GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

From here.

Edited By GORDON on 1123691342
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Mommy Dearest

Post by Mommy Dearest »

Nobody in the army works alone except for Martin Sheen in Apocalypse Now.

And your Uncle Charles.

Keep in mind they are not trying to recruit you.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

She's right. You have too much experience to join the Army, even if you had liked the commercials.

I always hated the Marine commercials. The guy fighting a dragon, or climbing the rock, or playing on the huge chess board, etc. I have yet to see a Marine commercial that shows them doing anything real.

Still, for me, there were only two options. Join the Marines which I came thisclose to doing (this was right when Desert Shield started) or join the Air Force and have a career outside of the military, and get laid a lot, and drink a lot, and golf every weekend.

Now that'd be a good commercial.

Edited By Leisher on 1123695132
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

*GORDON has flashback from Panama invasion*

"...... no, no way,"
DoctorChaos

Post by DoctorChaos »

Still, for me, there were only two options. Join the Marines which I came thisclose to doing (this was right when Desert Shield started) or join the Air Force and have a career outside of the military, and get laid a lot, and drink a lot, and golf every weekend.
Ladies and Gentlemen, our nation's finest! :laugh:

My uncle was a reservist who's manuvers in Key West consisted of drinking Margaritas and jumping in the water.

Seriously, thanks for defending my freedom.
Wadda mean? Other people can read this?!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

What'd we always say about Reservists and Guard members Gordo? "Go guard my mall" or something like that?

Seriously though, everybody who joins gets my full respect because we all bust ass and put said ass on the line.

Still, we do like to party hard. Sometimes duty is light and we have time to golf, get drunk, and screw pilots' wives. Other times we're so busy that we don't sleep for days.

I wouldn't trade those 4 years in for anything.

It was fun, I was doing something good for me and my country, I got an education, made good friends, got paid, had no real expenses, and I'd argue I was more prepared for the real world than most 4 year college grads.

Edited By Leisher on 1123701522
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I was always proud of gaurding the malls. I always said "When you were all shipping out to Germany wondering if you should marry your girlfriends, I went home to mine." It was crazy how many 18 year old kids were asking other 18 year old kids if they should get married, or hope their girlfriends waited the two years for them to come back. As if any of them have any clue about anything like that. And also, when the shit really hit the fan. . . where do we find our proud 'mall guards'? Right there in the thick of things with the full timers, thank you very much.

And your last sentance sums up the military very well. You learn WAY more about life (and yourself for that matter) in the military than you EVER will in school. I was SOOO ready to be done at the end of my six years, but, I'm so glad I did it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

You learn WAY more about life (and yourself for that matter) in the military than you EVER will in school. I was SOOO ready to be done at the end of my six years, but, I'm so glad I did it.

I couldn't agree more.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

It was all the travel in the Marines that taught me that I was lucky to be born in America.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Jack Army agrees, and I got 135 hits from him that day.
DictionaryDave

Post by DictionaryDave »

I will say the "Army of one" campaign is pretty stupid. It doesn't make any sense considering that military ops require you to work as a team. Even funnier is from the day you enter basic they teach you to work as a team. I can see some new recruit showing up and hearing you will work together from the Drill Sergeant and thinking to himself "I thought I was an Army of one?"

Edited By DictionaryDave on 1124230722