One Piece (Netflix)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

One Piece (Netflix)

Post by GORDON »

First thing: I have no knowledge of source material, which I believe is an anime show. Not even sure if Chinese or Japanese.

It's a world of pirates looking for plunder and adventure. There's a treasure to be won and the government wants to destroy them and seem as corrupt as the pirates so I'm not yet sure what is the point, 2 episodes in.

The style is odd. It's sort of serious, sort of adult, there's body counts, but the tone is generally bloodless and absurdist.

I've heard this is a well-done show and good adaption of source material.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

One Piece (Netflix)

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:43 pm have no knowledge of source mater
GORDON wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:43 pm I have no knowledge of source material, which I believe is an anime show. Not even sure if Chinese or Japanese.
That tracks.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

One Piece (Netflix)

Post by GORDON »

I'm about half way through, and can't decide if I like it yet. I give it A+ for production values, though. They've set a tone and they're following through.

But it's kind of child-like and parts of it just don't appeal.
GORDON
Site Admin

One Piece (Netflix)

Post by GORDON »

Ok, I figured out what bugged me about this show.

There's absolutely no grittiness. No edge. No darkness at all. There were adult themes, killings, etc, but it was confusing to me because it was made like a children's show.

In the end I could appreciate that what felt like one-note characters at the beginning were fleshed out, and had personal growth.

I'll watch S2 whenever it comes out.