Google/Alphabet

Leisher
Site Admin

Google

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:14 pm I already pay for the ad free version so it's fine.
Until they decide they can make more money by adding ads OR making you pay more, which always happens as the cycle is endless.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Google

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:10 pm I can't tell if this is about YouTube and/or YouTubeTV... The article is really vague, but talks heavily about TVs.

Unskippable 30 sec ads on the way.
Looks like the real YouTube to me. Which I don't pay for, and the ads already suck
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Google

Post by GORDON »

I watch enough plain YouTube that it's worth the $11 to me. I don't know how anyone would use it regularly with ads.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Google

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:15 pm I watch enough plain YouTube that it's worth the $11 to me. I don't know how anyone would use it regularly with ads.
I watch about 1 video a week, and it's super annoying to me.
Leisher
Site Admin

Google

Post by Leisher »

Google came up with the brilliant idea to allow .zip web addresses. This guy explains why this is monumentally stupid.

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Google

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Google

Post by GORDON »

Party's over, companies are ditching happy customers for a philosophy of "how far can we piss them off til they quit."

See: airlines
Leisher
Site Admin

Google

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:27 pm Party's over, companies are ditching happy customers for a philosophy of "how far can we piss them off til they quit."
Got to keep pushing the unsustainable "make more profit every quarter for Wall St." system.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Google

Post by TheCatt »

It's only fair that those people sit through the same shitty ads I sit through. Or pay like Gordon.

But man it was nice to be an early adblocking adopter and not have ads for so long.
GORDON
Site Admin

Google

Post by GORDON »

I watch enough YT that the $11/month (or whatever) is well worth it.
GORDON
Site Admin

Google

Post by GORDON »

TheCatt wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:43 pm But man it was nice to be an early adblocking adopter and not have ads for so long.
Is there a way to block them when off the PC, like watching YT on Chromecast, PS3, etc?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Google

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:49 pm
TheCatt wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:43 pm But man it was nice to be an early adblocking adopter and not have ads for so long.
Is there a way to block them when off the PC, like watching YT on Chromecast, PS3, etc?
Some people use pi-holes or similar. But I've never tried it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Google

Post by Leisher »

Playables

From what I understand this is basically mobile/casual games that will be played in YouTube, which I believe absolutely nobody asked for?
Leisher
Site Admin

Google

Post by Leisher »

Turning off internet for certain users in the name of cybersecurity.

It's a trial, but this is hilarious.

If the world's top internet company is turning off the internet for its users...
Leisher
Site Admin

Google/Alphabet

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Google/Alphabet

Post by GORDON »

I don't think that's a good idea.
Leisher
Site Admin

Google/Alphabet

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Google/Alphabet

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Google/Alphabet

Post by TheCatt »

Just did the search to see if it's real, and it is.

TheCatt
Site Admin

Google/Alphabet

Post by TheCatt »

Wired published a story about how google altered search queries to make more money about a week ago, with content like this
"Google likely alters queries billions of times a day in trillions of different variations. Here’s how it works. Say you search for “children’s clothing.” Google converts it, without your knowledge, to a search for “NIKOLAI-brand kidswear,” making a behind-the-scenes substitution of your actual query with a different query that just happens to generate more money for the company, and will generate results you weren’t searching for at all. It’s not possible for you to opt out of the substitution. If you don’t get the results you want, and you try to refine your query, you are wasting your time. This is a twisted shopping mall you can’t escape."
I was super skeptical, but have been busy the past week and never looked into it. Just seemed like a way too obvious way to get caught

Today, they retracted it.