Body Scanners

Stuff we should click on.  Be sure to state Not Work Safe, if applicable.  KTHX.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

It's too late and I'm too tired to look up the thread, but remember the body scanners and how we were assured they couldn't actually take pictures of someone naked?

Not only did they lie about that, but they're saving the images.

This will be interesting to watch if the lawsuit against them fails.

Will the airlines all fail as the public refuses to get naked to fly?

Will a woman sue her employer for sexual harassment simply for sending her on a business trip?

What happens when kids, 17 and under, tries to fly somewhere? Paging Chris Hansen...
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I assumed they were just digital images. What the fuck good would they be if you couldn't save them? Can you imagine the following taking place?

"We swear he had it under his jacket when he came in, right before we shot him up with five thousand rounds."
"Did you save the images?"
"... uh, we can't."
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Everyone assumed they were digital images and they were being saved. That's the basis of the lawsuit.

One big problem comes from the employees who have access to those images. In the original thread about this topic, there's an article about an Indian actor who went through one of these devices and had his body scan picture passed around the airport. He even saw one and signed it.

Beyond the ridiculous invasion of privacy, it's an illegal strip search.

When your average consumer finds out that they're going to be seen naked and that image will be saved, and easily "leaked" (and let's not pretend there aren't hackers out there salivating at breaking into that database) how many will still want to fly?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

The entire TSA needs to go, as far as I am concerned.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote:... how many will still want to fly?
Lots of folk, including myself, have grown to hate flying. Not for the flying itself, but the bullshit leading up to & following the flying. Good job legislating an otherwise viable industry out of existence, government.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I already grew to hate flying thanks to the TSA having full access to my luggage. It wouldn't have been horrible if it weren't for the rampant stealing that TSA agents were doing while the government looked on.

Now they want to steal from me and take naked pictures of me.

Go fuck yourself TSA.

And I agree with Malcolm, I think the airline industry is doomed if this shit goes through.

Just looking at it from the business world, the technology already exists to eliminate most business travel anyway. Why would companies send their employees to be strip searched at a high cost when they can meet with whomever from the safety of their desk for next to nothing (in the grand scheme of things)?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Every now & again, stupid/lazy companies feel the need to send someone to some far off premises incarnate. My current employer is a huge-ass, internationally known company with many, many millions of dollars in cashflow annually. They just piss away money on the most worthless things imaginable (people & equipment) without thinking twice. Why? Because they feel they have to.

Example :
They recently purchased a dozen or so flatscreen TVs & paid folk to bolt them to the walls around the office floor. They show six numbers, no really, that's it. Six fucking numbers, making up info about three call queues stretched out across what has to be $50K worth of TVs. Out of the 50 - 100 people in the vicinity, maybe twenty of them comprise what you'd consider our call staff. I have yet to see any of those number crawl above three calls in the queue & a five minute wait time.

EDIT : Woohoo. Looks like my airport doesn't have them yet. Got to fly out in a couple weeks. Soon as they make it mandatory to walk through one, that'll be the day I stop flying from there altogether.

Edited By Malcolm on 1281027602
DoctorChaos

Post by DoctorChaos »

Companies still send people on location for a feelgood factor. You gotta have face time. I can do all me work from home yet I'm on-site daily to make management feel good.
Wadda mean? Other people can read this?!