Hacked

Leisher
Site Admin

Hacked

Post by Leisher »

So a national company down the street from mine got nailed pretty hard last week.

A user surfed an "inappropriate" site and downloaded something he or she shouldn't have. They then logged off and went home for the weekend. The next day, Saturday, whatever they downloaded went live. A Trojan horse. It went about encrypting every computer that was logged into the network. Everything.

The company had to pay $36,000 or so in Bitcoins to get their stuff unencrypted. They apparently had this covered by insurance! They paid a bit more for coverage, and that pays for a service that will convert your money to Bitcoins and then pay off the hackers.

I'm having lunch with their IT folks next month, so I'll let you know if I get more details.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Hacked

Post by GORDON »

We really need a simple JARVIS to keep shit like that trojan from encrypting every PC on a network.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."