ants + gasoline

For stuff that is general.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

A few weeks ago, ants invaded the kitchen. Eventually, their battalions were beaten back outside the door. Walking outside today, the roommate saw what appeared to be a very out of place pile of dirt in the back yard. Turned out to be the biggest mass of ants I've ever seen congregating above ground outside those Discovery channels specials about army ants marching through South America. Roommate doused the bastards with petrol & I lit it up with a match. I credit hundreds of hours of watching Mythbusters with saving me from getting immolated in the ensuing fireball.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

New queen was moving and they were swarming.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Moving in or out?
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Out, usually. When new queens make it to maturity, they usually take half the colony and move elsewhere.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

So there's still more of them in the vicinity... Hmm, will have to keep a look out.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Another gathering of ants happened literally right in my backyard yesterday. Same result, only this time the amount of gasoline used wasn't enough to fuel a Humvee for a few 'round the world journeys. If I keep going mass murder/arson on these goddamned things, will the eventually take the hint & leave?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Don't know if it would work for an ant nest, but I read that one way to kill a subterranean hornet nest was to get a beer bottle full of gasoline, and up-end the next into the opening of the hive and let it sit overnight. The fumes kill them.
unkbill

Post by unkbill »

GORDON wrote:Don't know if it would work for an ant nest, but I read that one way to kill a subterranean hornet nest was to get a beer bottle full of gasoline, and up-end the next into the opening of the hive and let it sit overnight. The fumes kill them.
Please don't pour out a beer. can probably find an empty bottle for you. Working on a canada club in the garage. heh.
In marriage there is always one person right. And the other one is the husband.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Can't even figure where the nest is. Tried to watch where they ran when I went all Backdraft on them, but it's well camouflaged.