African debt relief.

Comment threads from front page posts.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

From here.

Boring post about how they need Cartman's Hippy Drill at Live 8.

Edited By GORDON on 1122659622
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I saw an article on Yahoo the other day which pointed out that African-Americans couldn't give a shit about Live 8.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
DoctorChaos

Post by DoctorChaos »

Debt-Relief. Is this the same administration that made it more difficult to declare bankruptcy?

So let me get this straight, if I'm a murdering, genocidal maniac stealing from some of the poorest people in the world, I can get relief from my debt. So if I work hard and run into a little finacial problem, say an extended stay in the hospital, I can't get any help?

And folks think I'm crazy!
Wadda mean? Other people can read this?!
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Debt-Relief. Is this the same administration that made it more difficult to declare bankruptcy?
It isn't harder to declare bankruptcy, it's harder for people with decent income to declare Chapter 7 bankruptcy. There's still Chapter 13.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Well, to be fair, it's not like they're getting extra platinums on their album sales..

Pink Floyd's "Echoes" album posted a staggering 1,343 percent increase in sales on Sunday compared with the same day a week ago.

He stressed that the increase for Pink Floyd and other acts appearing in Hyde Park was partly due to the low number of records sold on Sunday, June 26. Total sales of "Echoes" on Sunday, July 3, the day after Live 8, were approaching 1,000.

So it went from like ~75 to 1000.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Well, as long as we're raising awareness, I guess.

I heard that MTV put commercials in the middle of reunited Pink Floyds "Comfortably Numb."
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Eh, so what. I can hear "Comfortably Numb" on classic-rock radio every hour.
MommaBear

Post by MommaBear »

I haven't said anything in a while (been busy moving into new house) but I will on this one thing. Man it's like a constantly picked scab that never heals.

There is only so much that can be accomplished here.
Funds raised for this type of rallied global relief effort go to administrative costs and the rest gets squandered and hardly gets to where it needs to go. 20/20 did a piece awhile back on the Christian Children's fund or another org that has tried hard for over 40 years to feed, clothe, house, educate and properly medicate children in 3rd world countries. They (CCF) admitted that over 80% of ANY funds raised goes to administrative costs, thus leaving barely 20% for the relief effort. Now ... I absolutely feel that it's horrific and atrocious that young children are born, live and die under deplorable conditions, it breaks my heart, however, we (the USA) cannot seem to find a dignified way to feed, clothe, house, educate and immunize our OWN children from low-income families. Africa is to get the whole $28B? Wait ... and isn't that, like, half of Bill Gates' net worth? Damn. $28 Billion dollars doesn't seem like so much when you realize that one person could have anted it up.

The bottom line here is CHARITY BEGINS AT HOME!!

Edited By MommaBear on 1120588018
Vince

Post by Vince »

I agree that the Live 8 is stupid, most blacks in this country don't give a shit about their "mother land", etc, etc...

But man... I love it when liberals have to suck it up and praise Bush.

I forwarded a link of this story to the babysitter's liberal hippy mother.

I pointed out this quote
GELDOF America doesn't have a lack of empathy; they just don't know the issues as well. Actually, today I had to defend the Bush Administration in France again. They refuse to accept, because of their political ideology, that he has actually done more than any American President for Africa. But it's empirically so.

Since the babysitter's mom does research on poverty in 3rd world countries, I know this ate her lunch.

Sometimes life is good :)
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren