Maid of Sker

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Maid of Sker

Post by Leisher »

FPS (without the S) horror game.

You're Thomas and heading to Hotel Sker, which is owned by your GF's family. There's trouble, but you're not really sure what sort. This leads you to exploring the hotel and its grounds to end the threat. You have no weapons so your main weapon is stealth. This is made easier because...well, no spoilers. I will say that I roamed the hotel almost exclusively by crouching.

Sound is super important. Playing with headphones probably works perfectly, but good speakers are fine too. There is a very important mechanic that is necessary at times and it's related to sound. Also, you will have access to a "weapon" of sorts at one point, but you're not killing anyone so it's use is specific.

The story is well done to give you purpose, but there won't be any heartstrings pulled. I will say that if you find the notes and follow the story, you'll know what to do when you need to do things. There are two boss fights and I put that here because the notes tell you what to do. In fact, one boss fight the game legit just blatantly tells you "DON'T DO THIS", so I'm guessing play testing didn't go well.

Trial and error is the biggest factor in the game, and it was honestly designed for that type of game play. Your stats reflect your deaths, saves, times hit, and the collectables you found. Achievements are based on all those things, so most are only unlocked with multiple playthroughs. For me, this isn't the type of game that's going to have me playing it multiple times. I'm here to beat the game, enjoy the ride, and take in the story. I think I got 6 achievements total.

The enemies really come in four flavors. No mutants or monsters. These are flesh and blood men. A regular drone, a beefier and rarely seen drone, and the two bosses. One of the bosses you'll see often as he's the big bad, but he's not intimidating or really a threat. The other...he's very well crafted, but he has one design flaw that makes him a bit of a cop out by the developers. Sitting here typing this I took a 5 second break to ponder him and easily fixed the obstacle they couldn't and it wouldn't have taken much effort or hurt the game. He is memorable though. They all are and are perfectly designed for this story and the genre.

Not a super big map or a very long game. I was able to beat it in a few nights as I took a break from Forgive Me Father. If you like horror games, this one has a good enough story, visually impressive enemies, a gimmick out of a recent surprise hit of a movie, and the one very cool big bad. Grab it if you see it for $5 or less.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”