The College Thread

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:08 am Is sanity actually having a slow comeback?
We can only hope.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by GORDON »

Their problem is that they didn't think they did anything wrong, because they were just talking about jews, not actual human beings. They have a lot of nuance in their actions.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by Leisher »

Harvard's board unanimously supports their president. This is despite everything Portnoy says below being 100% true.

Although, he did leave out that her "leadership" on this issue has cost the university millions and potentially hundreds of millions thanks to lawsuits, lost donors, etc.

Why would any Jewish person send their kid to Harvard or put another cent into that school? Hell, why would any woman attend that school when its president supports rape?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by TheCatt »

I walk through that campus every month when up at work office. Tempted to wear a yamulka or something. So far I haven't seen anything happening on my walks.
Leisher
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by Leisher »

The "top" colleges are a joke at this point. If I see a Harvard, Yale, Brown, Cornell, UPenn, etc. grad I will just assume they got in because of the color of their skin. Oh, and that they hate Jews.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by TheCatt »

1460 SAT is pretty sad for elite colleges. That's like solid public university stuff, though. 4.6 GPA? What is this? The losers league? Get that amateur shit out of here.

Seriously, his numbers are only slightly higher than what mine were... 30 YEARS ago. And I didn't even bother applying to Ivy Leagues. I was rejected from the 2nd round of Duke. I also had hundreds of hours of community service, lettered in 3 sports, was a member of several clubs, blah blah blah.
Leisher
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:52 pm I was rejected from the 2nd round of Duke.
I feel like you just showed me on the doll where Duke touched you. :D
TheCatt
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:56 pm
TheCatt wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:52 pm I was rejected from the 2nd round of Duke.
I feel like you just showed me on the doll where Duke touched you. :D
hah! Duke was my "stretch" college. I pretty much knew I wouldn't get in. And, I didn't want to go there either way. UNC was my front runner (despite being a Duke fan, not a UNC fan, at the time). I didn't know what I wanted to study, and I had a scholarship UNC that made UNC tuition free (but not books or room/board).
GORDON
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:52 pm 1460 SAT is pretty sad for elite colleges. That's like solid public university stuff, though. 4.6 GPA? What is this? The losers league? Get that amateur shit out of here.

Seriously, his numbers are only slightly higher than what mine were... 30 YEARS ago. And I didn't even bother applying to Ivy Leagues. I was rejected from the 2nd round of Duke. I also had hundreds of hours of community service, lettered in 3 sports, was a member of several clubs, blah blah blah.
Back then colleges weren't as accepting of blatant homosexuality.
Leisher
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:04 pm And, I didn't want to go there either way.
I could make a meme to have fun with that, but I won't. Tis the season and all. :D
GORDON wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:11 pm Back then colleges weren't as accepting of blatant homosexuality.
Zing!
TheCatt
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by TheCatt »

I looked it up. I had a 97th percentile SAT. That dude has a 96th percentile (his score higher, but scores have gone up in 30 years, after they re-balanced the scores).

I mean 96th percentile isn't awesome for like the top 1% colleges.
Leisher
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by Leisher »

Fair, but I'd like to see the qualifications of people who got in.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:47 pm Fair, but I'd like to see the qualifications of people who got in.
As of November 2023, Harvard's average SAT score is around 1520, out of a maximum of 1600. The 25th percentile for admitted students is about 1470, and the 75th percentile is about 1570.
One of the interesting things Harvard does (or did?) in admitting people was reserve about the bottom 25% (the happy quarter, as it was described) for people who do a lot of OTHER things. They found that normal educational students in the bottom quarter were just depressed to be in the bottom, despite having been so high-flying elsewhere. So it's mostly their athletic students, or people with other strong enough skills that they don't mind being lower ranked academically.

From when I was looking at college:
Overall, students in the Harvard class of 1995 averaged 1390 total on the test.
So I was above 50th percentile, and that dude was below 25th percentile. Again, marginal candidate.
Leisher
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by Leisher »

That's interesting, but still not the whole story. I think all college admissions should be completely transparent. That's you eliminate any favoritism, racism, legacy garbage, and so on.
Leisher
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by Leisher »

House now investigating Harvard pres for plagarism.

Listen, the woman has no business being the president of Harvard or really in any position of power, but is this your job? Eh, maybe it is since their board is doing nothing about it.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:00 pm House now investigating Harvard pres for plagarism.
Can the House just investigate anything? Like, can they dig into the Tupac murder?
Leisher
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:07 pm
Leisher wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:00 pm House now investigating Harvard pres for plagarism.
Can the House just investigate anything? Like, can they dig into the Tupac murder?
Honestly, great question.

Also, Tupac's murder was solved.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:19 pm Also, Tupac's murder was solved.
OR WAS IT?
Tupac murder suspect asks for release from jail to house arrest, claims past admissions of role in killing were 'entertainment'
Leisher
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by Leisher »

Let's just all agree P Diddy was the guy who gave the order and move on.
GORDON
Site Admin

The College Thread

Post by GORDON »

After action semester report:

He has something like a 3.2 GPA, for the semester, in the college of science. Which I guess is above average, there aren't many 4.0s with the harder curriculum. He has changed his major to "Economics and International Logistics," or some such thing, and apparently his advisor fist bumped him and said "Your plan to major in logistics, and minor in Chinese, is literally the exact advice I would have given if you want to make a shitload of money." Still in the college of science, I would have guessed it was in the business school.

He just got a strong A in his Chinese class. He's already able to write in those wingding characters and he's already gone beyond my ken. He was signed up for an abroad program in Shanghai this coming summer, but his college just cancelled all programs within China, and he's bummed.

But anyway, he's north of 3.0, so his scholarships are all intact. I'm going to be bummed in a few days at FASFA time, because now he has a shitload of assets, in that judgement money from the accident. I think he may lose Pell.

edit - This used to be the "planning on sending your son to college" thread? Doing a search and I was having a boggle.