Farcry and Doom 3 *with spoilers* - *spoilers*  Turned into a spoiler thread

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I only found one BFG in hell. I never even used it. In fact, I can only remember one point in the game where I used the BFG so far. (the hellnight intro)

I used the rockets because they were quick, did the job, and were obviously the way the designers wanted the job done as there is rocket ammo scattered around the guardian's crib.

It really doesn't matter though. Go nuts. Use everything you've got against him.

You're about 15 minutes behind me. I'll go back into no spoilers mode.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
71-1085092892

Post by 71-1085092892 »

Leisher wrote:You're about 15 minutes behind me. I'll go back into no spoilers mode.
It's all good. I managed to skim/not read the other stuff.
71-1085092892

Post by 71-1085092892 »

Oh, btw, that first level in hell with the shifting block walls... probably the coolest thing I've ever seen in a FPS.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Hell did have its moments, but it didn't blow me away.

I think the rooms I can identify with are much more frightening. Like bathrooms, kitchens, offices, medical rooms, etc.

And is it me, or were the hellknights not as awe inspiring as they could have been? They're not a very difficult enemy to fight. Sure they pack a punch, but they're too slow. Plus, they just look like Imps on steroids.

I still love the revenant. They walk around. No running, and they move well when fighting. They just look cool.

I think the enemy I most hate to face though is the living dead. They walk like bad asses and of course, pull that little trick of theirs. It was very smart on the designers' part to NOT intro them with a movie and instead let the player figure out what was going on.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I have beaten Doom 3.

Gordo, this is not a spoiler.

Near the end (you'll know), you're going to go down stairs. Always go to the left first. Eventually (at the bottom), you'll see a stone with the id logo on it. Go up and push it.

I believe that's the last Easter Egg in the game.

Cool ending, but not even close to being long enough, particularly when you consider the game is so long.

Now I'm waiting for the first mods.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Nope, I let him live. He gave me tons of weapons and ammo in return. I doubt he could do that while dead.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

In order to pass a little time (and get it out of the way before Half Life 2 is released), went and played a few more minutes...

I just got welcomed to the messhall.

Sarge doesn't really care about Mr. Soulcube, does he.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

You'd better hurry. HL2 hits stores on the 16th.

Sarge? You mean the guy barking orders at you? I don't remember if he told me to get the soulcube or not.

Either way, I'm not sure you wanted that question answered.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I assumed it was Sarge. Guy grafted onto the tank that shoots the BFG at you.

The Soulcube doesn't work on him.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

That's Sarge.

I don't remember having the Soulcube when I fought him.

I can't even remember how much game you have left after beating him.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

So what's the trick? I know pistol ammo will take out the BFG rounds. What else?
Troy

Post by Troy »

dont even worry too much about shooting the bfg rounds... the best thing to do is make it so your shooting enough rockets that the explosions actually causes his bfg to detonate almost as it leaves his launcher... definetly worked for me....
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The plasma gun and the mini-gun did the trick for me if I remember the battle correctly.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I got a little frustrated with Sarge, and put the game down in October... until last night. Last night it only took me about 2 tries to get Sarge... 1 soulcube, and then a full mag from the mini-gun. Dead Sarge.

And just now I finished the game... 5 soulcubes, and firing the bfg in between. Easier than finishing Doom 2.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Yeah, I thought the end guy was pretty easy as well.

At that point in the game, the imps weren't "pests" in that last level, but simply fodder for the soulcube.

Considering how slow the main guy is and how easy it was to dodge his attacks, it was an easy battle. I think I only needed two tries to beat him and the only reason the first one failed is because I accidentally slipped into the hole in the middle.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

With my machine, Doom3 looks twice as pretty as Farcry. I actually put Farcry aside until when I have a faster machine because I had to turn the graphics down so far to get good gameplay. And that sucks. But Doom3 on medium graphics still gives me the best looking game I ever played.
Time to bump this thread as I am deep into FarCry, having loaded it on my nice new fast PC.

I've destroyed the 3 towers, sunk the big boat, now I'm apparently looking to the dude's PDA. AM I ALMOST DONE, OR WHAT???
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Geez, I just reread this thread. Only the first post of two WASN'T about Doom 3.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I can't remember all of Farcry, but tell me what type of enemies you're fighting and where and it might ring a bell as to where you are.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Just started a new level. Took out a beastie or two, and now I'm fighting mercs who are pretty damned good at using cover. Apparently they are hunting the beasties with nerve gas, but I haven't seen that yet.

I just want to know how much I have to go.