X-Box 2

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Article

$599???

Are they out of their fucking minds?

I don't care if its a "PC/X-box". What's the different between a PC and an X-Box? They both have processors, RAM, graphics cards, high speed internet access, and hard drives. Do they expect customers to pay $300 more for a keyboard?

I've heard they're still undecided on a name for the X-Box 2. If it comes out at that price, I'd suggest they name it "The Dodo".
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
mbilderback

Post by mbilderback »

Turbo Grafix 16 anyone?
Paul

Post by Paul »

Sounds better than other stuff I've read.

No backward compatability, no hard drive, no NVIDIA chipset... <sigh>
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

What is Microsoft doing? Does anyone there communicate?

From the article you posted -

First this:

According to a source close to the project, internal Microsoft figures suggest that only 10 per cent of PlayStation 2 purchasers were interested in the console's ability to play titles developed for the original PlayStation.

Although this still represents some seven million consumers on a global basis - which is around half of Microsoft's entire installed base for Xbox - the company apparently believes that allowing consumers to play existing Xbox titles on the next-generation hardware would not be a significant deciding factor for Xenon purchasers.

Then in the following paragraphs:

However, a report into the videogames industry published today by Wedbrush Morgan Securities senior vice president Michael Pachter disagrees with this conclusion - arguing that failing to provide backward compatibility could have the effect of alienating Microsoft's existing Xbox installed base.

"In the event that Xbox Next is not backward compatible, we think that the device will be very slow to grow its footprint," the report warns, while elsewhere it suggests that such a move could damage the company's long-term prospects for the console.

And from the article I linked:

The device would be backwards compatible with Xbox games as well as next generation games and PC games, come with Windows, a CD burner, DVD player, hard drive and built-in Xbox Live capability.

If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on Sony continuing to dominate.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”