Parasite (2019)

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Parasite (2019)

Post by GORDON »

What's it about? I would look it up but don't want to be spoielrd.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Parasite

Post by Leisher »

This is the summary on IMDB, and it's very spoiler free:
All unemployed, Ki-taek and his family take peculiar interest in the wealthy and glamorous Parks, as they ingratiate themselves into their lives and get entangled in an unexpected incident.
I have just heard very good things about it.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Parasite (2019)

Post by GORDON »

So, straight-drama/thriller?
Leisher
Site Admin

Parasite (2019)

Post by Leisher »

If it’s on Plex I’ll watch it this weekend and let you know.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Parasite (2019)

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: If it’s on Plex I’ll watch it this weekend and let you know.
It is, but I cannot guarantee it's quality, etc, etc.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Parasite (2019)

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: What's it about? I would look it up but don't want to be spoielrd.
You are right not to look things up. Avoid spoilers at all costs.

How to describe this film...

First of all, you need subtitles. There will still be a few things lost in translation.

As for the plot, the summary I posted earlier is pretty accurate. That is all the details I will get into. However, I'll tell you that it starts slowly, but I assure you that the ride is worth it. I do have a single quibble with the plot, but I can discuss it once more people see the film.

Oh, since this information is out there I'll tell you IMDB has it listed as a Comedy/Crime/Drama. I would call this a dark comedy in the vein of In Bruges. Yes, you may laugh and chuckle here and there, but it's lighter on the comedy than the dramatic side.

The acting and direction are great. Special mention to the lighting department. The way scenes were lit is key to the movie, and there's one area you'll be shown many times in the film, and it's really well done. For the acting, I don't think there is a single bad performance. Everyone "fits" perfectly. There's even one character key to the plot whose acting skills I'm guessing were subpar, and they do a great job of hiding that person within the film, but in plain sight.

There are hidden messages within the film. Things that you understand more once you reflect upon the movie. It's a bit tough to follow at the time because of some of the cultural barriers, but it's extremely well done.

I loved this movie.
Leisher
Site Admin

Parasite (2019)

Post by Leisher »

Parasite won the Oscars for best picture, best international picture, best director, and best screenplay.

Of the nominees I've seen, I'm cool with that.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Parasite (2019)

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Parasite won the Oscars for best picture, best international picture, best director, and best screenplay.

Of the nominees I've seen, I'm cool with that.
Take that "Oscars so white"!
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Parasite (2019)

Post by GORDON »

I watched it.

I saw the "shit flows downhill" symbolism.