Winter storm coming.

Comment threads from front page posts.
Paul

Post by Paul »

GORDON wrote:It's frikkin Hoth out there.

Good thing I got pics.
pxplzthx!
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

The Gordon Family Truckster surrounded to the hood by feral drifts.

Forced perspective makes the snowblower look bigger. The drift was actually a foot taller than the tallest point of the machine.

And this is like a 6 foot guy walking through the snow valley. Look out for Wampas, dood!
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

This kicks so much ass! After the first few months I was completely prepared for a shitty winter and while it wasn't the blizzard the weather men were suggesting it might be, it is good enough.

I do feel bad for those bastards that were going to pick something up for Valentines Day on the way home from work though.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I do feel bad for those bastards that were going to pick something up for Valentines Day on the way home from work though.

Fantastic observation. I'd wager there are a lot of fights today due to guys and girls being caught without a card and/or gift.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
unkbill

Post by unkbill »

Cakedaddy wrote:First off, they alway over predict. If you get even 6 inches, I'll give you a dollar. Plus, even if you get the full 14 inches, at least there's no danger of it destroying your house. You know, like a hurricane could.

Neat cheerleader.
Think ya owe Gordo a buck.
In marriage there is always one person right. And the other one is the husband.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Drifts don't count!! How much snow actually fell down there?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I actually have no clue. Lots of wind though, obviously.
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

What constitutes a blizzard to you? I keep hearing on the TV about the blizzard of 07. IMO if you can be out and driving your car around the next afternoon with no issues then it wasn't a blizzard.

Edited By WSGrundy on 1171502784
unkbill

Post by unkbill »

In our area it was 8.0 inches.
As for a blizzard. It is strong sustained winds with heavy snowfall. Not a time duration.
In marriage there is always one person right. And the other one is the husband.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I agree with grundy. If most people made it to work and you can be out in it with no issues by the afternoon, it wasn't a blizzard.

I'm surprised they weren't calling it "Death Storm '07". Why stop at "Blizzard"?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

One local news station was calling it the "Big Blast."

Sounded sort of sexual, to me.
Mommy Dearest

Post by Mommy Dearest »

It was a blizzard. The Burger King across from my office was closed. Of course I was at work ignoring the level 3 threat to arrest me if I was on the street.
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

Mommy Dearest wrote:It was a blizzard. The Burger King across from my office was closed. Of course I was at work ignoring the level 3 threat to arrest me if I was on the street.
I understand now that it was a blizzard I just don't think I agree with the requirements. Blizzard to me just seems more severe then what I saw. Technically if the conditions are right for just one second then a blizzard struck.

IMO a blizzard should be more on the hurricane end of things. If I want to go out and pick up a few things and someone tells me that there is going to be some heavy rain I will still go out if I want that stuff because the rain isn't going to stop me. If they tell me there is going to be a hurricane I am definitely not going outside unless it is to leave the area completely. I think a blizzard should be you are forced to stay home for a few days. I think we had a snow storm(thunder storm) instead of a blizzard(hurricane).

There are some areas with lots of farmer fields where snow drifts and such can build up and cause lots of problems and not having as many salt trucks and plows can be difficult. In my area if you were still stuck indoors the next afternoon then it wasn't because of the snow it was because you were a pussy.
Mommy Dearest

Post by Mommy Dearest »

Blizzards consist of sustained winds for over 3 hours. Not just seconds. Don't remember the amount that the winds have to stay at.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

A violent snowstorm with winds blowing at a minimum speed of 35 miles (56 kilometers) per hour and visibility of less than one-quarter mile (400 meters) for three hours.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

It could snow, with no wind for 5 days dumping six foot of snow, but not be a blizzard? But it can dump 1 inch per hour, for three hours, be really windy, and it's a blizzard? What's the definition of 'violent'? The snow puts a cap in your ass? Whips out a jammy and flat blasts you, while messing up it's $3500 linx coat?

That seems more like a southern definition of a blizzard. :-)

I don't think what we had the last two days should be put in the same class as what we had back in the '70's. I'm dissapointed that it is.
Vince

Post by Vince »

This was the global warming version of a blizzard.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Yeah, plus in the 70's we were experiencing global cooling, so it is two different extremes.

Category 1 hurricanes are lame, too, but still hurricanes.
Vince

Post by Vince »

But a global cooling cat one hurricane is a pussy hurricane.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren