Windows Server 2003 - 2008

Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Anyone familiar with them? What's the main differences that you've noticed or that matter? Which version do you use for your production environment?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

2008's wiki.

All of my servers run 2003. I haven't skipped 2008 on purpose, I just never had a need to upgrade to it.

According the to wiki, 2008 is the last MS Server OS that will be 32 bit. The same wiki also says that 2008 is essentially a server version of Vista. Not exactly a great selling point.

Still, I have never heard anything negative about it. Nothing overwhelmingly positive either.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I've generally found 2008 to be more stable, easier to configure, etc. The scheme for features and roles is a bit different, but once you get used to it, it seems much easier to work with as a whole. And having Hyper-V built-in is really nice fro dev/test environments. We still use several 2003 servers for production, but new servers are all 2008.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Which, in your experience, talking with other people, reading, etc, is more in use?

I'm going to be getting into Microsoft support and just curious which one I should learn first. I have a copy of 2003 Enterprise, which helps, but if everyone is using 2008, then should I skip 2003? Or are they similar enough that if I know 2003, I can support 2008.

Does anyone still use Netware?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I'd say 2003 is more in use, but that's largely a factor of "if it aint broke, don't fix it." There's not many compelling reasons to upgrade to 2008 from 2003. For a clean system, 2008 is a no-brainer over 2003 due to its performance and stability improvements. (And if you are doing virtualization on Windows, it's a pretty much a requirement. Virtual Server is a joke).

If you know 2003, you can support 2008.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I'm building a test server on an AMD X4 630 and a Gigabyte mother board (got both for $100 at Microcenter today). What's the minimum amount of RAM for a stable Server 2008 R2 build? MS says 512MB minimum. But what's the real minimum? Again, this is test only (downloaded eval copy from MS). So, not going to have heavy read/write for file sharing, etc. Will be loading eval stuff on it (Exchange, Directory services or whatever MS calls it, etc). Basicaly something to get me through the MCSE certs and stuff. Anyone know?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

2 is probably a true minimum. I would do 4 if you plan to run much else at the same time. I run 8 on my dev server at home, but I also run Oracle and SQL on it at the same time.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

That's the bad thing about the motherboard I've got. Only two RAM slots. Will make buying RAM expensive. I should have 2x1GB laying around though to hit that minimum. Thanks for the input.