Cause we're talkin' bout the road...

Comment threads from front page posts.
71-1085092892

Post by 71-1085092892 »

From here.

Ok, but wasn't the Yorktown sunk in the Pacific during WW2? I thought she got crippled at... Midway, I think... then the Navy boys reboarded and kept her afloat, but then she got torpedoed while being towed to Pearl. Am I thinking of another ship?

I suppose I could look it up, but I know y'all are bored. Project!

Edited By GORDON on 1088124270
unkbill

Post by unkbill »

Get that scanner fixed because actually my dad was a handsome fellow. My wife said if she had a choice and we were the same age she would pick grandpa. He was a colorful person. My American Legion sent him out with honor. There weren't that many vets walking the cemearys as at dads grave.
Old saying, If I turn out to be half the man my dad was I will be happy. But the way I look at it, it is a big mountain to climb.???
In marriage there is always one person right. And the other one is the husband.
unkbill

Post by unkbill »

Read as much as you can but I believe no.

http://cv10.com/history.htm
Paul

Post by Paul »

I'm crushing the fanboy!
I'm crushing the fanboy!
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

The Yorktown (CV-5) was indeed sunk at Midway in June of 1942. The one in Charleston is CV-10, and as Unk's link shows, it was going to be called something else, but they re-named it Yorktown in September of '42.

Something similar happened to me when we were in Corpus Christi, Texas. They have the Lexington. I thought, "Hey, cool! That's one of the ships Robert Heinlein served on." But no. He was on CV-2, which was sunk in the Coral Sea, and the one in Texas is CV-16.

BTW, Heinlein was invalided out of the Navy in the late '30s, so he wasn't on the ship when it sank.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

FYI, here's the Navy's summary page for the histories of the Carriers:
http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/ships/carriers/cv-list1.html
Paul

Post by Paul »

mbilderback

Post by mbilderback »

That's great! We should all have a photoshop day with Gordo on the speeder!
DictionaryDave

Post by DictionaryDave »

Gordo , Do you know the "rules" of the road?
71-1085092892

Post by 71-1085092892 »

Holy crap, those are awesome. :-)

I feel a front page post coming. Let's have a couple more good ones.
71-1085092892

Post by 71-1085092892 »

thibodeaux wrote:The Yorktown (CV-5) was indeed sunk at Midway in June of 1942. The one in Charleston is CV-10, and as Unk's link shows, it was going to be called something else, but they re-named it Yorktown in September of '42.
I had a feeling it might be something like that, but I just thought they waited a little while before giving another vessel the same name. Double dumbass on me...
unkbill

Post by unkbill »

GORDON wrote:
thibodeaux wrote:The Yorktown (CV-5) was indeed sunk at Midway in June of 1942. The one in Charleston is CV-10, and as Unk's link shows, it was going to be called something else, but they re-named it Yorktown in September of '42.

I had a feeling it might be something like that, but I just thought they waited a little while before giving another vessel the same name. Double dumbass on me...
Look how quick they got the crew back in a new Enterprise after she was destroyed. HEH.
Mommy Dearest

Post by Mommy Dearest »

That was nice
DictionaryDave

Post by DictionaryDave »

unkbill wrote:
GORDON wrote:

Look how quick they got the crew back in a new Enterprise after she was destroyed. HEH.
Funny