From here.

Edited By GORDON on 1125511904
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Just think of the CHILDREN.
mbilderback

Post by mbilderback »

Typical red tape BS. My community tried to tell me I couldn't put an 8ft fence across the back of my property. See, they leveled my plot pretty well, and the one behind me was leveled, but there's like 4 feet of easement between our property lines. In that space, the land rises over 2-3 feet. I wanted an 8 foot fence to make up for the height difference, otherwise you could see the bottom of my bedroom window just standing and looking over a 6 foot fence. I'm 5'10" so that's a pretty short fence. I basically ignored the neighborhood 'tenants' and put up my 8 foot fence, slowly lowering it to a perfectly fine 6 foot for the sides and front. It looks good, works well, and to hell with what anyone says.

My neighbor did the same.

Also, they are trying to tell me that my fence can't go past the rear corner of the house. Well, my fence goes up far enough to cover my A/C unit, electrical box, and water input. I say fuck'em.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Be careful... in the news a couple months ago there was a story about a neighborhood assocition who auctioned off a woman's home... without informing her... when she didn't pay association dues totalling $1000. And apparently, it was legal.
mbilderback

Post by mbilderback »

No 'neighborhood association' per say, just some 'tenents' you're supposed to abide by. There's no real way to enforce them.
DoctorChaos

Post by DoctorChaos »

My parents were sued for replacing a fence that was falling apart. They lost and had to pay for the fence and damages.
Wadda mean? Other people can read this?!
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

That word is "tenet," not "tenent." Also, "per se," not "per say."

Edited By thibodeaux on 1123274005
Paul

Post by Paul »

I live outside of the city, and county rules are pretty leaniant.

I wanted to move the meter from my house to a new utility pole, so I needed a preliminary electrical inspection (not a final one). The government didn't require the inspection, but the power company did before they'd move the meter.

That is all.

I pretty much did what Gordon did, only it was two stories, with the exta bathroom on the upper story.

If I was building my own house, the county only requires a septic inspection. I hear that 15 years ago they didn't even require that, but someone used a 50 gallon drum as a septic tank and ruined it for everybody.

(Note: Professional builders have to get more things inspected.)

If I lived near people, I'd be more accepting of zoning ordinances, because some people are idiots and you don't want them to do something stupid.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

If I lived near people, I'd be more accepting of zoning ordinances, because some people are idiots and you don't want them to do something stupid.
While doing yardwork today I realized that the basic, primary purpose of government was to protect smart people from stupid people.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Some of what they do I can understand. Not only are they protecting the person adding on to the house, but consider that the city run fire department has to come out if your wiring is jacked up and catches the house on fire.

Also when you tap into the city's water line, you could potentially contaminating water of people "downstream" from you if things weren't kosher.

So some of it I understand, but I'd guess about 70-80% of it is just to justify full time positions at the city inspector's office.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren