Nightwish

Audio Tawk
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Perhaps the most symphonic metal I've ever heard. I caught them when they came into town a couple years ago. Best concert I've ever been to. & I think I got a standing offer on a three-way from a chick if I can ever convince their classically trained lead vocalist chick to participate.

Folks like G may want to check them out.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

You're so gay. (that's the lead singer)

Edited By TheCatt on 1160832449
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

It appears goddamned near every song on "Century Child" kicks everloving ass.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

On Malcolm's recommendation and my "borrowing" of one of his albums, I have legally purchased the Nightwish album Dark Passion Play.

Half way through it... so far, thumbs way up.

More metal w/a chick singing. I like that for some reason.

Edited By GORDON on 1197323656
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

"The Poet and the Pendulum" might be the best blend of symphony and metal I've ever heard.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

They did that live at the show. Or at least the abridged version. Both their concerts I been to were well worth the ~$20 I spent for the ticket.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

The song "Bye Bye Beautiful" on this album is the keyboardist's "fuck you" to the former chick vox they booted from the band.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Malcolm wrote:The song "Bye Bye Beautiful" on this album is the keyboardist's "fuck you" to the former chick vox they booted from the band.
They really put her shit out there on front street, don't they.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:
Malcolm wrote:The song "Bye Bye Beautiful" on this album is the keyboardist's "fuck you" to the former chick vox they booted from the band.
They really put her shit out there on front street, don't they.
The way they told her she was booted was handing her a letter after a show & then publishing said letter on their website. It explained why she was being booted. Either they're all emotionally volatile or some serious shit done went down.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Just merged 2 existing threads.

I bought their album Imaginaerum when it was released a year ago. I would have bought it anyway, but this single/video was released and I really loved it, so it became a MUST BUY IMMEDIATELY thing.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/5g8ykQLYnX0?hl=en_US& ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/5g8ykQLYnX0?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

In my opinion, it is a great album.

I always thought that video looked like it was filmed while they were making something else, then I learned it was true... they made a full length movie out of that album. From what I can tell... it is about an old man on his deathbed, and his memories are leaving him, and he is fighting it. I think whoever made it was trying to make Nightwish's The Wall. Very high production values, and worth taking the time to watch if you are a fan.

I couldn't find it anywhere for sale, so I had to acquire it. I think I read it screened at some film festival and had good reviews, but the blu ray is yet forthcoming.

Edited By GORDON on 1372729410
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

GORDON wrote:"The Poet and the Pendulum" might be the best blend of symphony and metal I've ever heard.
Here it is if you want to check it.

Stick with it it... it explodes at about 1:20.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/cx4a-FS_IJ0?version=3 ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/cx4a-FS_IJ0?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Sounds like Christmas music.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

yeah we used to sing it in church
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

The movie - I played it once while gaming, and I was getting a sense that maybe I need to pay attention to this one.

Watched it again.... holy shit. It's about death and regret and the sins of the father and fear and loss and anger and redemption.

Very worth watching. I recommend listening to the album a lot first so you can encounter the songs first. Or don't.... might be interesting to hear a perspective of not knowing the album first.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Here's a full concert of them from the same festival where I posted the Devin Townsend concert.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/SdrG0V6yKc4?hl=en_US& ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/SdrG0V6yKc4?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

So I just learned they replaced the singer they had when I discovered the band, the chick who sounds like she could sing for ABBA. She got pregnant and couldn't tour so they fired her. I am kinda bummed about that. This new chick singing doesn't really stand out as anything special, to me.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Really? They're on their third frontchick?

Nightwish frontchicks (to my knowledge):

1) Tarja Tuor...something Scandinavian (Tarja Turunen ... goddamn you for making me look that up). Classically trained, could be belting opera. Saw her once. Was overly wasted, even for me, even for my early 20s. I blame it on the barkeep working the show being my roommate and feeding me shot after shot of his liquor-crack at the time, Grand Marnier. The pre-concert drinking, free shots, additional concert drinking (top shelf long islands), and post-concert drinking (couple big-ass Jack Daniels cocktails at some shitty chain place plus at least a six pack, demolished my memory in such a way that I clearly remember two songs, and fucking one of those was from an opening band doing a Mozart aria of all fucking things. And the other fucking one was Nightwish covering "Symphony of Destruction." I don't know why those are the only two pieces I can recollect. I have 0% recall of "Dead to the World" from Century Child which features some virtuoso keyboard shit. The tiny, splintered, dessicated shards of grey matter that still echo electrical impulses that reverberate from that night give favourable reviews.

2) Anette Olzon. Saw her once. Different vibe than Tarja. Still quite good.

3) The new chick's name is Floor Jansen?

They've swapped bassists since last I saw, too. Dude was bad-ass, swilling Absolut on stage. They also split less than amicably with Anette. I know their kicked out Tarja with a poisoned, spiked boot. Metal = brutal.

Edited By Malcolm on 1409807679
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

2015 tour dates. I am going to try to catch the Toronto, Cleveland, or Chicago show.

Confirmed dates for the upcoming NIGHTWISH 2015 tour with Delain are:

04/09/15 Hammerstein Ballroom – New York, NY less than 20 VIP tickets remain for this show
04/10/15 Electric Factory – Philadelphia, PA
04/11/15 Palladium – Worcester, MA
04/13/15 Capitole Theatre – Quebec City, QC – CANADA less than 10 VIP tickets remain for this show
04/14/15 Phoenix Concert Theater – Toronto, ON – CANADA less than 20 VIP tickets remain for this show
04/16/15 Town Ballroom – Buffalo, NY
04/17/15 Agora Theatre – Cleveland, OH
04/18/15 Concorde Music Hall – Chicago, IL
04/19/15 7FLags Event Center – Clive, IA
04/21/15 Ogden Theatre – Denver, CO
04/22/15 In The Venue – Salt Lake City, UT
04/24/15 Knitting Factory – Spokane, WA
04/25/15 Orpheum Theatre – Vancouver, B.C. – CANADA less than 20 VIP tickets remain for this show
04/26/15 Crystal Ballroom – Portland, OR
04/28/15 Warfield Theatre – San Francisco, CA
04/30/15 House Of Blues – Las Vegas, NV
05/01/15 Greek Theatre – Los Angeles, CA VIP completely sold out , less than 15 GA pit tickets remain
05/02/15 Marquee Theatre – Phoenix, AZ
05/03/15 Tricky Falls – El Paso, TX
05/05/15 Bomb Factory – Dallas, TX
05/06/15 Warehouse Live – Houston, TX
05/08/15 House of Blues – Orlando, FL
05/09/15 Revolution – Fort Lauderdale, FL
05/11/15 Marathon Music Work – Nashville, TN
05/12/15 Expo Five – Louisville, KY
05/13/15 Filmore – Charlotte, NC
05/14/15 Filmore – Silver Springs, MD less than 20 VIP tickets remain for this show
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I will meet you at the Chicago one. If you're in and committed. Seriously.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Malcolm wrote:I will meet you at the Chicago one. If you're in and committed. Seriously.
Depends on what the wife wants to do. She tries to be cool but she kinda isn't, and the concert will be easier to talk her into if I can also sell a weekend in some city around it. Chicago or Toronto. We did Toronto about 6 years ago to see Blind Guardian.

Will let you know.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

K. Let me know. Chi-town's got cheap airfare from where i'm at, and i sort of know the berg now after enough trips.