World Cup

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Wow! What an amazing match. Their shot goes off the crossbar. We get robbed by the ref again. I thought we were fucked until Donovan hit the winner in the 91st.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

USA USA USA USA USA USA USA!!!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote:USA USA USA USA USA USA USA!!!
USA!
It's not me, it's someone else.
Troy

Post by Troy »

I find it hilarious that we went from out of the tournament to first in our group with 3 minutes left. (in extra time)

Edited By Troy on 1277309793
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I have heard this competition is rife with corruption.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

GORDON wrote:I have heard this competition is rife with corruption.

The heads of FIFA most definitely are! The president of CONCACAF(our region) is from Trinidad and Tobago and he has been caught taking tickets for previous World Cups and selling them himself. He also tries and gets other countries to make out the checks for T&T friendly games directly to him. Also fixes the books and keeps the bonus money that is suppose to go to T&T national team players.

During the World Cup bid process he was really pushing for everyone is our region to support Mexico until sources in other federations started mentioning that his reasoning was because Mexican law was a bit more lax then the US and they could steal more money. Mexico then dropped out because they couldn't afford it. He has since told the region to throw their support behind the US.

You never know about the on the field stuff and if you told me that the refs we found to be gambling on either todays game or the US game vs Slovenia I wouldn't be shocked but I think most of the bad calls are due to the refs just being idiots and sucking at their job.

Edited By WSGrundy on 1277312854
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

Now we sit and wait to see who finishes second in Group D. Not real excited about our chances against any that would finish second. My guess is Serbia but them along with Germany and Ghana would be a struggle.

There would be an interesting side story to all the games. Ghana beat us last world cup and Adu while not on the team could have played for either country. Serbia has a defender who had played in the youth World Cups for the US but then switched to Serbia and US midfielder Jermain Jones who would certainly be on the team if not injured was born in Germany but has an American father.

Edited By WSGrundy on 1277325353
unkbill

Post by unkbill »

GORDON wrote:I have heard this competition is rife with corruption.

Money talks Bullshit walks. Are they talking football again.
I can say for sure. Just had a call from southern someone make a kid happy. Told him I could save him some time. I believe in charity but when you are having trouble paying your own bills charity starts at home.
He hung up on me not even a fuck you have a nice day!

Edited By unkbill on 1277329747
In marriage there is always one person right. And the other one is the husband.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I'm reserving judgment over what happened with the french team. If the coach was indeed a shitty leader then I agree with their actions. But either way, the coach failed (though his hands may have been tied by The Man).
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

France got the EASIEST draw in the tourney, and blew it. Suck it, France.
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

TheCatt wrote:France got the EASIEST draw in the tourney, and blew it. Suck it, France.
I would give the easiest group tag to Italy first. I think the US and England had an easier group too.

How do the Irish feel? Really happy because France crashed out but really pissed because of France wasting the opportunity that they feel was stolen from them. Italy won the group to put the Ireland in the playoff with France so maybe there was some Irish voodoo going on.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Well, considering that France was supposedly the 3rd ranked team in the group (since they barely qualified), they had the easiest draw. Italy was the 1st ranked team in their group.
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

TheCatt wrote:Well, considering that France was supposedly the 3rd ranked team in the group (since they barely qualified), they had the easiest draw. Italy was the 1st ranked team in their group.
Since they had more trouble qualifying they were lucky to be put into the group with the seeded host but looking at the groups, New Zealand is worse then any team in group A. Paraguay and Slovakia are both worse then Uruguay and Mexico. Uruguay and Mexico are both better then Algeria and Slovenia. You could argue that Mexico is better then the US, although I think a more accurate statement would be man to man Mexico has the better players but the US is a bit tougher and is better at playing as a team.

The French being eliminated is funny and seems to be karmic justice but not all that surprising but Italy not advancing is shocking.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Italy not advancing sucks.

And yes, the French stole that victory over the Irish. I watched that game and that frog swatted the ball in with his hands.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

GORDON wrote:I'm reserving judgment over what happened with the french team. If the coach was indeed a shitty leader then I agree with their actions. But either way, the coach failed (though his hands may have been tied by The Man).
The French coach has had some highlights to his career. He chose the TV interview right after France had lost to Italy in Euro 2008 and were eliminated to propose to his girlfriend. He also uses star charts to help pick players for the team and when they should play.

Plus while Anelka probably shouldn't have used the half time meeting to tell the coach to "Go fuck yourself you son of a whore." Demanding that Anelka make a public apology for what was a somewhat private fight seems arrogant(I know big surprise!).
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

Leisher wrote:Italy not advancing sucks.

And yes, the French stole that victory over the Irish. I watched that game and that frog swatted the ball in with his hands.
I still put the blame on FIFA and the refs. I am pretty sure that almost all players would do the same thing except for a very few. In the 1-2 seconds that it all happened I think most of that was just reactions without thinking. For the refs to completely miss Henry touching the ball TWICE and for there not to be any sort of technology after the play is them just being stubborn. The Irish team spent 10mins after the goal fight and complaining you would think that someone could look at a screen and see the infraction in about 10 seconds.

Italy being out is OK by me because I like to see some big teams fall and I think it was a bit of a flop that gave them the penalty vs New Zealand.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

That's the one thing that kills me about Italy: the flops. They flop more than everyone else combined.
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

TheCatt wrote:That's the one thing that kills me about Italy: the flops. They flop more than everyone else combined.
I agree. Some of it isn't their fault because the refs are so corrupt in Seria A that the fans/players think it is the only way to get a fair result but still ridiculous. They are like a South or Central American teams. Or Greece with that fake injury that got the Nigerian player red carded.
Troy

Post by Troy »

TheCatt wrote:That's the one thing that kills me about Italy: the flops. They flop more than everyone else combined.
As an extremely long player of the game, that shit drives me more crazy than any other part of the sport. I'm not sure how people can do it and then even remotely act like a man afterwards.

Of all the criticisms of the sport "boring, no commercials breaks, too much running" it's the only one that I have absolutely no retort to. I'm like "Yeah what a bunch of bitches"