2020 General Election Thread

For stuff that is general.
TheCatt
Site Admin
Posts: 43977
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 11:15 pm
Location: Cary, NC

2020 General Election Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Yes, they should, and have been doing so for a long time.

Sugar is death. Tax the hell out of it. :D. We already pay for some peoples healthcare, etc, why not be smarter about that.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin
Posts: 49224
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: DTManistan
Contact:

2020 General Election Thread

Post by GORDON »

I was told the "slippery slope" argument was invalid, and the government getting involved in healthcare would not lead them to trying to tell people how they should live.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin
Posts: 43977
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 11:15 pm
Location: Cary, NC

2020 General Election Thread

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I was told the "slippery slope" argument was invalid,
It is. It's lazy and means you cannot argue the point being argued.
GORDON wrote: and the government getting involved in healthcare would not lead them to trying to tell people how they should live.
At what point should the government just replace our bodies with robots, for us?
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin
Posts: 49224
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: DTManistan
Contact:

2020 General Election Thread

Post by GORDON »

Depends on who you ask
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin
Posts: 52756
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 9:17 pm
Contact:

2020 General Election Thread

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote:Depends on who you ask
This right here is the problem with the government being our mommy. It's also why the government shouldn't be involved in healthcare. Conflicting interests.

Rs, Ds, men, women, black, white, Muslim, Christian, etc. are all going to have different ideas about what's bad for you and what isn't. Thus, we're going to wind up with "sin taxes" on fucking everything.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin
Posts: 49224
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: DTManistan
Contact:

2020 General Election Thread

Post by GORDON »

Which was exactly my point. It's fine that a "rational" person would say, "Well everyone knows where the line is." But no, in fact, they all have differing opinions about the line.

"The slippery slope argument is invalid" is exactly what everyone says when they know they're putting us at the top of a slippery slope.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin
Posts: 43977
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 11:15 pm
Location: Cary, NC

2020 General Election Thread

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Which was exactly my point. It's fine that a "rational" person would say, "Well everyone knows where the line is." But no, in fact, they all have differing opinions about the line.
Remember when alcohol was illegal? And pot was illegal everywhere? remember the slippery slope of banning all those things?
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin
Posts: 49224
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: DTManistan
Contact:

2020 General Election Thread

Post by GORDON »

No idea what your point is. Those things had horrible consequences.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin
Posts: 52756
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 9:17 pm
Contact:

2020 General Election Thread

Post by Leisher »

Young progressives hate Pete.

If I'm being honest, the activists sound insane. If you truly believe ANY candidate is going to "save you", you're probably extremely brainwashed and misinformed.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin
Posts: 43977
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 11:15 pm
Location: Cary, NC

2020 General Election Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
If I'm being honest, the activists sound insane. If you truly believe ANY candidate is going to "save you", you're probably extremely brainwashed and misinformed.
Agreed. Youth are dumb.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Vince
Posts: 8619
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 10:00 pm
Location: In bed with your mom

2020 General Election Thread

Post by Vince »

Biden recently told coal workers to learn to code.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin
Posts: 52756
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 9:17 pm
Contact:

2020 General Election Thread

Post by Leisher »

Vince wrote: Biden recently told coal workers to learn to code.
Dick thing to say, but is he wrong?

Things change. Jobs become obsolete. Perhaps he should have discussed his plan to retrain coal workers for new skills?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin
Posts: 49224
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:43 pm
Location: DTManistan
Contact:

2020 General Election Thread

Post by GORDON »

Generally good advice... I heard of one community that was teaching former coal miners how to keep bees.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin
Posts: 43977
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 11:15 pm
Location: Cary, NC

2020 General Election Thread

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
Vince wrote: Biden recently told coal workers to learn to code.
Dick thing to say, but is he wrong?

Things change. Jobs become obsolete. Perhaps he should have discussed his plan to retrain coal workers for new skills?
Maybe Vince is saying they're too dumb to get new jobs?
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin
Posts: 52756
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 9:17 pm
Contact:

2020 General Election Thread

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote:
Leisher wrote:
Vince wrote: Biden recently told coal workers to learn to code.
Dick thing to say, but is he wrong?

Things change. Jobs become obsolete. Perhaps he should have discussed his plan to retrain coal workers for new skills?
Maybe Vince is saying they're too dumb to get new jobs?
Leisher wrote: Dick thing to say, but is he wrong?
:D
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince
Posts: 8619
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 10:00 pm
Location: In bed with your mom

2020 General Election Thread

Post by Vince »

I mostly found it ironic because people were getting banned for saying the same thing to reporters that were losing their jobs because their papers, websites, etc were closing. Members of the press made a big stink about how insensitive it was.

I was never a big time coder. I know that they probably couldn't be network guys. Half the network guys didn't really need to be network guys.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Vince
Posts: 8619
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 10:00 pm
Location: In bed with your mom

2020 General Election Thread

Post by Vince »

"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Leisher
Site Admin
Posts: 52756
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 9:17 pm
Contact:

2020 General Election Thread

Post by Leisher »

Ha!
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin
Posts: 52756
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 9:17 pm
Contact:

2020 General Election Thread

Post by Leisher »

CNN continues attacking Biden.

They really don't want him winning the nomination, which is odd because he's the only one projected to beat Trump.

AOC blasts him too. That doesn't bode well for the insane left vote if Biden gets the nomination.

The Dems seem to be seriously fractured.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince
Posts: 8619
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 10:00 pm
Location: In bed with your mom

2020 General Election Thread

Post by Vince »

Leisher wrote:The Dems seem to be seriously fractured.
They really do. It appears that the Twitter left is taking charge. But I don't think they represent more than maybe 30% of the actual party outside of social media.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Post Reply