Steam Deck

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Steam Deck

Post by Leisher »

Should probably give it its own thread...

How to add dual boot for Windows 11 and emulation.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Steam Deck

Post by TheCatt »

My order went through today.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Steam Deck

Post by Leisher »

Congrats!
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Steam Deck

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:18 pmCongrats!
I have like 78,000 "Steam points" are they just useless/only for virtual crap?
Leisher
Site Admin

Steam Deck

Post by Leisher »

I went and looked and I have 218K points.

Yes, virtual crap and used ala Reddit where you can spend to give others rewards in forums.

Valve's "no management" environment can be cool, but it also results in a lot of junk and missed opportunities.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Steam Deck

Post by TheCatt »

Didn't they used to give like $5 off coupons during sales or something if you bought enough stuff?
Leisher
Site Admin

Steam Deck

Post by Leisher »

There were coupons, yes. However, I don't remember what the triggers were for them.

Honestly, there are a number of things Valve does that are dumb, and an equal amount that are awesome. It's pretty obvious though that someone concerned with the bottom line is not making decisions there.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Steam Deck

Post by TheCatt »

It gets hot. I've only done the demo, will try it out more when back from vacation.
Leisher
Site Admin

Steam Deck

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:10 pmIt gets hot.
Keep an eye on that. Mine doesn't.

I'm grabbing an SD Card today and may start the process of making it a Windows device when I return from vacation.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Steam Deck

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:23 am Keep an eye on that. Mine doesn't.
Where I hold it isn't hot, but on the right side of the screen, very hot.
Stranger

Steam Deck

Post by Stranger »

TheCatt wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:42 am Where I hold it isn't hot, but on the right side of the screen, very hot.
Make sure the fan is running. The exhaust comes out the top of the unit you should feel some airflow coming out of there. The processor sits on the right side of the deck so i'd be concerned, especially if you say its very hot. Could be the fan isn't running cause its faulty or not plugged in or the heat sink isn't seated properly to the processor.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Stranger

Steam Deck

Post by Stranger »

i posted this video before, but at 6:00 he goes over the thermal cooling of the Steam Deck. If you're feeling up to it open it up and check it out.

WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Steam Deck

Post by TheCatt »

It's running about 125F on the back, 140F out of the fan vent, 108F on the screen right-hand side.
Leisher
Site Admin

Steam Deck

Post by Leisher »

I can assure you mine does not get hot like that. Something could be wrong.

I'll fire it up and double check tonight though.
Stranger

Steam Deck

Post by Stranger »

Those temps arent way out of control, but that doesn't tell you what the temp of the actual CPU is. Just found this article that came out today about something similar. Plus there is a way to check your CPU and GPU temps, so i'd check that out.

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2022/07/v ... pdate-out/
If you do want to know how hot your Deck is running, that's easy enough thanks to the built-in performance overlay. If you hit the Quick Access button (the three dots) and go to the Performance menu (the battery icon) and set the Overlay Level to 3 it will show temperatures for the GPU and CPU like this:
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Steam Deck

Post by TheCatt »

CPU/GPU topped out around 80-82 degrees C. GPU was around 95%, CPU was around 40%.
Stranger

Steam Deck

Post by Stranger »

Honestly, that's really not that bad. CPU seems like it's a little warm for running only 40% though.

I know on my home PC my CPU at idle is usually at about 40C and when i run a game it will go up to 50-55C. But that's with a really big heat sink on it in a pretty large very well ventilated case.

GPU goes up to around 85-90C when gaming. Not unusual for GPU to be hotter than CPU but thats in a desktop, a small handheld would be hotter.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
GORDON
Site Admin

Steam Deck

Post by GORDON »

"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Steam Deck

Post by TheCatt »

(Buy game on my laptop, then turn on my Steam Deck)

Steam Deck: Can't talk to the Steam servers.

Me: Well, WHY THE FUCK NOT?

Steam Deck: Can't talk to the Steam servers.

Also, the idea that my credentials expire on this device is fucking maddening.

I'm trying to relogin, but the god damned thing won't do jack shit.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Steam Deck

Post by TheCatt »

"You will need to re-login"

GFY.