The car you drive

For stuff that is general.
GORDON
Site Admin

The car you drive

Post by GORDON »

The car your kid drives.

I was kind of sweating when the kid got a driver license, I've always heard horror stories about how to insurance shoots up 2-3 times when a 16yo male joins your policy.

There's a common thing about "you've gotta change car insurance companies all the time to keep the best rates.". Well, I guess a commercial for Progressive, incoming.

I've had a continuous policy with them for 20 years. Home and auto discount. Longevity discount. Good driver discount. Snapshot discount.

My policy was $90 for an EV and a truck, the day before he got a license. FULL coverage on each, even though the truck has been paid off for years. The day he got a license, it went up to $160 a month. That's a good jump, but my gf's went to 300 with her kid, and I've heard similar, from others. It even went down $6 per month with the policy renewal, even though he got in that no-fault accident last policy period

There's also a good student discount for him, so.

Anyway, I think there's more benefit if your company has longevity discounts, over policy hopping.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

The car you drive

Post by TheCatt »

Up to 160 is barely a jump. Ours went from like 150 to 500, or something.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

The car you drive

Post by GORDON »

I know, I was really surprised. I'd call them and ask if it was right, but it all appears correct in the online portal. Why draw their attention?

So yeah, longevity has good discounts, it would seem.

Plus the dash cam video of his accident prolly paid for the dash cam, since it shows it wasn't his fault.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The car you drive

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:09 am So yeah, longevity has good discounts, it would seem.
Well, we've been with USAA since... forever.
GORDON
Site Admin

The car you drive

Post by GORDON »

I checked them a few years ago, peeps kept saying best rates.

It wasn't even close to my low payment with progressive.
Leisher
Site Admin

The car you drive

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:21 am I checked them a few years ago, peeps kept saying best rates.

It wasn't even close to my low payment with progressive.
Ditto.

Plus, the whole Gronk thing was a major turn off. There's no famous veterans you can find to be your spokesman? You find that meathead instead?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The car you drive

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:06 pm Plus, the whole Gronk thing was a major turn off. There's no famous veterans you can find to be your spokesman? You find that meathead instead?
Srrsly.
GORDON
Site Admin

The car you drive

Post by GORDON »

Adam Driver like a MF.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The car you drive

Post by TheCatt »

We sold a car at CarMax today, my dad's old car since he can't drive any more.

Despite how little there is to do, from our perspective, it still took and hour and a half.

But, they offered more than the dealers, so here we are.
GORDON
Site Admin

The car you drive

Post by GORDON »

So since I discovered my beloved, paid-off truck was rusting away, I've been doing some research about this topic.

Looks like it's common knowledge with car people that you need to start a rust treatment when the car is 5-10 years old. If you start then you stay ahead of the rust, and it's no big deal. You can treat it yourself with an up-front cost of like $300, and then $50 per year to do refresher coats.

SInce I'm starting from a position of rust, I'll have to spend a day under the vehicle with a wire brush. But it doesn't need to be pristine.... a little rust is ok. You're just getting the big bits off.

But then, I spray everything underneath with "Wool Wax," using the air compressor I already have. Part of the up-front cost was a silvery gun to apply it with. It penetrates everything, never fully dries, stops all new rust, and doesn't let anything else penetrate. You refresh it every Fall, before another salty winter. Then your shit is supposed to last forever.

So I've paid the startup costs, and I'll be putting the truck up on ramps and probably be spending my Sunday under it.

I'll try to get pics.

I share this in case any of you plan on keeping cars long-term. I wish I had done this 5 years ago, before it was rusty and it would have been a simple thing to just spray the underside of the car once a year.

This is the woolwax bundle I got:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QVH3PT8

I also got a full-face respirator for this project, under a truck with flying rust and undercoat spray. Like $20.

This is the vid I'm using as a tutorial:
TheCatt
Site Admin

The car you drive

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:07 pm I share this in case any of you plan on keeping cars long-term. I wish I had done this 5 years ago, before it was rusty and it would have been a simple thing to just spray the underside of the car once a year.
this is just a northern thing right? Like my Camry was 18 when I got rid of it, no issues.
Leisher
Site Admin

The car you drive

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:35 pm
GORDON wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:07 pm I share this in case any of you plan on keeping cars long-term. I wish I had done this 5 years ago, before it was rusty and it would have been a simple thing to just spray the underside of the car once a year.
this is just a northern thing right? Like my Camry was 18 when I got rid of it, no issues.
I'm not familiar with the concept, but I'm also not a car person.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The car you drive

Post by TheCatt »

Check your seals, too.
GORDON
Site Admin

The car you drive

Post by GORDON »

I watched my neighbor return his boat/trailer in from Lake Erie one day, and as soon as he had it parked a mama and two baby racoons crawled out from somewhere under the trailer.
GORDON
Site Admin

The car you drive

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:35 pm
Probably. Road salt rust is a cliche up here, it was just never in my consciousness before.