make appearances for all I know, but I'm sure he left the show as a regular.

And yes, it's amazingly still on Thursdays. I see promos for it during Earl, The Office, and Scrubs, but have yet to see a promo that even looks mildly interesting.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I knew Lindelof and Cuse had a meeting, specifically to request and end time for Lost. I think they wanted to end it sooner than later, and ABC wanted to run it indefinitely.

I didn't read the article you linked, but I know Lindelof would specifically name the X-Files as an example of a show that had a great concept, but that was dragged out to the point that it killed the show.

My guess is that Lindelof thought that one or two more seasons would be best, but ABC got him to stretch it out to three (with potential spin-off possibilities?)