P90X

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

About two years ago I did the Wii Fit for about 30 days and lost approx 20 pounds. I've since stopped working out (kids ruin everything), and put that weight back on. I'm not fat, but I'm not thrilled with the shape I'm in either.

A friend at work offered me a copy of P90X, so I took it and started the program this morning.

I'm only sticking to the exercise routines and my own diet plan. I have no desire to look like Arnold, so I have no need of a 3500+ daily calorie intake nor do I need their overpriced supplements, power bars, etc.

Thus far, the only things you seem to "need" are a mat, a pull up bar, and dumb bells (or resistance bands).

The Ab Ripper X routine I did this morning was brutal. Doing Chest & Back tonight.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

One of my friends at work did it.

He lost a lot of weight, seemed to work well for him. Sounds like it is mostly eating right, and then high powered stuff, like interval training?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

A friend at my work is doing it too, and loves it, he's done about 2 months, I think.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The training is nuts. My brother-in-law knows a professional boxer who thinks P90X is the hardest workout he's ever done.

I did the first day yesterday and I am sore. Woke up in the morning to 17 minutes of ab workouts. 11 exercises of 25 reps each.

Got home from work last night and did an hour of chest and back. Standard, military, wide, diamond, decline, and dive bomber push ups. Also, fly backs, lawnmowers, chin ups, reverse hand chin ups, close hand chin ups, and...I'm forgetting an exercise.

The worst part was going through all those exercises, and then the guy on the DVD saying, "Ok round two, we're going to do all those exercises again."

Ab Ripper X and Chest & Back were day 1. Today is Plyometrics (jump training). Tomorrow is Ab Ripper X and Shoulders & Arms. Thursday is Yoga. Friday is Ab Ripper X and Legs & Back. Saturday is Kenpo X. Sunday is a day of rest or Stretch X.

You train like that for three weeks, and then the 4th week is far less intense to help your body keep up.

Then you go into month two and start all over again.

The best part of the Chest & Back DVD last night was that at least two of the people working out on the DVD are recent P90X graduates. They aren't professional models or anything, and you can tell by their demeanor. they represent the goal you want to achieve.

In contrast, the folks on the Ab Ripper X DVD are pros and the host plainly points that out. Not sure why they went a different way there, but whatever.

"Follow your dreams. You too can achieve them. Beefcake!"
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Week 1 is in the books.

Monday - Ab Ripper X / Chest & Back
Tuesday - Plyometrics
Wednesday - Ab Ripper X / Arms & Shoulders
Thursday - Yoga
Friday - Ab Ripper X / Legs & Back
Saturday - Kenpo
Sunday - Rest or Stretch

The whole week I was a mass of soreness, but I pushed through as best I could. I cheated a bit Wednesday when I missed the Arms & Shoulders due to golf (and drinking). I did them Thursday and skipped Yoga. I may make that a habit as I'm not sure how I'd fit that long work into my golf nights. We'll see.

Week 2 started yesterday and I immediately noticed an improvement in strength while doing Chest & Back. Gains in the Ab Ripper workout have been obvious since the second run through.

I'm noticed nothing in terms of body change after a week, but other people have said they are already seeing signs of weight loss in my face. I do notice that I have a lot more energy.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Half way through week 3.

It sucks to wake up 30 minutes early three days a week to do a ridiculous ab workout.

Also, whoever invented plyometrics can eat my balls.

Can't wait until next week, which is a recovery week.

Still no huge change in physical appearance, but I didn't expect it. This workout is about converting fat to muscle and shedding pounds properly. In other words, slowly. I think I'm starting to see changes in my gut and chest, but they're subtle.

Actually, I take it back, my arms and legs are already showing vast gains.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Wrapping up week 5.

A few new workouts were added this week that were a nice change of pace.

Monday was a chest, shoulders, and triceps workout that was, aside from maybe Core, the toughest workout yet.

Wednesday added Back and Biceps, which seems to be the easiest strength workout in the program.

In terms of physical changes, my golf shorts are damn near falling straight off my hips. I'll need a belt soon for them. And this morning I threw on my jeans and a belt that has always been buckled via the third hole (very tightly in the past) and this morning was surprised to find that I had buckled it via the fourth hole without any trouble.

Pro Tip: Weirdest workout tip I've ever received comes from a personal trainer I met this weekend. She (get ready for the jokes) said that men should find their wife, girlfriend, sex doll, whatever after a workout and have an orgasm. Apparently, doing so will tell your body to produce more testosterone, which helps your gains from your workout.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Started today. 2nd reps of the chest/back...

"Set a # in your head, set a goal"

Diamond push-ups...

Seriously... my arms are spaghetti
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Day 2: Upper body is completely sore from yesterday.

Did the Plyometrics today. This was certainly rough, but I almost kept up the entire way. Makes sense since I've been doing so much more leg-based work (jogging/walking/biking) than upper body stuff. It was still hard, and I know I'll feel it tomorrow, though.

Overall, it's nice. I like not having to think about a routine, or exercises to do, etc. I just go along with the video, and that's it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Diamond push-ups...

Don't let that get you down. Diamond push ups suck. Plus, there are at least a dozen more types of push ups that you haven't seen yet.

And as he says on one of the DVDs, don't expect to excel at all exercises, all people are just better or worse at certain ones. He goes to explain that while he's great at pull ups, other aren't, and he stinks at other exercises.

My P90X update is that I'm redoing week 6 again as last week was my birthday, my brother-in-law's birthday, and the 4th, so I ate some junk and missed a few workouts.

Are you sticking to the diet 100%? Are you doing any creatine, mass builder drinks, vitamins, etc?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Nah, I wasn't letting that get me down - more just a statement on how out of shape I am, combined with how brutal that exercise is.

Right now, I'm not doing any of the diet stuff. For "recovery" I just eat a snack (300 calories or so) with protein and carbs. I bought some creatine a bit ago when I decided to lift, then never did, and threw it out when we moved. If I had it still, I'd try it. It has science behind it from everything I've read.

I might try the creatine and a multivitamin.

My entire body is now a sore mess. Except my calves.... and hands.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I'm doing creatine.

My diet isn't the P90X diet. I'm just trying to eat healthier and correctly.

The soreness never really leaves, but it does get a lot less intense.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

PAIN IS WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:PAIN IS WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY.
I thought pain was nerve endings firing.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Yeah, firing that weakness from the body.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

As I expected, I'm pretty unbalanced.

I kept up with plyo almost, and then was able to do almost all of the leg stuff at their pace, though with lower weights. I dropped on the single leg squats.

But the arm/chest stuff kills me.

My chin up bar came today, but I didn't have it together for the work out. I was able to do 3 normal chin-ups, and cheat for a 4th. :)
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

When you hit your wall, cheat. Listen to Tony, the host, he'll say that multiple times. Cheat or modify.

Use a chair on pull ups when you can't do it on your own. Go to your knees on pushups when you can't do it on your own. Switch to a lower weight. Etc.

The additional reps are going to help you reach your goals.
Paul

Post by Paul »

How is the P90X stuff been going?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Just finished week 2.

Soreness has gone down a lot in week 2. I added a 2/3 mile swim before one of the workouts, which ended up being a pretty brutal combination.

I've been using yoga as a day off instead of doing it, which has helped.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I just finished Week 7. Next week is my second recovery week. (If you're keeping score at home, I repeated week 6 due to birthdays, the 4th, etc.)

I skip Yoga too, except for the Yoga in the recovery week. Yoga takes too long, and while the first half is intense and makes you sweat, the second half is all balance stuff.

Still no clue how much weight I've lost, but I've definitely added more muscle.