Leisher Plex
Site Admin

Post by Leisher Plex »

From here.

Edited By GORDON on 1128451941
Paul

Post by Paul »

I don't know what the fix is.

If you make it performance based, players will play for themselves rather than for the team. For example, it's near the end of regular season and player X's team has a guaranteed spot in the playoffs. Player X is a touchdown away from getting a $5 million bonus, so he's going to be a whining bitch if he doesn't get the ball often. Plus, when he does get the ball he's going to do everything in his power to score. If the situation requires that he run out of bounds so they can kick a field goal, he isn't going to do it. He needs his own stats to go up, not the teams.

Anybody who renegotiats mid-contract is also going to throw a temper tantrum if he feels he wasn't give the opportunity to make his salary bonuses. So instead of getting someone who cries about being stuck in a contract, you get someone who cries about not getting the ball every-other play so he can't get the upper-end payoffs of his performance based contract. So instead of hating the management, he'll hate the quarterback, coach, and management.
mbilderback

Post by mbilderback »

I was going to write a long post going into many different things, but in the end, I just had sports that pay millions to players. They should live a comfortable life entertaining folks but pay scales and profit margins have gotten out of hand.

F-in moviestars have gone the same way.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Get rid of contracts. We don't use them where I work.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Nothing will change until the fans stop paying the high ticket prices and giving the games such high weekend ratings. The money is in the sport. It might as well go to the players. Who else should get it? Owners? Managers? Charities?
mbilderback

Post by mbilderback »

Nothing will change until the fans stop paying the high ticket prices and giving the games such high weekend ratings. The money is in the sport. It might as well go to the players. Who else should get it? Owners? Managers? Charities?
What I'm saying is that there shouldn't be that kind of money in the sport. Lower ticket prices to $5-$10, mebbe $25 for a skybox. Or invest the money in the stadium so people might actually be comfortable...you know, nice reclining chairs with more room, that kind of thing.

I guess there are just too many sport-headed freaks out there spending WAAAAY too much money to watch a bunch of musclebound idiots beat each other senseless. (focusing on football :)
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

What I'm saying is that there shouldn't be that kind of money in the sport. Lower ticket prices to $5-$10, mebbe $25 for a skybox.
Artificial shortages! ;)
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
mbilderback

Post by mbilderback »

I know, I know, and I'm more of a lasez-faire (sp?) kinda guy when it comes to this stuff. I say to the sports teams, you made your beds, now go lie in it.

Luckily I just don't really care.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

But letting the businesses be means they have to be allowed to chrge $90 for the cheap seats.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

All I know is that tickets to my team (Redskins) lower-level are $75/pop for the cheapest. And that the waiting list for my team is prolly 20+ years. The prices don't seem to matter. I've been on that list for 5 years, lord knows if I'll ever make it to the top.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Sound like they're underpriced, then.
DoctorChaos

Post by DoctorChaos »

After the last baseball strike, I never again went to a major league baseball game. The only exception was when a supplier gave us box seats to an Indians game. I know I'm not the rule. Most folks can't go without their sports. I've resorted to minor league games and college football.
Wadda mean? Other people can read this?!
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Last professional sporting event I attended, I was part of the half time show.
mbilderback

Post by mbilderback »

They were having some sort of freak-show at half-time? Wow.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I will say that something... unusually large was involved.
DoctorChaos

Post by DoctorChaos »

Well we know what it wasn't :)
Wadda mean? Other people can read this?!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I will say that something... unusually large was involved.
Your metal tit ring?
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

The T.O.(who is a total fuck by the way) thing doesn't really bother me because the Eagles don't have to honor the contract either. If the Eagles had to pay him what was signed on the contract then I would say the T.O was in the wrong but if they don't have to honor it after a bad season by the player then I don't think Owens should have to honor it after a good season.

Didn't the Patriots cut Troy Brown after he played both offense and defense to help the team out? He didn't get more money for that and risked getting injured and not getting any more cash.