Speaking of stupid politics

Comment threads from front page posts.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

From here.

Bush appoints Bolton

I'm not against Bolton as I feel we need someone tough in the UN, but I'm against Bush bypassing the senate.

The Republicans control the Senate and should have forced the Dems hand on this one.

(edit - moved thread to Feedback forum and added the main page link)

Edited By GORDON on 1124741010
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
mbilderback

Post by mbilderback »

Bush said that Bolton's nomination had been supported by a majority of the Senate but that "because of partisan delaying tactics by a handful of senators, John was unfairly denied the up-or-down vote that he deserves."

Bush had refused to give up on Bolton even though the Senate had voted twice to sustain a filibuster against his nominee.

Looks to me that the Prez did everything he could to allow the Senate to get over themselves long enough to just vote on it. I say, good on him.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Bush didn't invent it, and by the end of his term Clinton had more.

I was planning on posting about this after the movie contest ended tonight.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Vince

Post by Vince »

I laughed myself silly over this.

Yeah in a perfect world he wouldn't have done this, but in a perfect world the Democrats wouldn't have been dicks about allowing an up or down vote.

Especially considering that this was just a muscle flexing exercise for the Democrats after the agreement saying they wouldn't filabuster judicial nominations except under extreme circumstances. This was their way of saying "but we can still filabuster everyone else, and don't you forget it".
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I do find it hilarious that the Dems are saying this sort of thing is shady politics and shows the corruption of the administration.

I'm sure when Clinton was doing it they said, "he was doing the right thing and was forced into it by Republicans blocking his nominees' confirmations."
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

The ability to prevent an up or down vote exists for a reason. Endless debate used to exist for a reason. Absentee appointments exist for a reason.

It's just a game, and the rules change. But any rule that makes it HARDER for government to do anything gets my support. I say fire them all.
It's not me, it's someone else.