The College Thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
GORDON
Site Admin

Plan on sending your son to college?

Post by GORDON »

So, I have sent my son to college.

We had a 3 hour drive this morning, and we talked.

We talked about Imposter Syndrome, and he might get there and feel like he doesn't belong. I told him he does, and that place only exists for him, now, in this moment. He had the grades to get in. He is more than just a silly kid from a small town in Ohio.

I told him about my first ill attempt at college when I was 18. How I never had to try before, and how women seemed a lot more fun than going to class. I filled him with all my fears and anxieties. I told him that failing my initial run at college was the first time in my life I felt truly ashamed of myself, and I wouldn't wish that for him. I used myself as a warning.

I told him that the Pre Med program is not some big mystery, long journeys are made up of small steps, just like long ass hikes in the deserts or up mountains. He is taking the first steps. How professors will want him to succeed, if he gives half a shit about learning, and his brain is good enough to figure it all out if he even applies himself even half way.

And I told him my greatest joy would be if he decided to move back home with me, and we can continue to be the Steve and Will Show, forever. And I told him my greatest fear is that he comes home and stays with me, forever, without living his own life.

It's been a complicated day.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I also did this today, but slightly different. My speech was about her getting to do something most people wish they could do: "She won't go through life wondering 'What if?' about her dream."

Since she was scared about moving away, I also told her I'm an hour drive or a call/text away and that I could have federal agents in her dorm in 7 minutes (one of my BFs is an ATF agent right down the road and has assured me they could do this).

Going back Sunday for Parent's Day, but I already miss her more than I knew was possible.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Good luck, yall, and to your kids.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by GORDON »

My kid doesn't. And I have half apologized to him for raising him in such a manner that he absolutely will feel disconnected from his peers.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by TheCatt »

College hasn't gotten much more expensive, if you're not going to the top 100 schools.

Those numbers don't appear to be adjusted for inflation, meaning college is cheaper than it used to be, for most people.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by TheCatt »

https://abc11.com/stanley-zhong-google- ... e=facebook

Dude starts a company at 16, has 1590 SAT, and 4.42 GPA (weighted), gets rejected by 16/18 colleges.
He was denied by: MIT, Carnegie Mellon, Stanford, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, UCSB, UC Davis, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Cornell University, University of Illinois, University of Michigan, Georgia Tech, Caltech, University of Washington and University of Wisconsin.

His only acceptances: University of Texas and University of Maryland.
Maybe he presented as too one-dimensional, but still.
Leisher
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by Leisher »

You can't tell me that there isn't something nefarious going on with college admissions. This guy should have been accepted into any school he wanted to attend.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:56 am You can't tell me that there isn't something nefarious going on with college admissions. This guy should have been accepted into any school he wanted to attend.
There's a lot more to the person than what's listed above. Maybe he killed puppies? But it's worth a look.
GORDON
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by GORDON »

I'm guessing that even if it is no longer official policy to judge people based on skin color, it totally still happens unofficially, wink wink, nudge nudge. In this case all the racist stars aligned and it's obvious.
Leisher
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:24 pm I'm guessing that even if it is no longer official policy to judge people based on skin color, it totally still happens unofficially, wink wink, nudge nudge. In this case all the racist stars aligned and it's obvious.
I think you are right, and it's something I think can be easily tested, and will be... There's money in lawsuits.
Leisher
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by Leisher »

Harvard defends their students' right to support Hamas Palestine, but they'd better not protest woke ideology...
GORDON
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by GORDON »

There was a comedian who did a bit about how after one of his shows, a woman came up to him and chastised him for making fun of..... vegans, maybe? She said it was going to far. He said, "I told her lady, I just got done making jokes about the holocaust. Veganism is too far?"

