Risky Business

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Cakedaddy

Risky Business

Post by Cakedaddy »

Not going to review, have something else.

At the end of the movie, other students are talking about their business they did.

"We made this product and sold it for X dollars and we made a profit of Y dollars".

Then when he talked about his, he talked about making X thousands of dollars in Y amount of time.

It's being argued that his business lost $300 after taking all expenses into account.
Counter argument, the cost of retrieving his home goods is not a business expense and the business was profitable.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Risky Business

Post by TheCatt »

I dont know enough details.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Cakedaddy

Risky Business

Post by Cakedaddy »

You haven't seen the movie?!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Risky Business

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:06 pm You haven't seen the movie?!
I didn't memorize the AR + AP aspects. :)
Leisher
Site Admin

Risky Business

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:07 pm
Cakedaddy wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:06 pm You haven't seen the movie?!
I didn't memorize the AR + AP aspects. :)
Got to step in here and defend Catt.

Not sure if you're aware, but there were a LOT of sexy women in the movie and he probably wasn't thinking about money. I honestly had no recollection of his furniture being stolen until you mentioned it above.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Risky Business

Post by Cakedaddy »

There wasn't a whole lot to it!

Joel hosts a fuck party and makes some thousands of dollars. Pays the girls and other expenses that night. Next day, Guido steals all his stuff and he has to buy it back with his profits and runs out of money. Owes Guido $300 to get the last piece.

One argues that Guido was not a business expense. Just a robbery that Joel had to cover up so he didn't get in trouble with mom and dad.

Other argues that Guido stealing was a direct result of doing business, and is considered a business expense. Had the business not been conducted, there would have been no robbery.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Risky Business

Post by TheCatt »

Yeah... I really focused on different parts of the movie :)

OK, so I would argue:
1 - The egg is a cost.
2 - The Porsche repairs are NOT a cost.
3 - Guido is a cost.

Did he have enough leftover to pay for the car? What happened there?
Leisher
Site Admin

Risky Business

Post by Leisher »

I don't remember an egg or a Porsche. I do remember a subway(?) and I think Cypher was Guido?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Risky Business

Post by Cakedaddy »

He had enough to pay for the Porche. But, I honestly don't know if it was paid for with the pimping income, or if he found the cash some other way. Because I don't remember if he had the car back pre or post fuck night. So, that not being a cost, that would increase the profit (because that wasn't figured in as to why he was $300 short at the end).

1. Agreed
2. Agreed
3. (not saying yet because I don't want to say which side I'm on yet!)
Leisher wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:58 pm and I think Cypher was Guido?
No, Ralph Cifaretto was Guido.
GORDON
Site Admin

Risky Business

Post by GORDON »

I thought he got the Porche fixed for free by his high school shop class.

Which is impossible in the time frame given, but that's how it looked. I don't know how anyone would rebuild an engine in... what... 2 days?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Risky Business

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:22 pm No, Ralph Cifaretto was Guido.
Holy shit. You could have told me they were the same person.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Risky Business

Post by TheCatt »

I'd have to rewatch it to get the whole story. I'm going based off shaky memories + an internet recap.
GORDON
Site Admin

Risky Business

Post by GORDON »

Always seemed weird to me that a crystal egg had great emotional value to the mother. She comes home from vacation, and that's the first thing she goes to. They're clearly very well off and the more you have, the less value individual things have.

Maybe she is a dragon in disguise and that was the crown of her hoard.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."