bees

For stuff that is general.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

There's some bees that've set up a nest inside our house wall, between front door & mailbox. I hear you need to tear the space open anyhow to get any & all bits of the hive, honeycomb, etc., gone. That'll make it easier to kill the bastards as well. The $64,000 question is should we (roommates & myself) ice the pests ourselves or hire it out? How much of a pain is it?

Edited By Malcolm on 1251484670
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I'd imagine that come late January they won't bee (!) too feisty, as long as you open the wall from the outside and let that cold air blast in. I could do it myself. YMMV. If you don't have the skillz, pay some contractor $100 to do it. SHouldn't need an exterminator since they'll all be frozen.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Although it would be pretty awesome to drill a hole above the nest right now, and pour in some liquid nitrogen.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:I'd imagine that come late January they won't bee (!) too feisty, as long as you open the wall from the outside and let that cold air blast in. I could do it myself. YMMV. If you don't have the skillz, pay some contractor $100 to do it. SHouldn't need an exterminator since they'll all be frozen.
There's no way in the name of Jeebus that we're going to knock out a wall in the middle of a Minnesota January.

Current plan is ..

1. Somehow, someway get enough of the wall torn off to the point where we can jab a can or two of poison on the end of a stick & trigger them.

2. Wait a bit, see if the come back, lather, rinse, repeat if necessary.

3. Go in, rip out more wall, remove every last trace of the hive.

4. Somehow replace wall.

& all this shit needs to happen in a couple months, otherwise, it'll be way too fucking cold.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

You need to tear out both inside and outside of the wall? I never saw it like that. Having the width of one stud space uninsulated for a couple hours isn't really going to do anything to your heating bill.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

To get to them, we'd either have to take out a doorframe or punch in from the outside. If you were to stand & face the house ...

************** =============
**** DOOR **** =============
************** == WINDOW ====
************** ============

===========
== STAIRS ===
===========
x
^ ... entrance hole to nest

The huge blue rectangle between the door & window to the living room have to be where they live.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

You could just post pics.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I think Mike Rowe did this on Ditrty Jobs.

When I saw it on TV, they cut out a chunk of the wall and cut out the combs with a knife.

Seems like a lot of work.

...and you'd better post pics!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Can already feel temperatures starting to drop due to fall rolling around. Gonna be interesting to see when we do this.
unkbill

Post by unkbill »

Why not drill a 1 inch hole in the top of the wall and start blasting in wasp killer. Empty a can and duck tape over the hole. They won't generally come back after that stuff is on a surface. What is the reason for removing the nest anyway?
In marriage there is always one person right. And the other one is the husband.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

unkbill wrote:Why not drill a 1 inch hole in the top of the wall and start blasting in wasp killer. Empty a can and duck tape over the hole. They won't generally come back after that stuff is on a surface. What is the reason for removing the nest anyway?
Nest's supposed to get removed so it's not inviting to other critters later.

Had a chat w\ a buddy of mine that had to do shyte like this. Said he just got a few cans of foamy insect killer & blasted the hole w\ it. Fuckers were dropping dead when they flew out of the hole.