Jak and Daxter - PS2

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Quick review for an old game.

I picked this one up because there's nothing else out there I want to play at the moment and my cousin lent it to me. Free is always a nice price.

About a day's playtime later and I've completed the game.

Its a well put together game that's geared more towards kids. That's kind of funny when you consider that the series takes aa very dark turn in the sequel in an attempt to gain an older crowd. An example is the fact that there are no guns in this game. The sequel has guns.

Anyway, you play as Jak, a normal guy that gets pulled into a fight against evil. Daxter is your dimwitted, comic relief, counterpart, that does basically nothing except take credit for your work.

The game in entertaining enough with levels lasting just long enough to almost bore you. Each level also contains various game play modes (racing, fighting, jumping, puzzles, etc.) to keep you interested.

Outside of the short length of the game there is really only one big problem: camera control. When creating a platformer with jumping puzzles, camera control should be priority #1b right behind character control at #1a. Its not a game ender, but you'll die at least a few times to it. Not a big concern because respawn points usually aren't very far from where you died.

Other than that, its a decent game. Good for the kid crowd, and a nice starting point for anyone wanting to play the darker and more critically acclaimed sequels (its a trilogy).

5.5 out of 10.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”