Doom 3 - The spoiler free review

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The scariest first person shooter of all time.

Most of you know what Doom is and Doom 3 is a retelling of the original Doom. However, this is not Doom. Doom 3 is more like System Shock 2 than Doom. This is not your father's Doom.

If you're looking for mindless waves of monsters ala Doom, then go buy Serious Sam 1 and 2. Those games look great and do waves of attacking monsters better than any game before or after them. If you're looking for a beautiful, moody shooter full of scares that takes patience as well as skill, this is your game.

The visuals are amazing. The only game around that rivals how good Doom 3 looks is Far Cry. Far Cry still has the edge in outdoor visuals, but Doom 3 takes the lead for its indoor visuals. The indoor environments seem so much more alive and detailed here than the indoor environments in Far Cry.

Be aware, to really make this game shine, you'll need a good PC and a good graphics card. It WILL run on less, but a lot of features will be turned off like shadows and bump mapping. This will affect your enjoyment of the game. I mean, c'mon, what's a horror game without shadows?

The sound is impressive as well. So much so that initially, it will be overwhelming and disorienting. Well, not when you start the game, but when the "event" occurs, you'll understand what I mean. I've been told that playing it with surround sound is even more incredible and immersive.

The gameplay is typical FPS fare and very well done.

The storyline is light years ahead of anything id has done before. It flows pretty well and only drags once in the game. The addition of PDAs to give codes for ammo lockers and to fill in more of the storyline is great. Also the TVs around the base that can be watched are a great touch.

The game does have its flaws.
-There is no "lean" feature. Many times I'd want to peek around a corner and couldn't.
-Too many scares come from walls that pop open. I understand the need to do this, but it really reminds you while you're playing that its a game.
-The flashlight can't be handled while a gun is in hand.

The flashlight and the "lean" were obvious design decisions to make the game scarier, and while it works, I'm pretty sure in 2330 or whenever this game occurs that humans will still be able to peek around corners and have guns with lights on them. There is a mod out there to "tape" your light to your gun.

I could go on and on, but why bother. The game is awesome and I'd recommend it for anyone who likes FPSs as it is the current king.

Developers take note, FPSs don't have to be mindless shooters.

9.5 out of 10.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Yes, use the duct tape patch (I didn't), and I'd like to see dark corners breifly illuminated by, say, a bolt from the plasma gun. Because they stay dark.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Zetleft

Post by Zetleft »

Don't agree, System Shock II was scarier imo. Doom3 just bored me to tears. Nice graphics sure, when you can see them at least. I liked how they did the outdoors environment... that part you walk through for about 15 seconds, they coulda used more of that. My short thoughts on a game that I admit I didn't spend much time with, if it didn't have the name Doom it would have been easily overlooked in the market.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Don't agree, System Shock II was scarier imo.

You are welcome to your opinion, and until Doom 3, I thought System Shock 2 was the scariest FPS ever. I would still HIGHLY recommend anyone who likes scary games and FPSs go pick up a copy and play it. Its still better than most FPS games made today.

I do however, have a big problem with your opinion here. Why?

My short thoughts on a game that I admit I didn't spend much time with

That's why. Maybe you could review House of Flying Daggers for me based on the trailer? :D

Seriously though, I LOVED SS2, but Doom 3 passes it by.

Nice graphics sure, when you can see them at least.

Buy a new PC? I got great performance with my PC and I had everything turned on. This game looked great as I stated in my review.

Doom 3 actually takes everything (almost) SS2 had going for it and improves it.

Zombies? Check. D3 has more varieties and they look awesome.

Background sounds? Check. The opening chaos is amazing, the guns sound right, the monsters arrive with a visual and audio "bang", the PDA audio logs, etc. The only thing missing here from SS2 is the constant sound of the ship's engines which is obvious since D3 is set on a Mars base and not a space ship.

An overwhelming feeling of being alone? Check. Doom 3 has that in spades and everytime you feel like you'll finally get some companionship...

Spooky visuals? Check. Here's where D3 shines. I'd stop throughout the game and admire the work the designers did. D3 is so much darker than SS2 and that adds to the mood.

SS2 definately had a better setting. Something about being on a ship drifting in space was very cool, but they get beat everywhere else. D3 has better monsters, particularly bosses, I remember at least one big time stinker in SS2.

This doesn't take SS2 down at all, its just that technology finally exists that has allowed a developer to put together a product that's scarier than it. The fact that its legacy lasted this long says something.

Anyway, back to the few seconds you played...

I liked how they did the outdoors environment... that part you walk through for about 15 seconds, they coulda used more of that.

Uhm, there was a lot more of that later in the game. In fact, one of the coolest monsters gets introduced to you outdoors.

if it didn't have the name Doom it would have been easily overlooked in the market.

That's crap, really.

Far Cry wasn't ignored and it was made by a Czech company whose only other game had been a piece of shit.

Personally, I was a bigger fan of Rise of the Triad and Duke Nukem than Doom. I thought Quake 1 and 3 were garbage. My anticipation sits at November 2nd for Half-Life 2. The Doom 3 name means shit to me. I'll bash your product if I like your company or not. I'll praise it if its "cool" to do so or not.

Doom 3 deserves to be bought by FPS and horror lovers. And you'd better love that engine, its been sold several times already for many more upcoming games.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Zetleft

Post by Zetleft »

Engines great and I can't wait for a great game to be made with it. If an fps can't grab me after over an hour of playtime into it then it just aint worth my time. I stated that my opinion was just that, an opinion that should be taken with a grain of salt, thats kinda why I mentioned my short time with it. Shooting things just wasn't fun here, hell I had a much better time as a space marine in avp then in this game, and that was largely in the dark too. I never read any hype on this game so I didn't go in with huge expectations either. Just hoped for something that would be superior to an fps horror game I played 4 (or so) years ago (it sure as hell better have better models the amount of time its been in development). It didn't deliver for me but if it did for you thats great, just wanted to offer another opinion.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

If it was just "shooting things," I wouldn't be shitting in my pants about 3 times an hour while playing it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

My point is that I played the game through and wrote a review covering all the aspects I could of the game. You came in after barely playing it and said, "it sucks".

I don't care if you thought it sucked or if you thought it was the second coming, but back your statement up. Its a review, its here for people to read. Let them understand why you didn't like it. I'm dead serious about that. I don't care that your opinion differs from mine, but give a reader something to work with.

Out of curiousity, what FPS games have kept your attention for more than an hour? Outside of SS2 and HL? What got your attention?

I never read any hype on this game so I didn't go in with huge expectations either.

Its Doom 3. You don't need to read anything to know it has hype. Senators who have never played or seen a video game know about Doom. I've never driven a Porsche, but I'm betting it would be sweet.

Edited By Leisher on 1096417607
Autumn

Post by Autumn »

Yeah, Doom 3 had to be one of creepiest first person shooters i've played, it made me jump a few times and actually messed with my mind... doesn't happen to much in this day and time with all the shit we see in movies, im generally not the type to be "scared" but this got me a few times.
Paul

Post by Paul »

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

They're so scared, they forgot how to speak english.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

There are some jump back moments, but those two are pussies.

I'd hate to see them playing the Ravenholme level of Half-Life 2.