I actually don't support doxxing the ignorant kids who don't know the nature of the people they're supporting. How about making them take a mandatory 1 credit hour class next semester about the awesome things extremist terrorists do, in color and 4k. They'll be exposed to new ideas and change their minds. But it sure would be nice if we could just adopt an "Absolute free speech" mindset instead of "Directly to jail for using the wrong pronouns" philosophy.
Leisher
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:29 pm I actually don't support doxxing the ignorant kids who don't know the nature of the people they're supporting. How about making them take a mandatory 1 credit hour class next semester about the awesome things extremist terrorists do, in color and 4k. They'll be exposed to new ideas and change their minds.
What are the odds that class teaches the truth? Look around the world right now. There's a whole lot of very vocal support for Palestine and blaming Israel for everything that has happened. All of that is coming from the people who run the schools.
GORDON
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by GORDON »

So how are our college kids doing?

I'm happy to say my kid doesn't seem homesick at all, and is getting all As and Bs in his pre med program. He's learned his roommate is a slob, and I'm glad that bugs him. I was never hard core on making my son do housework, and I'm glad that 1 - he appreciates having a clean home, now, and 2 - sometimes he will have to be the one to make it so.

On a side note all of his accident money has come in, and on top of scholarships he has plenty to get a master's degree with no debt. He is a money hoarder, doesn't want to spend anything, and is looking for investment plans.

So basically all the parenting, worrying, healing, caring for, and anxiety I've felt over the last 18 years seems to have paid off, and he's succeeding. It's a great feeling, gratifying as a parent.

And I hadn't processed ahead of time that the kid has no great desire to come home again, ever, and I'm an empty nester, more or less. Because he also has enough money to do abroad programs during winter and summer breaks, and is motivated to do them and graduate even faster. Sigh. That hurts a little.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Don't have one yet.
GORDON wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:23 pm On a side note all of his accident money has come in, and on top of scholarships he has plenty to get a master's degree with no debt. He is a money hoarder, doesn't want to spend anything, and is looking for investment plans.
Nice.

I provide a lot of investment advice on reddit's personal finance + financial independence forums if he ever wants to chat or needs advice.
GORDON wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:23 pm So basically all the parenting, worrying, healing, caring for, and anxiety I've felt over the last 18 years seems to have paid off, and he's succeeding. It's a great feeling, gratifying as a parent.
Congrats! Have a beer!
GORDON wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:23 pm And I hadn't processed ahead of time that the kid has no great desire to come home again, ever, and I'm an empty nester, more or less. Because he also has enough money to do abroad programs during winter and summer breaks, and is motivated to do them and graduate even faster. Sigh. That hurts a little.
But don't get depressed. You succeeded!
GORDON
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by GORDON »

It's weird. My GF has a daughter the same age, and she's off to Kent as a first year. In high school she was more social, better about studying, had a friend group and was often out of the house doing stuff.

My kid was the opposite, he only started going out the last few months of HS, and not that often. Part of that reason is he started kindergarten at 4.... so at 17, and a senior in HS, he was just starting to spread his wings at an age appropriate time, when his year-older-peers were doing it the year before.

But anyway, the point: GF's daughter isn't doing well adjusting. It's just unexpected, and the opposite of what I'd expected. I thought she'd do great and my son would struggle, but it's the opposite. Weird.

FotY.
Leisher
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by Leisher »

My daughter is thriving. As across the board and remains fully committed to getting the most out of college. She has quickly learned that her roommate, whom she loves, is not as dedicated as she is to the actual education part. She's actually prepping herself for that split after this year if necessary. No roles yet, which is standard for a freshman, and basically an unwritten policy. However, both her and her roommate got two callbacks to a play, which is a big deal. Obviously, neither got a role, but getting to two callbacks as freshmen sets a tone on the expectations on them.

I'm insanely proud of her, and get sad when I see how much she really doesn't need me anymore. Although, it also makes my heart swell 3 sizes when she tells me that random texts from dad help her immensely.

We raised good kids and have set the bar high for Catt. :D
GORDON
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by GORDON »

Respek knuckles.

GORDON
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by GORDON »

My kid found a local Indian restaurant where he likes to go and eat, and spend time there studying. He kept ordering dishes with the hottest spice level, and he was unimpressed. So one day he asked the employees what was up with that, and they admitted they were dialing down the spice for the white kid. He told them to stop it. They did. Now he gets the heat he wants, and the Indians are impressed.