Omori

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Omori

Post by Leisher »

Let's start with the "Overwhelmingly Positive" reviews on the Steam. They are deserved.

This is an RPG that is HEAVY on story. This cannot be overstated. If you are not a story person, avoid this game. It's really, really good though. Seriously exceptional.

This game's RPG system plays like a mix of Zelda and turn based JRPGs. There's action, but not in combat. That's all turn based. There are puzzles all over. They will combine fetch quests, "what do I do?", and some act quickly types. You can't really fuck them up, so don't let the puzzles deter you.

Saving your game is only done at save points, but they're all over.

The weapons and equipment are a very minor part of your experience. You'll get upgraded stuff as you go along, but the only thing you'll really care about upgrading is your weapons. The equipment is really more of a preference thing to fit your style and not game changing. You'll also level up a lot through side quests, and hint hint if you want all the achievements and the "best" endings you should finish them all. (I did not because I passed certain points of no return without realizing it. If you're achievement hunting, you will want to consult a guide.)

So, what's the story about? Fuck. I really don't know how to describe it in detail without spoilers. Picture playing a video game version of the Spongebob Squarepants world only this version is on HBO Max and developed under the supervision of John Carpenter. That's probably a bad description, but it fits. Your party is four old kids/young teens and a fifth that's always with you. The setting is mostly in a fantasy world with talking everything where you fight rabbits and spiders and teddy bears. However, I assure you there is a reason for this setting and it's not the only setting...

The themes in this game are dark as fuck. Worse, they're real. I think that distinction is why I wouldn't call this a "horror". Yep, a game where I went to a dino dig run by talking dinosaurs and dug up things like hamburgers, in the same town where rabbits are hostile and I saved a sentient croissant by flipping it over, is pretty realistic. I know that sentence makes no sense, but I guarantee you that sentence is correct. Just thinking back over the game it honestly blows my mind how they effectively had so many scenes that would have been at home on the Saturday mornings of our youth sitting in the same game as dark shit that will honestly be very difficult for some people to play through.

And it all works. It all makes sense. Again, this is such a well made game.

Are there flaws? Not game breaking bugs, no. However, there are a couple of things here and there that could have been done better. When I say that, I mean done more efficiently. However, perhaps making a couple of tasks more manual was intentional to ensure your were vested? Looking back, there were moments that I was not loving the fantasy world stuff. I was more looking forward to the game being over, and was even thinking about stopping playing. But man does the story payoff!

Again, it all makes sense by the final act. It's the video game equivalent of The Usual Suspects.

This game will not be for everyone. However, if you're an RPG fan who loves a really well done story and patience is one of your virtues, you should give this one a try. Highly recommended.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”