Ladder 49

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I REALLY liked it. ALOT. Not much else to say about it. It was really really good. But, I have a thing for firemen, police and vetrans. A respect kind of thing, you sick-o. So, the movie may not mean as much to others. Watched a special feature bit on the DVD as well. It was really really good as well. The one quote that had the biggest impact on me was one of the wives saying "I never end a phone call without saying 'take care of yourself, and, I love you'". Fuck me. . . what a life. . .
69-1098720866

Post by 69-1098720866 »

I watched this one also on the plane. I really liked it, more than I thought I would. I like the whole loyalty thing that comes with the firemen thing. But it was sad and I almost cried...I don't think that's a spoiler or anything, I mean I'm a girl I could cry at anything. Anyways, I really liked it. I think both women and men would enjoy this movie.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Whenver someone says "it's important to make this movie" that's a spoiler.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

That the one with Travolta?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote:That the one with Travolta?
yop.
Paul

Post by Paul »

EKaye86 wrote:I like the whole loyalty thing that comes with the firemen thing.
Yeah. It's great because if you're a fireman you can count on your buddies to hold up an old, fat, drunk, one-legged man to sucker-punch.
69-1098720866

Post by 69-1098720866 »

I meant loyalty in the good way, not the cowardly, redneck, bad way. :p
unkbill

Post by unkbill »

I like firemen for the fact they do the job. But I only found it an O.K. movie. Won't be watching it again before I mail it back.
In marriage there is always one person right. And the other one is the husband.
Paul

Post by Paul »

We borroed the DVD from the in-laws quite awhile ago, and finally got around to watching it over the weekend.

It was pretty easy to figure out what'd happen at the end.

It was pretty easy to tell when something bad is going to happen.

At one point the character "Dead Meat" in Hotshots came to mind.

I won't be watching this film again. I didn't like it.

Edited By Paul on 1115042975
Paul

Post by Paul »

I got an email from my brother, who will be quitting the Los Angeles Fire Department. He hasn't seen Ladder 49, but I asked him what he did exactly, and he described the same jobs.

Evidently rookies *do* get the nozzle. I thought that was too cool of a job to give a n00b. But my brother explained that the chief's job is to sit behind the guy with the nozzle and direct him. That way he directs the weak-link-rookies.

The nozzle will often run in before the hoses are hooked up, so they want experienced people working the fire plugs to get the water flowing ASAP.
He also says that other stations will come in and try to take the nozzle, to get the glamour job of putting out the fire. He said there were "evil" tricks to prevent them from doing this. I'm hoping for more details.

My brother preferred the truck, which are the people who go on the roof to cut holes, who explore the buildings, and shut off the gas and electric. I don't know why they're called the truck. I asked him, and I hope he responds.

Oh yeah, my brother is leaving the LAFD to join the Los Angeles County FD. Evidently they have better pay and benefeits. He says he'll be able to retire a lot sooner with them. They're hiring him because of a test he took eight years ago.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Maybe I can use my SAT in my next job interview.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote:Maybe I can use my SAT in my next job interview.
It's all about the ASVAB.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."