Post-Corona Economy

For stuff that is general.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

Catt, May 11th is supposedly a big day regarding Covid, are all the financial things that have been postponed since covid related to that, the debt thing the Rs and Ds are negotiating, or both?

I keep seeing articles, comments, etc. warning that a big reality check is about to hit people, but I'm seeing conflicting reports about why.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

The COVID-19 emergency stuff ends May 11th. For me, I know that means I cannot get free covid tests directly from drugstores any more, paid for by insurance. Same with vaccines. I know there are some other healthcare regulations that will change (reimbursement, telehealth), etc but don't know about any massive changes financially.

The student loan payment pause is not impacted, afaik.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:04 pm The student loan payment pause is not impacted, afaik.
Is that still paused? If so, I wonder how many people haven't been financially planning for it. I'm guessing a lot.

Also thanks. So I'm guessing the debt ceiling this is going to impact people more.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:12 pm Is that still paused? If so, I wonder how many people haven't been financially planning for it. I'm guessing a lot.
Yes.
Leisher wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:12 pm Also thanks. So I'm guessing the debt ceiling this is going to impact people more.
Yes, unless it's resolved.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:56 am
GORDON wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:48 am They say inflation was 8% last year, but the cost of housing and food and cars seem to have gone up waaaaay more than that. 8% seems almost like they pulled a number out of their ass because the real number would tank the next election.
Or... inflation has a set definition (although there are multiple CPI measures), and the number adheres to that formula: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... rice_Index

An individual's inflation rate will vary based on the basket of good they consume. Like, if you aren't buying a car, you are not impacted by car inflation, etc.
The equation for inflation probably includes things that only affect rich people, like the cost of caviar, lark tongue, full-time butler staff, and yachts. The cost of all those things hasn't gone up and therefore it is skewing the numbers of the reality for those of us not in the top 5%. For those people, their 3 main expenses are housing, food, and transportation. Those are up way higher than 8%.

Almost none of them had income increases even up to 8%, they're getting poorer. Of course there's a recession coming, and I'm standing by my Depression prediction with 10 years... 9 years, now.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

Fed Reserve historian thinks they need to keep raising rates.

A Federal Reserve historian? I'll bet he's a fucking wild man and a lady killer.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

Want to party with him?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

Check out these prices.

If you went to this race and paid those prices without blinking, you're out of touch with reality.

One of my favorite Larry Bird stories was when he was on the Olympic team. (This would have been the early 90s.) Already a multimillionaire he and his team were in some bar in Mexico (I think). Larry asked the price of the beer in U.S. dollars. He was told it was $7. He said, "No thanks. You can keep your $7 beer."

Poor, middle class, or rich, we really need to be better with our money.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:19 pm Check out these prices.
JFC. As I tell my wife "At those prices, the food better have come with a hooker"

Remove the last digit, and sounds like real prices, but still a little high.

Although, if you're the type of person being offered that food at those prices, you have so much money it doesn't matter.
Troy

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Troy »

Fyre festival is leaking.

Maybe i'm just used to big city prices, but removing the 0 and getting 4 person portion sizes seems about right. ONLY IF YOU REMOVE A ZERO.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:56 pm Fyre festival is leaking.

Maybe i'm just used to big city prices, but removing the 0 and getting 4 person portion sizes seems about right. ONLY IF YOU REMOVE A ZERO.
OK, I didn't see the "serves 4 people," so yeah, just stick to removing the zero.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Rate of inflation continues to fall https://www.cnbc.com/2023/06/13/cpi-inf ... 2023-.html

Well below the Trunp-created peak.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:03 am Well below the Trunp-created peak.
(Serious question) How did Trump create it?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by GORDON »

It's nice that inflation is still rising but not as fast as it was before.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:01 pm
TheCatt wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:03 am Well below the Trunp-created peak.
(Serious question) How did Trump create it?
Tax cuts + pandemic spending. I know, you'll say Congress, and then I'll point to his signature on them.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:09 pm It's nice that inflation is still rising but not as fast as it was before.
Always look on the bright side!!! (Unless an R is in the Oval Office.)
TheCatt wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:41 pm I know, you'll say Congress, and then I'll point to his signature on them.
I refuse to acknowledge that as a serious comment.

Grocery prices going up again.

Catt is working hard trying to figure out how to blame Trump.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post-Corona Economy

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:16 pm Catt is working hard trying to figure out how to blame Trump.
Nah, this one's easy: his anti-immigrant policies f'ed up the food supply chain for years.