Want to play Dungeons and Dragons 5E?

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Troy

Post by Troy »

Invite to session 0 on Roll20. I've set it for Friday, February 9th at 5-8 PM PACIFIC.

Come early for help and character options. Later for the campaign intro.
Last edited by Troy on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I haven't decided on a character yet. I've always liked Magic Users and Monks, but they don't get really fun until after level 10. So I dunno.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I have a feeling the undead are going to be in this game.

Maybe I'll play a Paladin or Cleric... turning undead like a mother fucker.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I'm going to have to do some reading and figure out what characters appeal to me.

What type of party makeup should we be trying to achieve?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: I'm going to have to do some reading and figure out what characters appeal to me.

What type of party makeup should we be trying to achieve?
I think for this particular campaign an effective party will have something like:

1-2 Warrior Types
(Fighter, Barbarian, Ranger)
Surviving the early game is going to take some characters that are effective early out of the gate and are durable enough for a tumble. Someone has to kick the door down. They'll also get a high number of effective skills early on

1-2 Divine Guys
(Paladin, Cleric)
Healing and smiting are useful in most campaigns. Usually a font of knowledge on deities and spirits. Wisdom = Perception now

1-2 Arcane Persons
(Wizard, Sorcerer)
I put on my robe and wizad's hat. Gets KO'd a lot early on. Needs to understand the magic system and own the PHB.

1-2 Sneaky Dudes
(Rogue, Bard, Druid)
Jack of all trades guys, a good battlefield presence and the ability to interact with the environment. Nobody searches a room better.

Here's some helpful rules on the various skills:
https://5thsrd.org/rules/abilities/ability_checks/
Last edited by Troy on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 21 times in total.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Hate to say this, but now that I've expressed interest, everyone else will ghost.

I'm very unpleasant and off-putting.
Troy

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: Hate to say this, but now that I've expressed interest, everyone else will ghost.
I'm going to try to fill one spot with a D&D newbie friend of mine. We should have enough to play.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Here is a character template I made for a newbie or first player. Starting gold per player is 100 per the campaign book.

Ranger Woodperson

Level 1 Ranger
Outlander background
Human
Chaotic Neutral

***Up to date default Ranger on Roll20
Last edited by Troy on Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Hate to say this, but now that I've expressed interest, everyone else will ghost.

Is there a martyr class?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote:

Is there a martyr class?
Especially now that I've paid money for the book. After I invest cash is when people really scatter.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Funny story:

A couple months ago I happened across my old box of 2nd edition stuff... I have all the books, tons of modules, maps, and a shitload of dice. I said to the kid, "Hey... we should play. I can teach you and we can get a few of your nerd buddies in on it."

His answer was, "No, because I want to date girls someday."

Perfect answer, really.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I said I'm in and I meant it.

I just have no clue what I'm doing. I think I played D&D last in my first year of high school or something. Do I need to buy a book?
GORDON wrote: His answer was, "No, because I want to date girls someday." Perfect answer, really.
He hasn't even met the girl yet, and he's already pretending to be someone other than himself for her. Tell him, if she doesn't accept you for who he is, then he shouldn't be with her. A lot of women mocks guy who play video games...

Or take him to the Comic Shop/Stop on Sylvania. There's a pretty hot girl that hangs out there and plays stuff like D&D, Warhammer, etc.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Player's Handbook is pretty usual if you really want to fully understand the game. Monster's Manual *could* be considered spoilers, if you want every encounter to be a surprise learning experience. A good Dungeon Master will never throw you into a situation in which you're impossibly outmatched.

"Dungeon Master Guide" would be considered very spoilery, in a sense. It has all the numbers and items and stats and secrets.

And absolutely do not buy the module you're going to play with a group and read ahead, that's just a dick move.
Troy

Post by Troy »

You definitely don't need anything else but the PHB. We won't be going outside those rules.

Roll20 has a wiki like function in game. Almost every D&D 5E keyword is up there. Monster look-up too. It's pretty neat.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

This is us:

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Ok, the Player's Handbook will be purchased this week.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Ha - shit, some of those might just be the beginning of our annoyances. we totally are going to have enforce push-to-talk, too. The beauty of voice comms.
Leisher wrote:

I just have no clue what I'm doing.
It's a daunting amount of info, the majority is unnecessary. The good stuff is the common sense and problem solving. The basics are pretty easy to grasp.

If anyone is the type of person that can sponge up info through a podcast, I highly recommend The Adventure Zone podcast. It goes over the basic rules and they run-through a simple module. It's pretty funny and informative.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

I'm taking my niece to the Daddy/daughter dance next Friday night (her dad died about a year and half ago and i'm the closest she's got to a father) and i won't be home until 8 eastern at the earliest. For something like this i'd like to have the chaos at my house settled so 10 pm is probably the best time for me to start. Sorry, i hate to be the one with all the time restrictions but i can't help that right now.

I'm all for playing this though, I've been reading the class info that you posted and i'll play any of them. Most interested in playing something like the tanky warrior type like a fighter or barbarian or a straight up rouge assassin. But i'll play whatever roll needs to be filled Paladins and Rangers interest me too.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Also, i think i found a digital PDF version of the 5E PHB online, is this it? sure looks like it.

https://www.docdroid.net/diJShFA/dd-5e- ... ndbook.pdf
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Troy

Post by Troy »

Stranger wrote: Sorry, i hate to be the one with all the time restrictions but i can't help that right now.
It's all good - do what you can and fit it into your schedule as RL permits.

I think this whole thing will be a little like herding cats, so it's not going to be perfect. As long as if at some point in the Friday session everyone who wants to can be present for the intro, they'll be all set to drop in and out of the campaign smoothly as we schedule sessions.

Maybe we can iron out your dude ahead of time and you can just sit-down and roll when you are free on Friday?
Last edited by Troy on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.