Music Suggestions

Audio Tawk
69-1098720866

Post by 69-1098720866 »

I'm really bored and listening to music. I've decided I need some new material, something I haven't heard before. I'm taking a wild guess that you all don't listen to the same music as I do. You know, since I do live in Nebraska and according to Gordon we're 20 years behind everyone else. :Roll eyes:

But I want to try something new.

No one will read this till tomorrow, but I'm sure I'll still be bored then too.

So any good song suggestions are welcome, thanks.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Two words: Jethro Tull
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

That's not new.

I would recommend:
The Garden State Soundtrack

Um... what genres do you like?
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Hmmm... music for a Nebraskaite...

Something to do with cowshit and corn fields. Yeah... go with the Tull.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Paul

Post by Paul »

I think Nebraska is about 5 or 6 years behind. I'm in KY now, and I figure they're about that far behind here as well.

As for musical suggestions.
My favorite bands (in order) are probably:
Bad Religion
No Doubt
Pennywise
NOFX

I'm tempted to say "listen to their early stuff," but I think everyone is biased toward the stuff that they started listening to.
69-1098720866

Post by 69-1098720866 »

Ok, I downloaded only a couple Jethro Tull songs, but I don't think I really like him. But I'll dl a few more to give him a chance.

Really liking the songs from the Garden State soundtrack, thanks Catt.

I've started downloading some Bad Religion songs, the two I've heard so far, I surprisingly liked.

And I already have most of No Doubt's stuff. I'll try Pennywise and NOFX next.

Thank you to the guys who actually gave suggestions.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I detect a sleight.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Shinedown
Crossfade
Dead Can Dance
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

The Shins
Franz Ferdinand
Electric Six
Interpol
Paul

Post by Paul »

EKaye86 wrote: I've started downloading some Bad Religion songs, the two I've heard so far, I surprisingly liked.

And I already have most of No Doubt's stuff. I'll try Pennywise and NOFX next.

Bad Religion is smart punk. A lot of them have graduate degrees, and have taught college courses. The lead singer was doing something at Cornel University on the evolution of bone matter awhile back. I'm not sure what's going on now.
Favorire BR songs include: Infected, Atomic Garden, Struck A Nerve, I Want to Conquer The World, Drunk Sincerity.

NOFX has it's hits and misses. My favorite for awhile were the story songs, like Liza and Louise, Bob, She's Gone, The Happy Guy.
Political stuff like "Don't Call Me White" was fun as well.

No Use For A Name is another cool band. I was listening to their Leche Con Carne album a few days ago.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Milk with Meat?
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

EKaye86 wrote:Ok, I downloaded only a couple Jethro Tull songs, but I don't think I really like him. But I'll dl a few more to give him a chance.

And if you find anything by that Pink Floyd guy, give him a listen, too.

Uh, which songs?

Edited By thibodeaux on 1110491750
Paul

Post by Paul »

Back in college I was wearing a NOFX "White Trash, Two Heebs, and a Bean" t-shirt at a Del Taco. I was sort of hunched over in a booth, listening to my Walkman.

Then I noticed a skinhead approach me. He confronted me about my shirt.

Now, this was a little guy, 5 and some change tall, and I could tell he came over because his two skinhead friends had noticed me and he wanted to be the tough guy for them. Meanwhile, I'm 6'5"... and this little guy had no idea how big I was. He was probably a high school freshman. I had a young face, so he probably thought I was a peer.

So when he confronts me about not showing pride in my race because of the "White trash" bit, I step out of the booth and slowly (for effect) stand up.

I watch his eyes widen and I stretched taller and taller.
Then I said, "It's a joke."

He coughed up an "okay then" and turned around and went straight back to his friends.

I could see them asking what happened, and heard him say "it's a joke" as I walked past their booth on the way out. That's when they noticed how much bigger I was, and they sort of did a double take as well.

Stupid little shits. I hated skinheads. They were always the assholes at concerts. You could trust your life to just about anybody in a mohawk, but you had to watch your back around skins because they acted stupid, running around like damn gorillas in heat.

Oh yeah... my hair might've been purple at the time. I don't remember.
Paul

Post by Paul »

GORDON wrote:Milk with Meat?

Yeah. Not very kosher.
I'm not sure why they titled the album that. I don't remember any reference to milk or meat. "The Brews" (NOFX song) does contain a reference to milk with meat though.
69-1098720866

Post by 69-1098720866 »

thibodeaux wrote:
EKaye86 wrote:Ok, I downloaded only a couple Jethro Tull songs, but I don't think I really like him. But I'll dl a few more to give him a chance.

And if you find anything by that Pink Floyd guy, give him a listen, too.

Uh, which songs?

I'm sorry, I had never heard of Jethro Tull and had assumed it was a name of a guy. Wow, don't I feel like an idiot. I only listened to Aqualung, With you there to Help Me, and Bouree. If there's a song you want to recommend I'll look for it and see if I like it better.

So far I've liked what I've heard of Showdown. Do you recommend any songs?

The Shins were on the Garden State soundtrack and I'm downloading more of their stuff, I like it.

I wasn't really enjoying what I heard of NOFX, But I'll try finding the songs you recommended by Bad Religion. I really like Infected.
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

EKaye86 wrote:I'm sorry, I had never heard of Jethro Tull and had assumed it was a name of a guy. Wow, don't I feel like an idiot. I only listened to Aqualung, With you there to Help Me, and Bouree. If there's a song you want to recommend I'll look for it and see if I like it better.
I was just messin' with ya; don't take it hard.

Recommendations: well, I depends on what you like. First couple of albums are kind of bluesy. Next few are kind of strange; "concept album" type stuff. Songs From The Woods and Heavy Horses are more folksy. Early '80s stuff is heavy on the synths. Crest of a Knave won a grammy; sounds a lot like Dire Straits stuff. Early '90s stuff is more new-agey.

Tull has it all.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

The have a Heavy Metal album, obviously...
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote:The have a Heavy Metal album, obviously...
Worst Grammy evar.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Worst Grammy evar.

Agreed.

As for music recommendations, everyone's throwing out new stuff, so let me suggest you go back in the past for your new music fix.

Starting way back, find "Adiago" and give it a listen. I've found that's a really good introduction to the "finer arts". This isn't music for head bashing or dancing, but you'll find that it can elicit a more powerful emotional reaction than modern music.

Heading forward in time, check out the late 50s/60s era. Everyone knows the songs from this era used in commercials and movies, but you'll find that they aren't necessarily the best. If you like the voice more than the instruments in your music, this is definitely stuff you need to check out. I'd recommend The Skyliners, Lenny Welch's "Since I Fell For You", Sam Cooke, Little Anthony and the Imperials, Johnny Mathis, The Temptations, The Four Tops (particularly "Bernadette"), The Drifters, etc.

Want romantic music? Barry White's Greatest Hits.

Want Country? The only album I know is Kenny Roger's Greatest Hits. The only songs not on that album I know of are "Bluest Eyes in Texas" and "Don't take the Girl". I only know them due to a stint in New Mexico.

And hey, you're female, so check out 80s pop. That seems to be like crack for most women...and gay men.

There's also the 90s alternative era, which was good, but I'm sure you're familiar with all of that.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
69-1098720866

Post by 69-1098720866 »

Thanks Leisher, I couldn't find anything of Adiago, but I did like some of the other suggestions. Because of my parents I've heard a lot of 50/60's music and tend to like a lot of it. I had never heard "Since I Fell For You" really liked it.

Thanks again everyone, except Gordon. :;):