MCSE

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

So Microsoft renamed their certificates to some acronym MSCTP or something like that.

People bitched. As of 2013, they're going back to the old acronyms.

Anyway, I started classes again today to grab the new MCSE. Every week I get to work from home one day to attend 6 hours of class. (That's a week for a normal MCSE program.)

All the classes are online through KnowledgeNet.com, and so far I've been pretty impressed with how it works.

Everything is paid for by the company, and when I'm done, I get a raise.

I love my job.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I need a new job.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

How much was the course? Do you get the actual course materials, or something else? When are you going to share your password so we can all do it?

I used them to get my first Cisco certifications way back. They were about half the cost of attending the classroom version and it included the actual Cisco classroom books. Just wondering if it changed.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I guess it depends on whose service you use. This one is also about half the cost, and you get the books for free (but they're ebooks).

I'm going through knowledgenet.com.

You know what's really annoying about MCSE tests, and probably all tech tests? They aren't realistic.

Literally half of what is on the test I'll be taking soon is stuff you'll never do in real life, and if you do happen to do it, it's a rare occasion. Point being, you'll forget that stuff. And what happens when we don't remember something? Google and/or Microsoft Support (which is where they make money...).

I think that they try to make the test more difficult than it needs to be to give it some credibility. Meanwhile, they might be sending folks out into the world who learned more about rolling out Microsoft "X" instead of day to day operations.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

A+ is the same way. You have to know the history of the CPU all the way back to the Pentium. Scooty says "Who cares that the Pentium PRO had the extra coprocessor. You'll never see one in production now." That test is FULL of useless crap.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Cakedaddy wrote:A+ is the same way. You have to know the history of the CPU all the way back to the Pentium. Scooty says "Who cares that the Pentium PRO had the extra coprocessor. You'll never see one in production now." That test is FULL of useless crap.
I actually knew that about the Pentium Pro. I am old.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Cakedaddy wrote:A+ is the same way. You have to know the history of the CPU all the way back to the Pentium. Scooty says "Who cares that the Pentium PRO had the extra coprocessor. You'll never see one in production now." That test is FULL of useless crap.
Just the Pentium? Shit, what if you get thrown back in time and have to repair a 386?
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote:I need a new job.
I guess I got a new job, didn't I?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:You know what's really annoying about MCSE tests, and probably all tech tests? They aren't realistic.

Literally half of what is on the test I'll be taking soon is stuff you'll never do in real life, and if you do happen to do it, it's a rare occasion. Point being, you'll forget that stuff. And what happens when we don't remember something? Google and/or Microsoft Support (which is where they make money...).
True of every test ever. Oracle/development/etc exams are the same