Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

From here.

A Leisher post.

Edited By GORDON on 1121894094
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Vince

Post by Vince »

Cell phone jammers. Yeah, this might be unpopular, but it's needed. If someone can’t be away from their cell phone or pager for 90 minutes then they shouldn’t be at the movies. Instead of people being trusted to turn their pagers/cell phones to silent mode, they can instead be advised to make sure callers will know they’re unavailable for the next 90 minutes. This warning can be stated at the doors to the building.

I can't go along with this one because too many people (especially those in the IT field) are on call 24/7.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I can't go along with this one because too many people (especially those in the IT field) are on call 24/7.

I'm one of those people and I'm all for it.

Think about it, if I can't go sit in a movie theater for 90 minutes, then my company is understaffed.

I mean, if I can't go see a film, then its impossible for me to ever leave town or have a drink or even sleep if I'm a heavy sleeper.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
DoctorChaos

Post by DoctorChaos »

I left a job just for that reason. I was on call 24/7/365. The only peace I had was when I left the country, because they would still call me on vacation. Some vacation. I have no problem being in a rotation. When you aren't in rotation you go to a movie.

But then I really don't have much interest in going to a theatre any more for the reasons previously mentioned.
Wadda mean? Other people can read this?!
Paul

Post by Paul »

Most of Leisher's suggestions involved things that the theatres alone have control over.

Opening week, 80% of the gross ticket sales goes to the people who made the movie. This decreases over time. 5-6 weeks later only 35% goes to the people who made the movie.

So when you pay $10 for a ticket opening night, the theatre gets $2. With that $2 they need to pay their staff, rent, utilities, promotional costs, etc.

Expensive snacks are a way for theatres to make a profit. It's a direct boost to their bottom line.
Trailers are another way to make money. Extra trailers are sent with movies, and theatres have the option to run them. They get a per-viewer fee for these trailers.

As far as sex in the theatres, they need to find a way to limit it to the penis in the popcorn bucket trick.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Why are we punishing everyone with cell phones, instead of the people that are abusing them? I don't get it. Should all cars be taken away because some people speed? Should no one be allowed to fly because some people carry bombs? Should all guns be taken away because some people shoot people with them? Why are people trying to punish those that follow the rules?
Vince

Post by Vince »

I'm one of those people and I'm all for it.

Think about it, if I can't go sit in a movie theater for 90 minutes, then my company is understaffed.

I mean, if I can't go see a film, then its impossible for me to ever leave town or have a drink or even sleep if I'm a heavy sleeper.
Then management can never go to the theater under your rules. And it does mean watching the alcohol intake.

You can leave town. When I went on vacation, I was "on vacation". When not, I was subject to call at any time. It wasn't often when I wasn't on the call rotation, but it happened.

How about not allowing phones that don't have a silent mode? If your phone rings, you can be ejected from the park.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The following is a rule I wanted to add, but Gordo didn't see it in time to add to my front page post:
Add #6: ENFORCE THE RULES. The theaters need to step up and start policing their theaters. Remove the unruly customers. Make people get off their phones. Stop people from making their own adult films. Tell parents to quiet their kids or leave. Trust me, those people will still come back, and as an added bonus, other people who want to enjoy the movie and not put up with all the other shit will be more likely to come back too.

Opening week, 80% of the gross ticket sales goes to the people who made the movie. This decreases over time. 5-6 weeks later only 35% goes to the people who made the movie.

More reason to increase the audience size later in a film's run.

It could also be argued that the theater owners need to demand more money up front to offset their costs in helping to increase audience sizes.

More people = more money for everyone.

Expensive snacks are a way for theatres to make a profit. It's a direct boost to their bottom line.

Yeah, but $20 for a hamburger? They'd sell more at $10.

Trailers are another way to make money. Extra trailers are sent with movies, and theatres have the option to run them. They get a per-viewer fee for these trailers.

I think everyone loves trailers. Its the commercials that are annoying.

Why are we punishing everyone with cell phones, instead of the people that are abusing them?

Its the easiest way at the moment. Keep in mind, that I don't want it to be that way either. I'm responsible enough to put my phone in silent mode. I wish there were someway to just force phones and pagers into silent mode or have them being monitored some other way that doesn't interupt the movie or allow morons to get on them and talk or text message each other.

Then management can never go to the theater under your rules.
\

Ok, this made me laugh. I'm not being mean, I just found that statement funny. As if management are the people who do the work. :)

How about not allowing phones that don't have a silent mode?

If they could enforce it, I'm all for it.

If your phone rings, you can be ejected from the park.

To me, this is really the issue with cell phones. If someone brings their phone in and it goes off, fine, maybe they forgot to put it into silent mode. However, if it goes off again or they start a conversation, then they should be removed from the theater with no refund.

If theaters enforced the rules, and made seeing a movie there more about the movie and less about the people in the theater, I think their audience sizes would increase.

People WANT to go to the movies. They're out of the house and doing something most people enjoy. Theaters have been taking advantage of that and not really caring about the experience. That's why people are less likely to go out to see a film.

Why go see a film when one could rent 20 films for the same price or buy up to 10 (depending on format, place of purchase, date of film, etc.)? Why go see a film when you can't pause it, watch it in your PJs, etc? Why put up with morons in the theater when you can stay home and not get bothered by anyone but telemarketers?

Its not just about the movie and theaters need to learn this or find themselves out of business.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”