Wireless - Printserver

Mommy Dearest

Post by Mommy Dearest »

DLink wireless Print Server. Anyone familiar? I think the problem may bet that i need a static IP adress but want a little more information\knowledge before I call tech support.

Thought this may go over better than calling You Know Who and asking for support over the phone. Know that he may already be a little stressed from his company. shrug.gif

Edited By Mommy Dearest on 1101310314
mbilderback

Post by mbilderback »

Definately want to set a static IP address, dlink should have some software to allow you to change the settings. Also, make sure it's not using the same signal ranges as phones and what not. Other problems common to all print servers tends to be the port settings they use, protocol setting, and ensure that you're setting it up as a local printer on all the machines connecting to it. Configure the port as a local IP port. This will make the static IP somewhat necessary as to avoid having to reset the ip address for your printer on every connecting pc every time the lease is up.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

What's the model number of the print server?
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Also, remember. For security, we told your wireless router to only accept connections from MAC addresses we told it about. That's so random peeps (I hate that word. But it's what all the kids are using today) couldn't hop on your Network and see/read your shared stuff and stuff. So, you'll have to add the print server's MAC address to the list of MAC addresses your wireless router accepts connections from.

The MAC address should be printed right on the print server device. As far as adding that MAC to your router.. . I don't remember that. :-) Post the model number and I'll pull up a manual for it.

Or just call me. I'm home all day today.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

never mind!!!
Mommy Dearest

Post by Mommy Dearest »

How does General CakeDaddy sound?

Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

That sounds pretty good. But can we fit the word "Supreme" in there somewhere? :D
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Musta fixed it?

I had nothing to add. Never messed with print servers, and I haven't seen MD's current network setup.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote:Musta fixed it?

I had nothing to add. Never messed with print servers, and I haven't seen MD's current network setup.
I think someone's flirting with your mom.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Like that's anything new.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."