Time for a change

Comment threads from front page posts.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

What was once a source of greatness has become a source of conflict and dispair.

Disparity or despair?
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Ack. Despair.

Well, both really if you compare the football program to the basketball program.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Like, it matters, we're a bit cursed.

It's ok, there is always Roy's boys.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Hey, Mack Brown took us to No 6 in the nation (No 5 before we lost to Florida State)
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

This made me laugh.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

The timing was too good to pass up.

Although, apparently it was just another rumor.

Marvin Demoff, Davis' agent, said Wednesday evening that nothing has been finalized. He said reports indicating that Davis has signed with North Carolina are inaccurate, and it will be next week before anything is "really going to happen."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I heard he's waiting to see what happens with Miami before he makes a decision on NC. Personally, I think Miami would be smart to avoid Butch Davis and sign the guy at Rutgers.

Miami doesn't need a return to the environment that Butch brings to the table. they're at a very, very low point right now and they need someone to come in and get the program some respect and credibility again.

North Carolina can afford the troubles Butch may bring due to their basketball program hogging the spotlight.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

If I were him, I think I'd want a break from my own past. Do something new. Although, turning around UNC would be a bigger challenge, and if he fails, it would likely be his last chance.

On the other hand, if UNC gives $2 mil guaranteed for 5 years... who'd need another chance?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

It's official.
Butch Davis, a 32-year coaching veteran, will be the next head football coach at the University of North Carolina, director of athletics Dick Baddour announced today.

The University and Davis reached an agreement in principle last week for Davis to become UNC's head coach. Contract details will be released when the University's board of trustees approves them at a later date.

Chancellor James Moeser and Baddour will introduce Davis as the head coach at a press conference on Monday, November 27.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Think he'll make a difference?

I think NC will get a few additional wins, maybe a huge upset or two, but I'm not sure Butch can run a clean program.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Butch ran a pretty clean program at Miami. You may be thinking of what happened pre-Butch in the 90's. Compared to FSU, they were saints. :) The late 90's Miami had their highest graduation rates, and lowest felony rates of recent memory. OK, I don't know about the felony rates, but he turned Miami's image around from their 80's/early-90's mess to a cleaner and much, much better program.

The ACC as a whole is at a crossroads in football. Wake, Maryland, and GT as the three best schools? Miami, VT, and FSU are all struggling this year, and the time is right for a strong coach to get in there before Miami and FSU recover, steal some Florida recruits, and bring some wins.

So, yes, I think he can make a big difference. Mack Brown showed what a good coach could do at UNC (11-1, No. 6 in the nation), before leaving for Texas. The money is there, there support is there, the recruiting possibilities are there. There's no reason we can't be a two-sport school.

Considering our record is 1-9 (and that one win against a 1AA school), there's nowhere to go, but up.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Keep in mind that the majority of my opinion comes from watching him every Sunday for the last few years. He wasn't exactly getting great press in this area.

I don't remember much about his Miami run except that he had success. I don't even remember which players were his players and which were Jimmy Johnson's players.

I, too, think NC can be a player and I'd honestly rather see them do well than FSU or Miami.

Hell, USC has good football and basketball programs, the Buckeyes are finally getting it done, why not NC?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Well, I've only really known him from the college days. I don't pay much attention to the AFC, much less Cleveland.

I think UNC wasn't ready to commit to football when Brown was here, but it's been 10 years, and with our basketball program fixed, people are anxious to see some football action too. Including me. I might even let go of my Redskins tickets and focus on UNC football. We've spent a lot of money upgrading the stadium from 40,000 to 60,000, so we could substantially increase revenue by filling those seats.