The First Biden Term

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

Debt ceiling agreement reached and what's in it.

To my untrained eyes it doesn't appear to contain any dramatically huge wins or loses for either party.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:58 pm Debt ceiling agreement reached and what's in it.

To my untrained eyes it doesn't appear to contain any dramatically huge wins or loses for either party.
It honestly doesn't look like much of anything. It's basically suspending the cap and giving a few token points to each side. The Trump tax cuts remain unpaid for, and the debt will just keep skyrocketing.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:09 pm the debit will just keep skyrocketing.
As opposed to how it hasn't been skyrocketing for a while now? Does anyone actually believe that either party gives two fucks about the debt? The country is being run in the same way corporate America is being run: Results now, fuck the future.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:32 pm As opposed to how it hasn't been skyrocketing for a while now?
Do you know what the word "keep" means? I'm confused.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by GORDON »

A small castle/large holdfast.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:40 pm A small castle/large holdfast.
This.

I wasn't questioning your statement, but rather how anyone can justify voting for these two parties. Neither cares about you. Neither does shit for you. They pass laws to help their corporate friends, enrich their own bank accounts, and give us lip service. The only difference is which corporations they are beholden to and which cultists worship them.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:05 pm
GORDON wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:40 pm A small castle/large holdfast.
This.

I wasn't questioning your statement, but rather how anyone can justify voting for these two parties. Neither cares about you. Neither does shit for you. They pass laws to help their corporate friends, enrich their own bank accounts, and give us lip service. The only difference is which corporations they are beholden to and which cultists worship them.
Gotcha. Since you quoted that parted, I thought you were referring to my statement.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

Apologies. I just used your statement as a nice bridge to my question/statement. Sometimes the interwebs is pretty bad at showcasing intent.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

I see the Ds are being urged to vote for the debt ceiling bill to offset any R dissention.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:27 pm I see the Ds are being urged to vote for the debt ceiling bill to offset any R dissention.
They may as well. It's a nothing bill.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:46 pm
Leisher wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:27 pm I see the Ds are being urged to vote for the debt ceiling bill to offset any R dissention.
They may as well. It's a nothing bill.
Right? I don't understand any objections unless they're saying "It does nothing except raise the debt ceiling."
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by TheCatt »

The final tally for the vote was 314 to 117. There were 149 Republicans and 165 Democrats who voted for the bill and 71 Republicans and 46 Democrats who voted against it.
The most bipartisan thing Congress has done in years?
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:49 pm
The final tally for the vote was 314 to 117. There were 149 Republicans and 165 Democrats who voted for the bill and 71 Republicans and 46 Democrats who voted against it.
The most bipartisan thing Congress has done in years?
They were pretty united against banning their stock trading and all of their raises.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:04 pm They were pretty united against banning their stock trading and all of their raises.
Bipartisan group introduced an act to stop the trading, but it sure hasn't moved anywhere: https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-con ... -bill/1171
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

I don't think two independents make that bipartisan...

I know AOC and Gaetz just co-authored a bill to end stock trading by people in Congress, but I've seen nothing about it even making it to a vote.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:35 pm I don't think two independents make that bipartisan...
Guess you're right, I was thinking of the House version, which you reference. It also was introduced at the same time (same bill), and has done nothing.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

Both chambers vote to block Biden's student loan forgiveness bill.

He is expected to veto the bill. SCOTUS has yet to rule on related cases before it.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:44 am
That's not bipartisan.
It passed the Senate, so it had more bipartisanship than anything else in recent memory, aside from shooting down stock trading bans and giving themselves raises.