Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Comment threads from front page posts.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

From here.

Boring post about how people who have never been to Gitmo call it Torture Isle, and those who have been there realize how stupid those first people are.

Edited By GORDON on 1121991961
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

What mystifies me about all this is: where's the outcry over what goes on in ordinary old criminal prisons all over the country? You know, the ones where the inmates rape each other so frequently that it literally has become a joke.

If I were naive, I might conclude that partisan politics were the motivating factor here.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

to play DA:

Ass-raped felons are guilty of something, most Gitmo detainees have had no trial/etc.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Yeah, but they weren't picked up for jaywalking, either.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Ah, so it's OK to torture people if they're given a fair trial? Well, shit, in that case, Gitmo is worse than the Gulag: the Russians gave EVERYBODY a trial.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Ah, so it's OK to torture people if they're given a fair trial? Well, shit, in that case, Gitmo is worse than the Gulag: the Russians gave EVERYBODY a trial.
I said "guilt of something"
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Actually, you said that, and you said "most Gitmo detainees have had no trial/etc." These two statements were spliced together with a comma, presumably to highlight some sort of contrast. Besides, I'm sure the people in Camp X-Ray are guilty of something.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Actually, you said that, and you said "most Gitmo detainees have had no trial/etc." These two statements were spliced together with a comma, presumably to highlight some sort of contrast. Besides, I'm sure the people in Camp X-Ray are guilty of something.
Correct, inmates have been proven guilty through a trial, due process, etc. Gitmo peeps have not.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I thought there was some sort of military tibunal that was declaring them unlawful combatants, case by case. Witnesses and such.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I think the tribunal was set up to process them, but a)wasn't set up for a while and b) is hardly through processing them.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Correct, inmates have been proven guilty through a trial, due process, etc. Gitmo peeps have not.
Well, not all. There are those who are awaiting arraignment or trial, etc., who have not been convicted (or as you put it "proven guilty.")

So, again, I ask: is procedure the only thing that matters?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I think procedure is the difference. Those awaiting trial are still going to have one ("timely", at that)
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Ok, here's a hypothetical: suppose we were at war, and we captured some enemy combatants. Do they get a trial? Or what?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Uniformed enemy combatants?
Vince

Post by Vince »

I think the tribunal was set up to process them, but a)wasn't set up for a while and b) is hardly through processing them.
They are reviewed every year. Heard this morning that there are only ten (10) new prisoners In GITMO. What defines "new" I can not say. I also heard that there are approximately 400 prisoners there. Twelve of the ones that were processed and released have been either recaptured or encountered again as enemy combatants since their release, which tells me that the review process is erring on the side of innocence more that we're being led to believe from the detractors.

I'd be curious to see how many have been released total.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I also heard that there are approximately 400 prisoners there.
520ish. Here's one inspector's account of the recent inspection.

Have the moonbats started saying that the fascist guards just treated the innocent prisoners better in front of the inspectors? It's what I'd expect from them.
Sharky

Post by Sharky »

Those interrogation descriptions don't sound so innocent - I'll bet the Harry Potter chick ripped up the book in front of the detainee when she was done.

Probably flushed the pages with an accompanying cackle and twirl of the imaginary Snydley Whiplash mustache, too.
DoctorChaos

Post by DoctorChaos »

Those interrogation descriptions don't sound so innocent - I'll bet the Harry Potter chick ripped up the book in front of the detainee when she was done.

Probably flushed the pages with an accompanying cackle and twirl of the imaginary Snydley Whiplash mustache, too.

Damnit, now Children's Services is going to be knocking down my door for torturing my children. I read Harry Potter to them and I don't let them rip the pages. Oh the horror!
Wadda mean? Other people can read this?!