Bro do you even COMPOST?

For the self-sufficiency stuff that you do, or want to discuss
GORDON
Site Admin

Bro do you even COMPOST?

Post by GORDON »

It's awesome to have a source of natural fertilizer, and I love putting kitchen scraps, and chicken coop bedding, to further use.

I keep a repurposed gallon milk jug as my countertop compost collector. Any vegetable scrap goes in here, egg shells (super good calcium source for garden), tea bags, coffee grounds. Instead of the landfill, organic matter goes back to the environment.... and I'm not buying plastic bags of this stuff in the spring, instead, adding to the carbon problem.

Milk jug, and if I have a big project happening.... like stringing peppers.... I supplement by repurposing a plastic grocery bag, for the trip out to the compost pile. I dislike having to walk out there every day, especially in winter.

PXL_20231006_163448856.MP.jpg

I keep my compost pile in two halves. One half is the active pile that I dump in until Fall, then stop to let it season for 12 months. I also add chicken coop shit/bedding, so I like to give it a year to mellow before I put it in the garden.

PXL_20231006_164017475.MP.jpg

That's the other half, it will be spread on my garden beds at the first frost, when the garden is well and truly done. It will work itself into the soil and everything will be ready to go again April/May. As soon as I use this half, I close off the other half to let it season, and start dumping this half. Back and forth. Good system.

PXL_20231006_164020788.MP.jpg

People decide this needs to be more complicated, turning it all the time and whatnot. That might be true for some, but my operation is so small it's all fine just leaving it in a pile. Working for me. Just reuse your kitchen scraps and stop being part of the problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."