The College Thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

Plan on sending your son to college?

Post by Leisher »

You can compare fruit.

Also, colleges are desperate for students. Admissions are falling, not climbing.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:22 pm Also, colleges are desperate for students. Admissions are falling, not climbing.
Not at the top 50 schools. They're super freaking competitive.

Now, with testing optional, the acceptance rates have gotten even more ridiculous, since applications are way up.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:32 pm Now, with testing optional, the acceptance rates have gotten even more ridiculous
I wonder what they base their criteria on at these schools if not testing?

Prove me wrong. Show me how the white guy, with all of his ridiculous qualifications wasn't good enough to get into a single ivy league school.

Better yet, let's take all of the applications to Harvard and remove address, race, age, sex, etc. and just let the qualifications speak for themselves and see how the racial makeup of the student body changes versus what they currently do.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:40 pm Prove me wrong. Show me how the white guy, with all of his ridiculous qualifications wasn't good enough to get into a single ivy league school.
I don't have access to all of their admissions submission do I? Maybe he writes shit essays? Maybe he went to a shit high school?

A 5.1 GPA is suspect. It implies 2.0 points for AP classes, so really, he could have had a 3.1 GPA (eek). But, maybe he took 5 AP classes + 3 normie classes so his max would have been 5.25? We don't know.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

SCOTUS took the case for a reason.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

College prof writes opinion piece about how college is really affordable, needed, and we should be doing more to help lower income people.

As someone who has a kid heading to college this fall and who is knee deep in scholarship apps, this article is complete horseshit. This is someone inside an industry, that is currently struggling because of their way overinflated costs, campaigning for more federal money so the gravy train doesn't end under his watch.

College is fucking stupid expensive. The education being provided isn't preparing most kids for anything in the real world. All it does is put most kids into crippling debt with very few job prospects.

The fact that a college degree equates to higher pay is disingenuous as well. To get a more accurate picture you would first need to exclude all jobs that actually NEED a college degree. So remove all the doctors, lawyers, engineers, and so on. Now do your pay comparison. And if you want to see how bullshit the article is just click the link he provided to prove his point here. Yep, it's an article that completely counters his opinion piece and has one graph image in it about differences in income. A real academic would have linked directly to the study itself, but not this Einstein.

You want to help kids and the country? End the "Everyone needs to go to college" lie. Talk about military service with respect again. 4 years of on the job training, learning how to give and take orders, learning to be responsible, learning to pay attention to details, AND all while earning money for college.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

A family whose income is $40,000 today pays an average net price of $5,000. That includes expected loans and student employment.
So $5,000 + loans? Or is $5,000 including the loans? Unclear.
A similar analysis for families with incomes of $75,000 and $125,000 also shows that they pay much less than the sticker price today: $17,200 and $32,600, respectively.
Its only 25% of your income, dummies.
Yet the price that lower-income students pay is still much too high at most institutions. A student whose family’s income is $40,000 is expected to pay a net price of around $14,000, on average, at public institutions. Along with a maximum federal student loan of $5,500 and a work-study job that adds $2,500 (a typical expectation), that still leaves a bill of $6,000 to be paid. Where is that money supposed to come from?
Again, the $14,000 is the only number that matters here. Loans still have to be paid eventually.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Also, did I miss him discussing what the costs he lists actually contain? Because one thing we've seen from a lot of schools is that their list costs don't actually cover everything, College is fucking expensive. Crazy expensive.

On a related note, do government loans, grants, scholarships demand a certain grade point average to continue payment? They should, but we all know what would happen. Schools would unofficially tell teachers to stop giving out bad grades.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

It irritates me a bit that the financial aid awards list all the grants, and scholarships. Then it lists the thousand of dollars of loans you qualify for, and takes that off the tuition balance. Then it says "your family contribution is only $X thousand dollars." Because they don't consider loans to be the family contribution.

It's not sketch, but it's a little cheesy.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The people who need real help for college tuition is the middle class.

The rich can afford it.
The poor get the most help.

Nobody gives a fuck about the middle class.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:55 am Then it lists the thousand of dollars of loans you qualify for, and takes that off the tuition balance. Then it says "your family contribution is only $X thousand dollars." Because they don't consider loans to be the family contribution.

It's not sketch, but it's a little cheesy.
It's super fucking sketch. I didn't get my car for free when I got a car loan.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I'm currently at a 2 day orientation program at Miami U.

FYI, these kids are actually serious about the pronouns -thing. Dozens of speakers, each and every one of them starts with pronouns. 96% of them are standard she/her, which makes you wonder why we can't just assume pronouns are standard unless a derivation is stated otherwise.

I was hoping they were kidding.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Also , the three nonstandards were she/they. How does that work?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:50 pm Also , the three nonstandards were she/they. How does that work?
I guess they accept both female + gender neutral pronouns?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:38 pm
GORDON wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:50 pm Also , the three nonstandards were she/they. How does that work?
I guess they accept both female + gender neutral pronouns?
Possible.

I would also say they're narcissistic assholes who had shitty childhoods where mom and dad weren't around enough. Thus, they're seeking attention this way to make themselves feel important and/or special.

But whatever, like all fads this one will die too.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Currently at Kent State doing the same thing with girlfriend's daughter.

Much more liberal school. They are much less conscientious about stating pronouns. They do, but not 100% coverage like at "conservative" Miami U.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

New college admissions lawsuit targets legacy students.

Legacy admissions are stupid. Your grandfather being smart doesn't mean you are smart.

However, if it's a private school that doesn't take any government money, they can do what they want.

But we all know most universities are taking as much from the government tit as they can.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:45 am Legacy admissions are stupid. Your grandfather being smart doesn't mean you are smart.
100% agree.
Leisher wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:45 am However, if it's a private school that doesn't take any government money, they can do what they want.

But we all know most universities are taking as much from the government tit as they can.
I was going to say, I don't think there's a private university around that isn't taking government money in some fashion.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:30 am I was going to say, I don't think there's a private university around that isn't taking government money in some fashion.
There might be a single female only school out West that doesn't take money. I remember back in the 80s or 90s some guy sued because he wanted to attend. The school claimed "women only", but he said they were publicly funded, and thus, couldn't discriminate. They might have truly gone completely private as a result. I hope I have all the details correct.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

It would be funny if next year's Freshman class at Harvard was 100% Asian.