My New Game - Dawn of War

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Troy

Post by Troy »

Well I know I was getting all fanboish about the release of this game and it turned out it was for pretty good reason. The game is an incredibly intense, fast paced RTS with a completly different resource system then most other games in the genre.

Dawn of War is a great look into the gritty, gothic style of 40th century warfare. There are four different races to play, Orks, Eldar, Space Marines and Chaos. The Single Player is a pretty generic, if well scripted, campaign were you play as the Marines as they clear a planet of an Ork invasion and worse. THe Game incompasses all the stuff you would expect on the battlefield, Cover, Morale, Vehicles and Intense Firefights.

Resources and base building is done pretty uniquelly, The first resource is Requistion, which is gained from capturing points around the map, relics and Critical areas. Power is also a factor and if you plan on using vehicles in a match you should expect to build a few plasma generators to allow to build the units.

Since the resources situaton involves your units capturing points, conflict between two opponents starts from the very get-go. Your most important battles can be in the 3-5 minutes as you push on to strategic locations and relics.

Units are pretty varied, Eldar relying on Teleporation, grav vehicles and agile infantry, Orks relying on Waves of Da Boyz supported by Wartraks and artillery, Marines are the most verstiale and resilent, incased in power armor and supported by a plethora of vehicles and weapons, Chaos relies on contingents of Daemonic Possessed units, culitists, and Marines turned to the "Dark side"

Since i played the demo a few times i went right to multiplayer and started working my way up the 1v1 ladder I go by ^TAZ^ and usually found between 40-60.

1v1 battles are only half of online play, and bigger Free For ALL, 2v2s..5v5s.. really add some flavor and teamwork to games.

The only downside of this game i can think of is that you might need a pretty good computer to handle it at its greatest detail. I run a 3700+ 64 AMD with a Gig of Ram and a 9800 Pro at 1280X1072 with max detail without problems, but i know i am not the norm. The eye candy is head above any other RTS game on the market right now.

Oh yeah by the way... the same people who made Homeworld, Relic, are responsible for this gem.

I give it a 9.5/10 and my soul for the first semester

Other Reviews:
Gamespot 8.8
IGN 8.8

most reviewers cite lower scores because of a lack of a long single player campaign, so if you think you might get bored playing skirmishes(you would have to try hard) and never try other human's... get the Sims 2 or something
Troy

Post by Troy »

Demo and Intro Movie

If you wanna give either try all the major file sites have the demo and intro movie. IMPORTANT... EVEN IF YOU DONT WANT THE DEMO DOWNLOAD THE INTRO MOVIE FOR THE BEST CGI sequence seen yet in gaming :)