Climate Change (fka man-made global warming)

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Oh snap.

I wonder if any of them accepted a new idea.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I get how this could be the case, but this reeks of "control" or "don't do it yourself, buy it from us!"

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:46 pm I get how this could be the case, but this reeks of "control" or "don't do it yourself, buy it from us!"
Sure, but also feels very "economies of scale." I'm not going to bother checking the math.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:48 pm
Leisher wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:46 pm I get how this could be the case, but this reeks of "control" or "don't do it yourself, buy it from us!"
Sure, but also feels very "economies of scale." I'm not going to bother checking the math.
Like I said, I get it, but this will be used as why personal farming gets outlawed.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Horseshit.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

In Europe, otherwise known as the blueprint for Ds, the governments are working hard to eliminate private farmers. (See what's going on in France and the Netherlands.)
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

What appears to be happening in France is that the farmers want: Government subsidies, a lack of competition, and free money. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68104202 At least, as I understand this article.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

There was a cold war Clancy book.... Red Storm Rising? A throwaway line about how citizens in the USSR were only allowed small, personal garden plots. Bigger ones and they would be suspected of selling to neighbors, and that's capitalism, and bad. Their labor belongs to the state.

Any connection at all to the idiotic point the "gardens are carbon heavy" idiot was making?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:57 am What appears to be happening in France is that the farmers want: Government subsidies, a lack of competition, and free money. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68104202 At least, as I understand this article.
That's one way of spinning it.
Among promises Gabriel Attal made on Friday were an end to rising fuel costs and the simplification of regulations.
It came hours after farmers took their protest about pay and low food prices to Paris - blocking major roads into and out of the capital.
To be fair, that article was rather devoid of real details, history, and a good breakdown of farming policies in France. I don't believe either of us are SMEs in that area, so I'm going to defer to "anything that is making farming more difficult or less profitable is stupid because we need food to live."

The Netherlands farmer protest is about the government trying to curb their emissions, and dramatically hurting their farms in the process. This amounted to ridiculous virtue signaling by the Netherland's government. It's the global equivalent of California banning plastic straws.
GORDON wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:11 am There was a cold war Clancy book.... Red Storm Rising? A throwaway line about how citizens in the USSR were only allowed small, personal garden plots. Bigger ones and they would be suspected of selling to neighbors, and that's capitalism, and bad. Their labor belongs to the state.
There have been real world "ban your garden" discussions, mostly in major cities, but I remember "the climate cost" being brought up in at least one. Maybe Chicago? I don't know.

I just know that in our corporate ruled world, eventually they will try to take every possible thing away from us. They want us to be 100% consumers relying completely on them for our existence. That is not just profit, but also total control.
GORDON wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:11 am Any connection at all to the idiotic point the "gardens are carbon heavy" idiot was making?
No idea. I only saw the screenshot. It was on X, but the person was, incidentally, left wing and their comment was sarcastic and something like, "Yeah, personal gardens are the problem..." That's the real issue. The MSM and governments keep pointing at us as the problem and solution instead of passing legislation against the actual problem: corporations.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

My shit is heavily carbon negative. I use and reuse so much damn stuff, and no one is wrapping it in plastic, burning a bunch of fossil fuels to produce and ship it, and building a big factory to process it.

Whoever is pushing this shit can go fuck themselves.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

My hippie left wing wife loves Swift, but concedes that her flying everywhere is problematic.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

People are figuring out that the vast majority of pollution is generated by corporations, and then the bit that's generated by individuals, the vast majority is from the super rich.

So asking regular.people to use reusable grocery bags and paper straws seems even more stupid and angry inducing.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Controversy over study claiming we've passed one threshold and are rocketing to another.

So these scientists studied sea sponges in one place and have made these bold claims. Other scientists, rightly, question their findings:
However, several climate scientists have questioned the study’s findings, especially using one type of sponge from one location in the Caribbean to represent global temperatures. Gavin Schmidt, a NASA climate scientist, said estimating global average temperature requires data from as many locations as possible, as climate varies across the planet.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Non-profit launches a satellite that detects methane on Earth.

This feels far, far more effective than paper straws...
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I have that Ball logo on lots of my canning jars. The hell.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

This is cool.

The latest idea for clean power is the drinking bird.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

As you know, I'm not a climate change denier, and in fact, I'm in favor of ending as much pollution as possible. I just don't think it's OUR, the citizens of the world, actions that are the issue so much as our governments and corporations. I also don't buy into the hyperbole behind warnings about what's coming, "Polar bears will be extinct in a decade" (they're thriving), "Bananas will be a thing of the past" (nope), "Maps will need to be remade as the shorelines will be completely rewritten due to rising oceans" (see the images below).

If Kevin Costner taught us anything, it's that the Earth will indeed be completely flooded. I just continue to refuse to believe Catt using a plastic straw is why that happens versus the thousands of metric tons of pollution individual companies pump out daily.

OH, and it's not just going to happen in a year. This shit takes time. Yes, we should be working to stop polluting now, but stop telling everyone the world is ending tomorrow. It actually turns people against you.

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I wonder if those people know that Plymouth Rock 1) has moved, and 2) has ocean tides? Like, seriously, I wonder.

OK, I guess add the tides part to all those pictures.

For the record, tides have gone up about 8 inches (aka "One Catt") over the past 140 years.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Tides where? Tides are different in different places.

Do you mean in places where the crust of the planet is still becoming decompressed and rising from the last ice age? It feels like context is important.