The First Biden Term

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:56 pm Oh noes, they go get a job somewhere else because of record unemployment.
Yep, right into lower paying jobs and not just because they have no marketable skills. Remember, this pay bump was just for fast food workers.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:13 am
TheCatt wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:56 pm Oh noes, they go get a job somewhere else because of record unemployment.
Yep, right into lower paying jobs and not just because they have no marketable skills. Remember, this pay bump was just for fast food workers.
You get way too tied up in the micro. WHAT IF A SINGLE BUSISNESS CLOSES? Yah, that happens all the time. WHAT IF A FEW PEOPLE LOSE THEIR JOBS? Yeah, happens all the time.

Manage the big picture, not the little one. More people getting paid more. Sure, some jobs are lost. And maybe those people go back to the $16 minimum wage for other jobs, but there's no way 500,000 fast food workers all lose their jobs or all their jobs disappear.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:16 am You get way too tied up in the micro.
No, I'm looking at the macro. I was just listing examples of things critics said would happen and have.

I think overall this increases the cost of living for all, but particularly for the very people this helps.
TheCatt wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:16 am there's no way 500,000 fast food workers all lose their jobs or all their jobs disappear.
They WILL get replaced, it's just a matter of when. This definitely means the process will speed up. I've already posted the links showing this is true. Plus, a standing kiosk where people can place their order is less than $2K. Bye bye jobs.

Ultimately, those workers will all be unemployed and prices won't have dropped.

I'm not against minimum wage needing to adjust to meet COL, but this massive bump to only a specific industry forced by the government seems very anti-capitalism and short sighted. And if you want to argue ulterior motives, it's not a drastic jump in logic to see government funded health care being a factor.

And yeah, businesses go under all the time, but this is a result of a very arbitrary and very targeted government law.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by GORDON »

Government: damn we pay a lot in Medicare and Medicaid for peeps.
Other government: yeah we do.
Gov: how can we reduce those costs?
Other government: IDK, education programs for healthier living?
G: nah fam, the people we support are damn dumb and don't listen.
OG: Can we force them to eat better and shit?
G: nah that's illegal, that stupid Bill of Rights sez we can't.
OG: Lol wtf
G: Right? But how about this... We shadow ban the unhealthy stuff by rising their costs to operate, so that it goes away on its own and people are required to eat the bugs and tofu that is good for them, and the environment.
OG: LOL, diabolical. We can frame it that were helping raise incomes for the poor. They'll eat it up... But not literally.
G: LOLOLOL. Bet. Knuckle bump.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

I mean, it's easier than voting against their food lobbyist friends. If the government actually cared about us and our health our food wouldn't be poison. We'd have the same regulations as Canada and Europe.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

Biden proposes tripling the tariff on Chinese steel.

Snark: I was told previously that tariffs on Chinese goods were bad and racist.

Seriously, I'm in favor of doing something to ensure more stuff gets made in 'Murica! However, are tariffs it? It just pisses off the foreign countries and it's never enough to alter our corporations' behavior anyway.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by GORDON »

They turn around and raise tarriffs on stuff WE sell. My econ prof said tariffs are never doing what they are sold to be doing.
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

Would it work if we instead just quietly offered massive tax breaks to companies who use American made goods?
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by GORDON »

Like.... all none of them? Just about.

Technically a tariff on steel, for example, made in china should be more expensive than the stuff made in pennsylvania (if they even still do, which i don't think they do). But then china uses cheap labor, and unions are expensive, so the tariffs are still cheaper............. BUT then the government gets to collect more money with a tariff, doesn't it.
Troy

The First Biden Term

Post by Troy »

If a our representatives are in agreement that a group of countries has formed "an axis of evil" and are moving against us, sometimes covertly, and sometimes not; could we just tariff all goods and transactions with those countries? They have us in numbers - we should flex our greatest strength.
Last edited by Troy on Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by TheCatt »

We should challenge them to a conventional war
Troy

The First Biden Term

Post by Troy »

*this is entirely insane warhawk shit*

Ok - but our most precious resource is our people. We need more Americans, not losing our best ones.

F-22 and F-35s over Ukraine seems likes the best step to stop Russia in its tracks. But some of our recovery teams, at least, are dying horribly.

I don't like that either, even from this wild hawkish side.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by GORDON »

russia isn't above shooting down a civilian airliner from time to time, seems like a small thing for them to OOPS SORRY ABOUT YOUR TANKERS OFF OF SAN FRAN, TOTAL ACCIDENT if they start getting irked by us in Ukraine.
Troy

The First Biden Term

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:14 pm russia isn't above shooting down a civilian airliner from time to time, seems like a small thing for them to OOPS SORRY ABOUT YOUR TANKERS OFF OF SAN FRAN, TOTAL ACCIDENT if they start getting irked by us in Ukraine.
I think they might do similar - but not sure even Putin would defy the reason the US Navy was created? "Don't fuck with US boats"
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

Biden admin reverses Trump sex discrimination rules and expands Title IX.

This is such a great example of everything wrong with politics. The Trump era rule sucked, so great job replacing it. However, you go too far with the trans horseshit. Women get a win only to also get a loss.

Speaking of...

The absolute pandering is disgusting and a huge self-own when you consider the ignorance of economics at play. I realize Biden has probably never once been on X/Twitter, but if your team doesn't understand how revenue affects pay then maybe you shouldn't be running the country and its economy?

Also, you can't demand "fair pay" for female athletes, while also believing female athletes can be born male.
GORDON
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by GORDON »

Polls have shown a big majority of people don't like biological males competing in women's sports. This could come back and bite them. They're actively fucking over female athletes.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/507023/say ... h%20gender.
TheCatt
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by TheCatt »

Imagine a party that believed in: Abortion rights, immigration constraints, equality, higher standards of living (minimum wage), and not oppressing women with transpeople.
Cakedaddy

The First Biden Term

Post by Cakedaddy »

TheCatt wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:22 am Imagine a party that believed in: Abortion rights, immigration constraints, equality, higher standards of living (minimum wage), and not oppressing women with transpeople.
According to some people, voting for that party would be a waste of your vote. :-)
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:46 am
TheCatt wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:22 am Imagine a party that believed in: Abortion rights, immigration constraints, equality, higher standards of living (minimum wage), and not oppressing women with transpeople.
According to some people, voting for that party would be a waste of your vote. :-)
Well played
Leisher
Site Admin

The First Biden Term

Post by Leisher »

Tell me again how we should listen to celebrities about politics. Biden supporters I know would NEVER say anything like this. Hell, most Biden votes are just anti-Trump votes.

I really hope Mark is just trolling, but this isn't the first time he's showed political ignorance.