"...and remember next Friday is... - Hawaiian shirt day..."

For stuff that is general.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I've got a hundred business ideas, just no one will give business loans to you unless you're a woman or a minority. Preferably both.
My wife is both of those.
Outstanding. We've found our silent partner.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
mbilderback

Post by mbilderback »

Super, now, what area of expertise do you have?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I've got a hundred business ideas, just no one will give business loans to you unless you're a woman or a minority. Preferably both.
Silent? I assumed his wife was a woman...
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Silent? I assumed his wife was a woman...
I've got a Vicodin connection. We'll keep her doped up real good.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Computational complexity & algorithmic optimization, back-end web/app programming.

Edited By Malcolm on 1126637080
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Computational complexity & algorithmic optimization, back-end web/app programming.
And anal.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

And anal.
Hey, we've told you & V time & time again not to drag your perverted sexual exploits onto the forum.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

And anal.
He did say back-end.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Interesting. Apparently our last major app release was outsourced to Russians. & now we've hired a dude to cut-&-paste their code for further improvement we wish to make.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

& the newest website developed by Israelis.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

so what exactly do you do?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

so what exactly do you do?
Apparently work that Israelis & Russians won't touch.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

How does that make you feel?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Pretty damned good considering I make a shitload more than your average Russian/Israeli code monkey.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Pretty damned good considering I make a shitload more than your average Russian/Israeli code monkey.
Point.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Another gem yesterday. Keep in mind I live in Minneapolis & we've gotten snow this past week along w\ ass-rapingly cold temperatures/

Salesman : "Hey, uh, do you put antifreeze in your car?"
Me : "Yeah."
S : "Really, what year is it?"
Me : "I think it's a '99."
S : "And you've got to put antifreeze in it?"
Me : "Yeah."
S : "Whoa. I thought you didn't have to put antifreeze in the later model cars."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Ah, more fun at the job.

1) On Friday, the head techie (& only dude who knows how the network's wired) leaves about 3pm. Ten minutes after he leaves, net connections are dead on the basement floor. The only people who've got a snowball's chance in hell at fixing this are myself & the other techie. So, who decides to takes charge & have the head techie try to walk him thru getting the connections back? That's right, the CUSTOMER SERVICE REP. He's damn near clueless to begin w\, but he almost flipped the circuit breaker instead of unplugging the switch. Needless to say, he didn't succeed & myself & the other techie know enough to know that it could be zillions of problems & we don't've the tools, time, familiarity, or access to fix most of them. This doesn't prevent the customer service rep from keeping us till 5pm or so.

2) Today, after dealing w\ spending over a grand to fix my car & dealing w\ an asshole professor/TA combo this weekend, the CEO walks into my office & says, "So, what're you working on?" I'm supposed to be working on project A. However, I can't proceed further till the CTO sets up some databases. My fellow techie on the other hand, has been working on project X, which is a huge fuckin' deal, apparently. It's also about a month behind schedule (***)& involves Russian source code & ugly Windows system programming as well as a mix of C++, php, xml, & a few other things. I work on a Mac. There is no PC I could use unless they feel like ordering a new one. Even then, it'd've to be updated with the proper software, integrated into the network, & I'd've to be brought up to speed on what the fuck the Russian source code does & what the fuck improvement we've made, what features we want, & what coding schemes are being used, etc. (***).

Note that I don't think the CEO quite grasps the large technical issues between the (***) marks. What's more is that the CEO will probably bitch to my boss about why I'm not working on project X. At which point my boss could do any number of things depending upon the type of day he's'd.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Yet MORE fun at the job.

The preface & disclaimer :

Supposedly, I got hired over two or three other people for my position. Maybe they were mongoloids or something. Anyhow, I've got a fairly laidback job. I figure out the proper SQL query, use Java to prepare/parse it, & use HTML/JSP to display it & get input from a user. I don't've things like deadlines or crucial projects or even mildly demanding work. One day, the boss says to me, "We're thinking of building our own browser toolbar. How's your Windows programming?" My response was, "Uh, you'll want to get someone else to do that." A month or two later, he hires another techie who's first project is to build this toolbar.

The present :

This toolbar is a month or more behind the scheduled release date. The CEO is becoming overbearing to the point of annoying my boss, who in turn takes his frustrations out on the techie who's in charge of making the toolbar. Said techie today has talked about quitting the job cos of overmanagement & my boss changing his code w\o telling him or documenting it.

In the meantime, I was supposed to be working on localization issues, but the proper crap I need to continue hasn't been implemented by my boss yet, which means I spend the day searching for the best Flash games the Mac can run.

The question :

Does not feeling one iota guilty about this make me more of a bastard than I already am?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

No. Welcome to the real world.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

What he said.